Possible Refurb of the Contemporary

chancellor

Robfasto said:
This is from someone who does have access to a lot of information and places where he has sent me pictures from the balcony of Walt's Apartment in the Castle looking down Main Street and most recently on-site picture from Hong Kong Disneyland. With clearence that he can take anyone he pleases most anyplace on property which I do know from personal experence when we went back stage in 4 parks in 1 hour which also included a on-set tour of Pirates.
[/color][/size]

Are you the same Robfasto from disneypix.com? If so, welcome, and please feel free to spill the beans!

maelstrom

I LOVE the Contemporary and there is nowhere else on property I'd rather stay (and I've also stayed at the Poly, WL, PO, DL, Dolphin, CBR). I don't think the room decor is gaudy at all; it's bright and happy. We hated staying at the Poly because it was so dreary. The Contemporary is clearly not lacking in guest interest in staying there, because the line for check-in is always long and when we call for AP rates, unless we call the second they come out, the Contemporary is always gone, but the Poly and AKL still remain. The view from the tower cannot be beat. I love this resort, and I'd be heartbroken if it got so rehabbed that it was drastically different or if they included DVC at the resort.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Woody 13:The only thing more American than apple pie is French fries.
*actually Woody, French Fries are Belgian :rolleyes:

Stitchfan712:
I couldn't live without California Grill!!

That restaurant collectively defeats every single restaurant in WDW, in my opinion. Surpassing even the best of World Showcase.

Sorry that I can't agree with that. I believe it is the most overhyped, most poorly managed restaurant on the property. They present the expectation that everyone can get fireworks view seats, and we know that can't happen. I have not been able to bring myself to return with the new entrance arrangement (after two disasters and one disappointing evening) to try it again, but the PS and Maitre d' arrogance is unacceptable only compounded by the concentration of some of the rudest guests you can find on property. The waitstaff is great, but alwasy having to apologize for others. I would rather Flying Fish, Yachtsman's. Citrico's, Artist Point, and definitely V&A's any day.
I would be more than happy to make it into a restaurant proper over the restaurant/lounge it still has the remnants of.

As for the Contemporary itself, I think the architecture is OK. The debate on what is contemporary I won't get into, except that this design bears no "classic" components, so by default is...
When younger I did look at this as similar to what Master Yoda and others relate to a "Jetsons" theme. While I would love a "Jetsons" or retro Jules Verne SF theme and think it could be carried off with the basic structure, I don't think it necessary or even appropriate at this time.

I enjoy visiting the Contemporary but don't choose to stay there. It is just too similar to the Hyatt's, Hiltons and Marriots I stay at in most cities (without the monorail of course).

As for American Adventure food, while we rarely eat there, there are not many places for hot dogs and hamburgers in Epcot. I do like the idea of two restaurants as many countries have, with a sit down and "take out" choice.

Woody13

ClemsonTigger said:
*actually Woody, French Fries are Belgian :rolleyes:

Thomas Jefferson brought the recipe back to the Colonies from France in the late 1700s and named them as "potatoes, fried in the French manner". A nom de plume far too long and complicated for patrons of today's fast-food joints, the name was shortened to an understandable "french fries". In France, they are still known as "pommes frites" (derived from "pommes de terre" or apples from the ground—potatoes).

*This information is provided by Michael W. Davidson and The Florida State University.*

The Belgians are noted for claiming that french fries are Belgian in origin, but have presented no convincing evidence to support their claim. I agree with your other comments!:wave:

Budke

ClemsonTigger said:
I believe it is the most overhyped, most poorly managed restaurant on the property.

I also agree. I eat out a lot (my wife is a former food critic), and I enjoy Disney's 3-star restaurants much better than their 4-star facilities. It is almost like Disney's restaurant group is so fearful that someone might come away from one of their 4-star restaurants with a bad experience that they don't take many chances at them.

My memory of two visits to the California Grill consist of well-prepared but bland, uninspired meals; many apologies for this or that issue (often which we wouldn't have noticed if someone hadn't apologized for it); and (my personal pet peeve) a reluctance on the part of servers to show much interest in serving us after they discover we don't want wine or alcohol.

(Can anyone confirm/deny if the wait staff at California Grill and other high-end restaurants at Disney earn a commission on alcohol sales? Many restaurants will "sell" bottles of wine to wait staff and then allow them to "resell" the wine to their customers (this allows a greater number of wines to be available by the glass and gives servers an incentive to push/recommend an already open bottle).)

But I can't recall a bad experience at any of Disney's 3-star restaurants. We probably had one or two, but they don't tend to stick in the mind like a mediocre meal at a supposedly great place. Instead, the great meals at the "lesser" restaurants make me want to return to Disney sooner. The thought of dinner at Ohana or Boma .... great. Now whatever I have for dinner tonight will seem like a let down.

Gail Hayden

BeachClub1 said:
I'd wouldn't be to sad to see the Quick service style atmosphere go at American Adventure. I think it would be nicer to have a casual, sit down restraunt that served a good burger, not a fast food burger. But not a formal restraunt. :slurp:

Have to agree with you on this one.

aklodge

Yea, I agree, too.

(PS the reason I havent been posting lately is because I have not had internet for a while. Hope to get it back on soon.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom