POP: Should I spend the extra cash to stay at a moderate?

mjillard

I am 34 and I am taking my 67-year-old mother to Disney in May. It will be the first time either of us have stayed on property. We were going to stay in windsor hills again, but WDW is offering some great deals to entice us to stay in the resort. I am planning for us to stay at Pop Century and get the dining plan, but if we stay at a moderate we can get the $500 gift card instead of 300. We could theoretically eat for a week with 500 bucks and it might be worth the extra money to get away from hordes of misbehaving children. What do you guys think? And also, which moderate resorts are the least likely to have hordes of ill-behaved children? I need to book soon to make sure I can take advantage of these sick rates so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

Jimini

Depends...

Do you get the 500 with Disney Dining or without? If its with the dining then you would have the 500 to spend on whatever else you would want. If its without then you would save the $ that the dining plan costs and have 500 for dining. Port Orleans Riverside is my family's favorite moderate. Not many little ones when we were there in Sept 09. We were just at Coronado Springs in December and there weren't too many little kids there either but unless your grandma likes to take long walks Coronado might not be the best fit. I don't care for Caribbean Beach simply because of the theme, lots of pinks eh... If picking a moderate i would stay at either POR or POFQ, since you can take the water taxi to DTD. POR has a very nice set up for their "food court" in comparison the food court at POFQ stinks. Same food more than likely with some variation but the setting, building etc... there is no comparison. POR all the way. The all star resorts all have boat loads of little kids, it is Disney and kids are expensive so it makes sense for newer families to take advantage of the less expensive resorts. Have fun no matter where you go !:wave:

Upvote 0

kirinan

My husband and I don't have kids, and we stay at Port Orleans French Quarter every time we go because we find that it's the most adults-without-kids-friendly of the moderate resorts (and we actually like the food court there quite a bit; we've always felt it's comparable to Riverside). It's nice to have a peaceful place to come back to after being in the parks all day. No restaurant onsite, though, other than the food court, so keep that in mind if that's a preference for you. We always have a car with us, so it's easy for us to go to other resorts for meals if we want. We've never taken the bus or water taxi, so I can't speak to how convenient that is. But we love POFQ, and rarely stay anywhere else.

We've stayed at Coronado Springs in the past, and while it's also relatively quiet and a very nice resort, I agree with Jimini that it's a LOT of walking if you stay there.

As far as the value resorts, last year my sister, her husband, their two kids (both teenagers), and my 80-year-old dad stayed at All-Star Music. My dad said it was like being in child he!! for the week they were there (he didn't pick the resort, my sister did), and he was never so glad to leave a place in his life. Even my sister admitted she would have liked a place that was a little less hectic.

On the other hand, my brother and his family (his wife and two daughters, late teens and early 20s) stay at Pop Century all the time. All four of them adore the place and wouldn't stay anywhere else, but when I wondered once about trying it instead of POFQ, my brother advised me against it, since he knows my husband and I like our resort more on the quiet side.

So there are some pros and cons for you--hope this helps you make your decision!

Upvote 0

Tiki4

I think it would be worth the upgrade!! Disney just opened up another promotion with Room Only Discounts (25% Values, 35% Moderates, 45% Deluxes) so you could probably upgrade to a Moderate for just a bit more that what you are staying at the Values. It doesn't include the gift card, however, so you would have to see which offer is better for you. I would suggest POR as other posters have mentioned but my favorite Moderate is CSR..........I just think it is nicer!!!! Happy Planning!!!:)

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I agree abotu the quiet thing as well. I have stayed at all three levels ( Four if you count DVC as it's own level and not lumped in with the Deluxe resorts) and I really do like the Moderates. I think it is my favorite level. I think it is a great combination of amenities, theming and price, regardless of which one you select. If size is a concern and you want a more intimate resort, definitely PO French Quarter is the way to go. My Mom espcially likes that one, specifically as it is a smaller size resort and easier to walk around after a long day at the parks. My own favorites are Coronado Springs and Port Orleans Riverside, although I still miss Boatwright's for a sit down breakfast!!! Best of luck with your choice and I know regardless of where you stay you will have an amazing time, it is Disney after all!! Belle

Upvote 0

Mystic

My friend and I stayed at Pop in October 2006 and it wasn't a 'child he!!" at all. We had a preferred room in the 70s building and you honestly wouldn't know that there were kids even at the resort. Our room looked out on to a parking lot and we were well away from the pools so no noise there. The closest 'water' to our room was the kiddie splash pad on the other side of the building. We were really super close to Classic Hall and the bus bays. You can definitely stay at a Value and not be over run by kids.

As for a moderate, we opted to stay at POFQ. Nice quiet hotel that isn't overly spread out so it's easy to get to Sassagoula and the main building from any room building in less than 10 minutes.

Upvote 0

mickeypal1

I agree with some of the other posters. If you can go with the moderate do! I am a teacher and have kids (10& 12). I don't like all of the children running around at the POP. It drives me crazy. This is coming from someone who is around children all day everyday.

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

I would upgrate. POP is a great resort but its give or take. We have stayed there 3 times and a 4th is coming up. If your in the 70s thats probably the best location it's close to the food court and it normally quiets down at night time after around 10. The quietest location we have ever stayed at was the 50s looking at the lake. very quiet only about a 10 minute walk to food court and busses. we were supposed to stay moderate this year but we want to eat at more TS resturants so we saved the money and went back to pop.

If you do go Moderate though, I suggest Corondo Springs we loved it there when we went:)

Upvote 0

xtina72

I would go moderate also, I think you will be much happier there. We have always loved Caribbean beach resort but you have to request Martinique, other wise you have to walk for a mile. lol But its so pretty there and the food court has lots of yummies. mmmm

Upvote 0

lovepooh

We Just stayed at the POFQ in December. I love love that resort. Our first night we stayed at the POP lots of walking even the closest building to the food courts. The 2nd night- 10th night we were at the FQ it was small but had everything we needed. Great Food court in my mind. There is a full service resturant at their sister property Riverside. Its a 10 min walk or you can take the water ferry over there if you like. But the pool and spa and even laundry was very close by. We requested building 4 because it was the closest to the bus stop and the main building where the food court and Jackson Square gifts were at. It was very quite. There are kids but you wouldnt know it. I think you and your mom would enjoy it. This is how much I enjoyed the resort- I use to just stay at one and try another every time we went. Now I don't think we will stay anywhere else unless one day we could afford the poly.

Whatever you decide you will have a good time after all its disney!:wave:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

I've stayed at Pop about 10 times now, it is not bad at all. The kids have never really bothered me, but I travel alone and tend to spend the majority of my time in the parks.

However, if you can upgrade and not kill your budget, do it. It is always nicer to stay at a higher level resort. :wave:

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

I find it a bit rude you mention children in a bad light twice in your post. If you want to ask about kids, do so but kids aren't ill-behaved or misbehaving, they're overly tired from parents running them from sun-up to far too late at night and not taking into consideration their kids are TIRED. If you want to avoid kids, don't go to Disney as they will surely be everywhere you will look. At the rides, in the food courts, on the busses, at the resorts-no matter where you choose, etc. I suggest you prepare yourself to become like child if you truly want to experience Disney. And by the way, not many kids are at POFQ because it's boring. Happy planning.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

As many other posters have stated, I would definitely upgrade to a moderate if I were you and as CrazyEm suggested above, request a ground floor room for medical reasons.

Upvote 0

enoe01

Upgrade

You will be much happier if you upgrade to a Moderate resort. For the best food court I would stay at Carribean Beach, Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside are good all around resorts. My Favorite resort is Coronado Springs, Coronado also has Queen size beds which is alot nicer than the full size beds they offer at the rest of the Moderate resorts.
REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN, YOUR AT THE HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH!:p

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom