Possible Frontierland expansion

Mike S

9 and under, which is a pretty sizeable chunk of MK's demographic.
So, a second MK. Isn't that what they're doing with Epcot though? ;)

A fifth park would be a total waste when that money could be put instead into the three other parks. If SWL and Avatar could cost $1 Billion each, how much do you think a whole park is going to tie them up? It's just not a smart move.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I haven't been down since Frozen in Epcot. Is it not helping the bottlenecks in Fantasyland?
No idea, but I don't think that a single attraction is going to make a huge difference. At best, it might cause a few people to park hop.

Now 20 attractions of the Frozen. POTC, HM, LM ilk, could pull some numbers from MK.

Mike S

No idea, but I don't think that a single attraction is going to make a huge difference. At best, it might cause a few people to park hop.

Now 20 attractions of the Frozen. POTC, HM, LM ilk, could pull some numbers from MK.
Shanghai didn't even open with 20 rides. It opened with 14. Once again, simply adding those rides to existing parks would be the better option.

doctornick

Original Poster
If the Flying Carpets were removed from Adventureland, is there room to add another, higher capacity attraction in it's place?

There's plenty of space in MK for additional attractions without replacing anything: A large expansion pad in Adventureland, room in TL behind (south of) Laugh Floor/Buzz (current backstage parking) plus 2 large areas outside the berm in TL. There is a sort of expansion pad in Frontierland west of Splash.

There's also a lot of space that isn't designated for expansion but would theoretically be used: a ton of room on the north side of the RoA that could be added to Frontierland or Liberty Sq (or for a new land), land on the other side of Magic Kingdom Drive north of the current Fantasyland, etc.

Point being, if they want to actually expand at MK they could. The issue is that while MK needs increased capacity, it doesn't need more crowds. So the best bet in the short term is to expand the other three parks like crazy. Doing stuff like adding 5-10 attractions to each of them in addition to the announced plans (yeah, I know, would never happen, but that is what they should do). If you do that, you can add some more under the radar stuff to MK simultaneously that won't crush MK with increased crowds because people will already be dispersing to other parks.

Princess Leia

Shudder.

There again I don't see TWDC aiming a park at a limited demographic.
I think that's why the 'Villains' park rumor (that never seems to go away) probably won't happen. Sure, I wouldn't be opposed to a separate land next to Fantasyland, but Disney would be alienating the under 9 crowd, plus their parents and siblings if they built that park. "Villainsland" (which would need a better name) could have 2 or 3 rides (Bald Mountain + Snow White's Scary Adventure/Ariel's Scary Adventure- which I would want more than Snow White, and maybe something with Jafar), as well as the Halloween show with the Sanderson sisters. They could even stick the Maleficent dragon somewhere (maybe under Bald Mountain?).

Again, I'd rather some updates come to the MK in the meantime, while the other parks get more attractions, but I wouldn't be opposed to a MK land like this.

jt04

It should've happened multiple times a decade ago. WDW is so underfunded they can't even do enough with what they already are adding. They are trying to play catch up with the second tier parks, mainly due to Universal's gains, but MK is left out. I mean look st Space mountain!

Seriously, you can't be this blind to what they are doing at the other parks.

jt04

It makes sense, but MK SHOULD at the very least get updates to the current attractions like Space, Pan, Thunder, and IASW. Not to mention a Paris like arcade would be great for Main Street.

Too early. Wait until they finish DAK 2.0, DHS 2.0 and Epcot 2.0.

lazyboy97o

DHS has to take priority. It seems that with major construction ongoing in 2 of the 4 parks...as well as work being done throughout other parts of the resort..they are spread a bit thin right now...just my opinion.
Being stretched thin has absolutely nothing to do with it. Walt Disney Imagineering is not some tiny group where everyone works on everything. Staffing is project driven, not the other way around. If the issue was manpower then Walt Disney Imagineering would not have just had a nice round of layoffs plus the end of contracts with freelancers and consultants.

Kman101

Right. They need to build a bunch of unremarkable, but high capacity attraction that people will do while in the park but aren't "wow" enough to cause people to make a special trip or add days for MK. They already built one such thing with Little Mermaid ;)

And they did double the capacity for Dumbo, but it's a drop in the bucket.

Magic Kingdom needs far more than Mermaid, Mine Train and Dueling Dumbos. Unfortunately they've wasted so much time that they're always going to be behind. And so are the other parks. And their lack of rushing things leaves us still years out for many things.

mitchk

I'm sorry I just jumped back in on this thread.... how much do we know at this point? Is it still gonna be an expansion off to the back right of Big Thunder, is it still just gonna be a S***e?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom