Possible Frontierland expansion

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
There's a service road back there, but it seems far enough off to the side and not a problem. I don't know what the other larger buildings in the area are used for. There's a particularly large one behind Splash Mountain that isn't connected to the ride itself.

I believe most of the buildings back there are for parade float storage and maintenance.

DisneyDrum

Great post - If you want a full picture of WRE check out FoxxFur's great posts on the subject: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/all-about-western-river-expedition-part.html

It was a very large expansion - with multiple rides on the footprint you've shown. The concept is actually fairly similar to star wars land-multiple experiences in an immersive environment. I don't think Disney would do an expansion like this without a known brand nowadays. But a western themed raft ride...that I could see. And it wouldn't require nearly as much space.

Wasn't WRE or some variation of it already ruled out with newer rumors of the Frontierland expansion?

The only info I can go on regarding WRE is what has been circulated online from models and descriptions. If this info is accurate, WRE would have likely called for a show building more or less the same size as Pirates. I'm not sure how accurate this placement or scale is, but here's a picture I found claiming where WRE's show building would have gone.
mkbptm.jpg

http://www.omniluxe.net/wyw/wre.htm

According to this site, it's actually an official Disney document, so it may be fairly accurate to the size and placement of WRE. The pink is apparently just the WRE part of the complex (not including the rest of Thunder Mesa). The land WRE would have occupied is currently mostly occupied by Big Thunder Mountain, WRE and BTM seem somewhat similar in size more or less.

The piece of land this expansion is currently rumored to be using is behind BTM, and above Splash Mountain. This land I suppose COULD be used for a decent sized show building, but there are several current obstacles in the area. There are several buildings back there, one of the smaller ones is the garage for the Big Thunder trains and you can't remove it (likely they won't move it either). I assume the body of water can be filled in. There's a service road back there, but it seems far enough off to the side and not a problem. I don't know what the other larger buildings in the area are used for. There's a particularly large one behind Splash Mountain that isn't connected to the ride itself.

EDIT- I did a little bit of image editing using a current overhead of Magic Kingdom and the old Thunder Mesa area plan above. I scaled and fitted the images together as accurately as I could manage and think I got a decent idea of the size of WRE's proposed show building. I took the WRE building and moved it over where the supposed Frontierland expansion is going, so you can get an idea how much land it would need and what obstructions need to be removed or circumvented.
nzbqeUM.png

Marc Davis Fan

WDW doesn't have a rapids ride? What about Kali River Rapids? Or are you talking about another ride mechanism?

I think they meant that Magic Kingdom doesn't have a rapids ride.

When I said "WDW doesn't have a major rapids ride," I meant because Kali didn't get made into the e-ticket that was originally planned, and was instead made into a relatively minor attraction rather than fulfilling the potential of that ride mechanism (or similar mechanisms).

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Is there something about this expansion pad that makes it easier or more appealing to develop as it's never really made sense to me when Tomorrowland is in a desperate state and Adventureland could do with a new headliner?

Frontierland is probably the land I would argue is least in need of expansion in MK.

I completely agree. Frontierland has two E-Ticket attractions in one land as it is... Side by side, for that matter. Adventureland is desperate for something outside of Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean...

ToTBellHop

I completely agree. Frontierland has two E-Ticket attractions in one land as it is... Side by side, for that matter. Adventureland is desperate for something outside of Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean...
Does it really matter where they build it? The park needs capacity and they have a concept and an expansion plot available. Now all they need is the money. That's the easy step, right???

doctornick

Original Poster
Is there something about this expansion pad that makes it easier or more appealing to develop as it's never really made sense to me when Tomorrowland is in a desperate state and Adventureland could do with a new headliner?

Frontierland is probably the land I would argue is least in need of expansion in MK.

The main benefit IMHO of expanding Frontierland would be to increase the total guest accessible land in the park and provide more room for guest capacity. Basically, I think it would make sense to expand there as long as the intent is to continue expanding north around the RoA and provide more space (and hopefully a connection to Liberty Square eventually).

But, yeah, in terms of where to put new attractions, I would put a big E-ticket in Adventureland and an expansion in TL as much more important priorities. I hope that the $350M allotted to MK might include at least one new big ride for the park.

mitchk

I think they meant that Magic Kingdom doesn't have a rapids ride.

Around 2005 there were plans to change Tom Sawyer's Island into a version of grizzly River run from California Adventure, also plans for a change to Pirates Island, similar to the Disneyland version of the old Tom Sawyer Island ... But....

bjm72385

I believe most of the buildings back there are for parade float storage and maintenance.
The building that is cut off at the bottom of @MerlinTheGoat photo is indeed the float storage building where the MSEP, Move it Shake it Dance and Play, as well as the Christmas parade floats are stored. We toured this building on the backstage tour last week. Our tour guide mentioned that a new building had to be built or modified for FoF parade floats bc they were too high to fit in that building, and pointed north of where we were. Is the building west of Splash this building?

On a side note, last week wasn't even the busiest week and I was surprised at how bad a traffic jam it was between Splash and BTM when we were there. IMO the thought of adding a third E-ticket to this area is recipe for disaster. I'm never doubting Disney, but I would think it'd be more feasible to add a new path between HM and RoA and add a new E-ticket north of HM (with a reconfigured queue for HM of course) if they want to add to this side of the park.

doctornick

Original Poster
Bye bye ROA :(

It really makes no sense to do so. They could easily just build around the river -- unlike DL, there is a ton of undeveloped/available space that could be used around the north side of the river (and connecting Liberty Square to Frontierland that way). There's no reason to get rid of the RoA especially since filling that in wouldn't exactly be cheap.

Completely going off topic, but if they wanted to continue to build around the RoA and wanted to continue to chronological/geographical progression, a great choice for a new land would be something themed to the Pacific Northwest or Alaska Klondike Gold Rush. That would be both further west and later in time.

HauntedMansionFLA

It really makes no sense to do so. They could easily just build around the river -- unlike DL, there is a ton of undeveloped/available space that could be used around the north side of the river (and connecting Liberty Square to Frontierland that way). There's no reason to get rid of the RoA especially since filling that in wouldn't exactly be cheap.

Completely going off topic, but if they wanted to continue to build around the RoA and wanted to continue to chronological/geographical progression, a great choice for a new land would be something themed to the Pacific Northwest or Alaska Klondike Gold Rush. That would be both further west and later in time.
I hope so. Going on the boat ride on ROA or going over to TS island is a great way to relax and take a break but still take in some Disney magic. I just have a bad feeling that Disney might take a look at this.

PorterRedkey

If they put an E- ticket behind BTM, is there enough room for them to place an a circular path that went from the current dead end by BTM, around to the new e-ticket and then back to the main path?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom