Possible Attraction in France pavilion (Epcot) Update - new Attraction Greenlit

WDW1974

With no inside knowledge at all here, I too have a hard time seeing Brazil actually getting a pavilion, at least anytime soon. It just doesn't seem all that realistic.

It doesn't to me either. But I trust @marni1971 ... just like myself, he doesn't make stuff up (cough ... Corless ... cough ... Hill ... cough Twitter accounts with no names) for reaction. So, I do believe it is being seriously considered. Whether it happens, that's another matter.

WDW1974

Any symbolic strike on anything related to the Jewish state by an Islamic terrorist group that sees Israel as an illegitimate occupying state would be a huge deal. I didn't mean WDW is t already a target - I meant that this pavilion would probably cause a LOT of issues in today's political climate, and yes I believe that building an Israeli pavilion today would be a much larger deal (in ways of headaches for TWDC) than it would have been 30 years ago.

I won't delve deeper into this as it's bordering on/venturing into politics. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you have to admit that in the past, this would t have caused nearly the issues it would today.

And we have to agree to disagree RE: the more controversial country. Even in the current state of American politics, there are plenty of people in this world who see Israel as MUCH more controversial.

I think the discussion is pointless because Israel isn't getting a pavilion anymore than Iran or Saudi Arabia is.

And WDW is a target because it is American and a strike on it would be like having coordinated attacks at six Walmarts across the USA on Black Friday. It would have a chilling effect on our country. So to play the 'Israel is controversial' card is just a waste of our time. The USA is controversial ... we just committed an act of war against Syria the other night (whether you agree or not with what we did) ... people are out to harm us.

WDW1974

They would love to build a Beauty and the Beast ride in Epcot. But, they want a new ride to open there in Summer 2019. Beauty and the Beast couldn't meet that timeline. So we will get Rat.

All of this talk about what is right or wrong for Epcot didn't enter the actual conversation in the least. Those who make decisions don't really care about the original intent of each park. Decisions on which attractions to add are based upon where and when there is a need and whether there is an appropriate IP available to maintain adequate traffic flow through the gift shop.

At least Rat is a good ride.

No way does Rat open by summer of 2019 (basically two years from now). This is Disney. I wonder if they could have it open by summer of 2020.

Oh, but fully agree they don't care about the intent of the parks.

There's a whole generation (or two) who believes the theme of the MK's lands is all supposed to be DISNEY.

Buried20KLeague

Nope.

It is one of my favorite Disney attractions anywhere. I believe @WDWFigment would agree ... I think @Buried20KLeague too!

Having been on every Disney ride on the planet... sindbad is far and away my family's vote for the best on the planet. The fact that ride doesn't have a constant 30 minute line is a TRAVESTY. It's Disney storytelling st it's absolute finest... accompanied by what we feel is the best musical track ever created for a ride anywhere.

WDW1974

pretty sad when that was the foundation these parks were built/designed on. Its all about the buck and how much toddler merch they can push.

Take a look at their marketing. You always see children, usually under tween age ... they have turned a resort for all ages into one that caters to mommy bloggers and their young kids. The ideas of people visiting without kids or grands is totally against what the WDW of the 21st century has become. It is dumbed down because everything has to be OK for a seven-year-old princess.

And moving merchandise is a huge part of that ... why do you think Chappie was named P&R head? I actually visited one of the Disney outlet stores today and ... it just amazes me at what people buy at original prices ... $21.95 for Christmas ornaments ... $34.99 for 28 & Main tees (that look like they'll last one washing) ... $14.95 for pins ... etc etc. And so much of it doesn't move at all, but it doesn't matter because the profit margin on that crap is so, so high.

WDW1974

Well, they also care about guest satisfaction numbers. Unfortunately there aren't that many of us who remember classic Epcot and care enough to move guest satisfaction more than a point.

Guest satisfaction scores are largely a joke that are used to justify decisions already made.

It just is like the lunacy that no one liked the original EPCOT attractions ... sure, it was only the second or third most visited park on the planet, but no one liked WoM, Horizons, UoE etc. They like it better as a giant outdoor bar ...

Nothing like trading in 25-minute attractions for 2:50 ones, while Burbank is asking 'Can you cut another 20 seconds off that?'

WDW1974

What saddens me (and I don't want to extend this conversation much further off-topic) is that I don't feel they gave the concept of Epcot enough of a fair shot. I understand that cartoon E-tickets are popular. I love them to--in appropriate locations. But, despite arguments to the contrary, I do think the original concept of Epcot could still work in 2017. Yes, you would have to modify. Universe of Energy is long for today's crowd. But I still believe you can have a park set in reality that is striving to educate and entertain guests. They still do this at DAK. So the idea that this must be abandoned to make Epcot successful is patently false to me. But, here we are anyway. Best we can hope to learn about is wine, flowers, and (only) Disney art.

No. They started to give up on it under Eisner and then Iger just ran with totally destroying it ...

Kman101

Seeing the ads constantly as I live in Florida, WDW largely seems to center them around the magical time the kidlets can have. That's all they show. I did see one ad a couple of years ago that actually focused on the entire family, I was shocked. But that's how it should be, advertise for the entire family. I know some on here like to throw out "it's for the kids" but it isn't supposed to be aimed just for them. It's too bad Magic Kingdom has got the reputation that it's "just for kids" which is never what it was intended to be. People seem to despair that their kids can't get on everything. Well, a lot of us had to wait and look forward towards something. It's all about instant gratification now and if that doesn't happen, well, watch out ...

But I guess we're veering off topic.

And it's a shame they never considered the Sindbad (Sinbad?) ride, either version, as it's something I'm very much looking forward to. I hope it's still there in a few years.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Having been on every Disney ride on the planet... sindbad is far and away my family's vote for the best on the planet. The fact that ride doesn't have a constant 30 minute line is a TRAVESTY. It's Disney storytelling st it's absolute finest... accompanied by what we feel is the best musical track ever created for a ride anywhere.
Looked it up on YouTube. Wow. Bucket list.

Buried20KLeague

I've watched the original version of Sinbad but I won't bring myself to watch the Chandu version as I want to experience myself. I have seen some pictures but it's not the same. I've also avoided Mystic Manor at all costs. It hasn't been easy. LOL

You're smart.

We just got back from shanghai and my wife avoided all videos of pirates.

She got off the ride in tears. Literally tears.

I envied her.

Kman101

You're smart.

We just got back from shanghai and my wife avoided all videos of pirates.

She got off the ride in tears. Literally tears.

I envied her.

I wish I had but I did break down and watch that and Roaring Rapids .... but I think Shanghai Pirates will be just that impressive it won't matter that I watched a video, won't do it justice IMO. I can't wait for that one either. But I didn't hold out on that one LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom