Possible Frontierland expansion

MaxW

I'm never one to hesitate in criticizing Disney for replacing rather than expanding, but to be fair there has been or will be a good bit of actual expanding going on at WDW:

* new areas being built at DAK: the FOTLK area and Harambe marketplace in Africa, Pandora (yes, it is replacing CMM, but is a far larger footprint) plus even some new builds like Riverside Depot and Tiffins on Discovery Island.
* In DHS, Toy Story Land will be in mostly formerly backstage area, Star Wars is going to take over some of the current parking lot and backstage. The new flex theater was an addition to the guest areas
* In MK, most of the FLE was reusing old space but the BatB area was previously backstage
* while most of us agree that it doesn't fit in Epcot, the M&G hall addition to Norway is developing new space
lol i know, i was kidding around. But i always appreciate a good counter point in discussions

Sonconato

I hope you are right. That area around the River is one of my favorite places in MK..
Yeah. If they fill in RoA, then where will these guys go?
IMG_2642.JPG
(I took this picture near Country Bear Jamboree while waiting for the Notorious Banjo Brothers and Bob Dec. 12th)

doctornick

Original Poster
Given the announcements of all the cuts I am worried the fate of this is more or less dead. Would love to be wrong.

Have we heard about any cuts from large capital investments? (Seriously, I don't think I've seen that -- in fact, Disney actually announced purchasing two new cruise ships.) The "cuts" we've heard from P&R are operational budgets it seems.

Sped2424

Have we heard about any cuts from large capital investments? (Seriously, I don't think I've seen that -- in fact, Disney actually announced purchasing two new cruise ships.) The "cuts" we've heard from P&R are operational budgets it seems.
Cruise line seems to operate on a different budget than the parks. From what we heard anaheim parking garages were being scaled back and other various things in the parks. I wouldn't be shocked if a frontierland expansion got put on hold due to these cuts. Not saying I am right but that I wouldn't be surprised.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
agree, MK is such a capacity issue though they need to do something, the place is bursting at the seams.
MK is in kind of a weird position right now. Any attraction you add that will increase capacity will in turn attract more people and defeat the purpose.

It is something you see in road design called induced demand. When a highway gets clogged up it is logical to add lanes to increase the capacity, but what happens is more people take the new and improved highway and the same problem starts all over again.

One of the ways you solve the problem is to give people other options.

Disney seems to be doing that very thing right now. AK has a big expansion and new night time show just around the corner, the Disney Springs Expansion is nearly finished and DHS is getting what could be one of the most popular theme park lands in history. Hopefully major work at Epcot is somewhere on the horizon as well.

This should, when complete, help to move guests from MK to other parts of the property and help relieve some of the strain on MK.

UpAllNight

MK is in kind of a weird position right now. Any attraction you add that will increase capacity will in turn attract more people and defeat the purpose.

It is something you see in road design called induced demand. When a highway gets clogged up it is logical to add lanes to increase the capacity, but what happens is more people take the new and improved highway and the same problem starts all over again.

One of the ways you solve the problem is to give people other options.

Disney seems to be doing that very thing right now. AK has a big expansion and new night time show just around the corner, the Disney Springs Expansion is nearly finished and DHS is getting what could be one of the most popular theme park lands in history. Hopefully major work at Epcot is somewhere on the horizon as well.

This should, when complete, help to move guests from MK to other parts of the property and help relieve some of the strain on MK.

Whilst I agree, Disney over the past decade has conditioned people to expect one or the other (or often nothing at all). With the money ringing through the tills, attendance doing what it is, it is entirely reasonable to expect the Walt Disney Company to solve this problem by investing In both quality options to divert guests away from MK and also offer new experiences to increase capacity at MK. The fact that this idea seems so alien to many is depressing, meanwhile what should be their premium product offers an experience which isn't what it could be.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Compelling, attractive people eaters would help too. They've tried various ways to persuade people to go elsewhere and so far they've not worked. They tried MyMagic and that didn't work.

Three rides the size of EPCOT Centers legacy attractions would take nearly 10,000 people an hour. That's 1/5 - 1/6 of average daily attendance.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Compelling, attractive people eaters would help too. They've tried various ways to persuade people to go elsewhere and so far they've not worked. They tried MyMagic and that didn't work.

Three rides the size of EPCOT Centers legacy attractions would take nearly 10,000 people an hour. That's 1/5 - 1/6 of average daily attendance.
Half a dozen b and c ticket omni-movers was what I wanted to see for the Fantasyland expansion. They are relatively inexpensive to build, staff and maintain, fit the demo for that section of the park and would have pulled thousands of guests off the sidewalks and into attractions every hour.

doctornick

Original Poster
Yeah, MK needs a bunch of high capacity complementary rides, not headliners. Little Mermaid was actually a good addition to that end. They should have had at least 1 if not 2 more dark rides as part of that expansion to help with crowds.

That said, I do think they should add at least one headliner E-ticket for the 50th; hopefully, by that time, they'll have build enough at the other parks to spread out crowds which would enable MK to hand additional guests and visits that the headliner would bring.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom