Possible Frontierland expansion

doctornick

Original Poster
And that's what happens when you say, "Eh, forests don't show age as much as concrete spires do." So you can keep on ignoring Frontierland until one day, management says "We're tired of paying for square footage around the river that makes no money back to us. Isn't there any project worth making it shorter?"

DL finally got theirs, and I wager it will be worth it. In 10-20 years, will WDW get a river shortening project as grand as Star Wars Land?

I do hope that whenever attention is turned to WDW's Frontierland, that the powers that be think big and plan for the future and will actually design things in order to use the land around the northern side of the RoA. I'm really afraid they'll box themselves in and prevent future access to that land (or at least may it far too cost prohibitive to consider). With DL going that direction, it would be a shame if MK doesn't have the same option in the future -- and it's a ton of land and space that could be used for a lot of new and different things.

Plus, of course, just help with the guest flow in the park by connecting Liberty Sq/Fantasyland to Frontierland by the other side of the RoA. Would be great during parades.

HauntedMansionFLA

And that's what happens when you say, "Eh, forests don't show age as much as concrete spires do." So you can keep on ignoring Frontierland until one day, management says "We're tired of paying for square footage around the river that makes no money back to us. Isn't there any project worth making it shorter?"

DL finally got theirs, and I wager it will be worth it. In 10-20 years, will WDW get a river shortening project as grand as Star Wars Land?
I could see them draining the river where the swinging bridge is located and shorten ROA like DLR. Look at all the land that could be used for that area. Splash and BigThunder are awesome along with Haunted Mansion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Fascinating, since this is exactly what happened in 1971 when they chose to invest into Space Mountain instead of the Western River Expedition...
Space (Port) and Thunder Mesa were both planned in 71.

It was guests demand for PotC that nailed the coffin of WRE.

Regarding Frontierland, it won’t stay the same forever. Some changes may happen sooner than others.

Last edited:

michmousefan

I do hope that whenever attention is turned to WDW's Frontierland, that the powers that be think big and plan for the future and will actually design things in order to use the land around the northern side of the RoA. I'm really afraid they'll box themselves in and prevent future access to that land (or at least may it far too cost prohibitive to consider). With DL going that direction, it would be a shame if MK doesn't have the same option in the future -- and it's a ton of land and space that could be used for a lot of new and different things.

Plus, of course, just help with the guest flow in the park by connecting Liberty Sq/Fantasyland to Frontierland by the other side of the RoA. Would be great during parades.
Good point... even Disneyland, with its limited space, will have that back-of-park route available... kind of crazy that the MK still has that Frontierland dead-end. Unless you board the train, I guess...

Ismael Flores

I never understood why they locked themselves in with the new Fantasyland expansion. Seems like they could have built the Beauty and the beast section as well as the Mermaid ride closer to the train tracks and expanded both of those two properties more with a bigger Belle village or had more room to add a few more ride time to the Dwarf coaster. It would also left room for future expansions of fantasyland behind the IASW building with future properties adding capacity to a park that needs it.
If they were not so cheap they could have easily built a big wherehouse behind IASW and relocate that attraction opening up the walkways.

I guess at this point if they want to add another IP based area they could use that forested area behind Fantasyland to add a zootopia section. Maybe they can connected via the circus area. At least zootopia could be a lush green environment that would eventually connect that back of the park to Frontierland in that northern section of the park allowing for better park flow

Last edited:

doctornick

Original Poster
I never understood why they locked themselves in with the new Fantasyland expansion. Seemed to my like they could have built the Beauty and the beast section as well as the Mermaid ride closer to the train tracks and expanded both of those two properties more with a bigger Belle village or had more room to add a few more ride time to the Dwarf coaster. It would also left room for future expansions of fantasyland behind the IASW building with future properties adding capacity to a park that needs it.
If they were not so cheap they could have easily built a big wherehouse behind IASW and relocate that attraction opening up the walkways and

The biggest issue is that would have required going over a very large and heavily used access road. So, they'd either have had to redirect that road significantly or provided guest pathways with high enough clearances to go allow for the needed transport to past underneath on the existing road.

I agree, though, that it was shortsighted the way they enclosed stuff in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom