Possible Refurb of the Contemporary

Stitch79

Original Poster
There was a snippet in today's dining article in the Orlando Sentinel about a possible refurbishment of the Contemporary and its restaurants; as well as some changes to the EPCOT restaurants. The thoughts mentioned all sound great to me, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

Here is what was mentioned and a link to the original article.

When Contemporary is old

The Hound has learned that Disney's Contemporary Resort is headed for a complete overhaul, including the top floor, top-notch California Grill. New York designer Jeffery Beers has been tapped to do the redo. Designs are still in the wishful-thinking phase, so nothing has been sketched out. You can, however, say good-bye to the Jetsons-era lobby -- that was so last century. And I hear that besides doing the existing restaurants, which also include Concourse Steakhouse and Chef Mickey's don't-call-it-a-buffet buffet, Disney's culineers are planning a new restaurant to join the dinner lineup. Think something more for adults but without Paris Hilton attached. More details later.

While we're at Disney, watch for a major announcement on renovations at Epcot, with special focus on the restaurants surrounding the World Showcase. Any official word is still a few months away -- and we've heard this before -- but this may finally signal a new restaurant for the United States pavilion. I can tell you one disappointing detail: The idea to perhaps make the dining venues accessible without admission to the theme park is off the table.

Entire Article

djmatthews

The refurb of the Contempoary Resort has been talked about in another thread somewhere. I think work was likely to begin after work on the Poly has been completed.

Lauriebar

I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the feeling of the Contemporary, I guess. I do agree that it does need some updates though. As long as I can still watch the monorails enter and exit from outside of my tower room I'll be happy with whatever they do!!!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While a general spruce-up rehab to the Contemporary would be great I would hate to see the “Jetsons” lobby go. Revamping the dinning in the America section of world show case is a definite must. Every other country has at least one great restaurant that reflects that countries cuisine and what does America have a hamburger quick service restaurant. It would be great to see a really nice table service restaurant with a menu that would cover many of the eclectic tastes present in this country. Stuff like NY brick oven pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, Deep South fried chicken, Tex-mex style food, etc.

bgraham34

I do believe updates are needed there. Not sure if I like the place, but I dont hate it. To me its not very inviting.

flawless777

I have a personal bond with the Contemporary

I was working at the Contemporary during its rehab in the early 90's. The
"updated" (at the time) lobby was quite a change from its former design. The problem with this particular property is that it's tough to stay true to its name -- Contemporary. All the other Disney resorts have a well defined theme, but the Contemporary has to continually evolve, because our perception of "being Contemporary" constantly changes. This poses quite a challenge for any designer. I have to admit, I like the "Jetson's" lobby.

ToTBellHop

Oh, I say gut the whole building...it's the ugliest resort at wdw and I can't believe people pay those rates to stay there...the moderates have better theming. Go with a New Tomorrowland look--then I'd consider staying there!

I'm glad to hear the American Adventure will finally get a sit-down restaurant...and I'll finally be able to get a good burger and fries in World Showcase ;)

bhg469

Master Yoda said:
While a general spruce-up rehab to the Contemporary would be great I would hate to see the “Jetsons” lobby go. Revamping the dinning in the America section of world show case is a definite must. Every other country has at least one great restaurant that reflects that countries cuisine and what does America have a hamburger quick service restaurant. It would be great to see a really nice table service restaurant with a menu that would cover many of the eclectic tastes present in this country. Stuff like NY brick oven pizza, Chicago style hot dogs, Deep South fried chicken, Tex-mex style food, etc.

i agree about the american restaurant but i wouldent mind to see something similiar to liberty tree style food as well. it would work well with the theme of the area but adding those regional dishes to the menu would work really well if they added them to the counter service they have it makes prefect sens to do it, the only thing ill ask is to stay away from making chicken wings, i have no idea why its so hard but disney cant make a good chicken wing. :hurl:

TheOneVader

I wouldn't really like a sit-down at American Adventure. It's one of the olnly fast food places in World Showcase... Unless I'm overlooking some...

Lauriebar

Depends on what you mean by "fast food". If you mean counter service then there are many in WS, if you mean burgers and fries I think you are right about it being the only place to go.:)

MonoRon

I love the Contemporary, when the parks are crowded just head over there, grab a drink and sit on the dock. Watch all the boats drive by, hear the birds and wildlife...its really a nice setting. But in all honesty I can't stand the loby and I'm glad it's getting refurb.

TheOneVader

Lauriebar said:
Depends on what you mean by "fast food". If you mean counter service then there are many in WS, if you mean burgers and fries I think you are right about it being the only place to go.:)

Yea, I meant burger and fries. I liked going there to get a burger and fries... The only place will be Electric Umbrella, now. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Umbrella, but it'll be crowded.

TomorrowlandTyler

I'd wouldn't be to sad to see the Quick service style atmosphere go at American Adventure. I think it would be nicer to have a casual, sit down restraunt that served a good burger, not a fast food burger. But not a formal restraunt. :slurp:

Stitchfan712

Shame, i like the way the contemporary is right now. Especially the california grill.

What i don't like, however, is how dirty some areas sometimes are. Especially down around the food and fun center.

dizneeboy

I've stayed at the Contemporary several times in the tower and love it. Its expensive, but they always seem to be running some sort of deal. Plus, the views are amazing and the atmosphere in general is very cool. I think the rooms are great as far as size and comfort.

TTATraveler

I have never stayed at the Contemp, but agree that there isn't much theming there nor is it worth the extra money to stay in a tower room. I think Speck had a thread going on the Contemp changes i.e. new pool, room redesigns, etc. At this point, I don't think they can make the place worse, it can only get better. I look forward to a "New Contemporary" to visit.

As to the American fast food restuarant: no big loss if it goes away. There is nothing special about the place. I think the place would be better if it was a full service restaurant with fare similar to the Plaza in the MK: good burgers, salads, sandwiches and the like.

Main Street USA

Yeah, I had always thought that WDW could use a "future that never was" type of hotel, just like they rethemed Tomorrowland. Not only would it be really cool, but just like Tomorrowland, it would never become outdated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom