POP: Should I spend the extra cash to stay at a moderate?

mjillard

I am 34 and I am taking my 67-year-old mother to Disney in May. It will be the first time either of us have stayed on property. We were going to stay in windsor hills again, but WDW is offering some great deals to entice us to stay in the resort. I am planning for us to stay at Pop Century and get the dining plan, but if we stay at a moderate we can get the $500 gift card instead of 300. We could theoretically eat for a week with 500 bucks and it might be worth the extra money to get away from hordes of misbehaving children. What do you guys think? And also, which moderate resorts are the least likely to have hordes of ill-behaved children? I need to book soon to make sure I can take advantage of these sick rates so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!!!

MissingDisney

POFQ may be boring to you and your kids, but I saw a lot of kids there when I was staying at POFQ in June and THEY didn't seem to find it boring.

Don't tell MJILLARD that, it'll get knocked off the list of resort possibilities!!! They were probably waiting at the bus stops going off to the parks!

Upvote 0

Mystic

Don't tell MJILLARD that, it'll get knocked off the list of resort possibilities!!! They were probably waiting at the bus stops going off to the parks!

I wasn't trying to imply that POFQ is over run with kids, unless it's POP Warner time. I was merely pointing out that there are kids at POFQ just like any other resort and they seemed to be enjoying themselves, especially in the pool. We actually loved staying at POFQ because the kids there were NOT running rampant through the resort grounds.

Upvote 0

kirinan

I find it a bit rude you mention children in a bad light twice in your post. If you want to ask about kids, do so but kids aren't ill-behaved or misbehaving, they're overly tired from parents running them from sun-up to far too late at night and not taking into consideration their kids are TIRED. If you want to avoid kids, don't go to Disney as they will surely be everywhere you will look. At the rides, in the food courts, on the busses, at the resorts-no matter where you choose, etc. I suggest you prepare yourself to become like child if you truly want to experience Disney. And by the way, not many kids are at POFQ because it's boring. Happy planning.

I don't think the OP--or any of us who mentioned that we look for less kid-friendly options at WDW--were saying it to be rude. We were simply discussing it from the point of view of those without kids; at least, that's what I was doing.

My husband and I love WDW, and of course we know that it's a child-centric place--and we're fine with that. We turn into kids ourselves as soon as we hit the entrance to the property, and we would NEVER begrudge little ones the fun and delight of the Disney experience. Kids are the heart of what Disney's about.

We may not have children, but we have nieces and nephews and grand-nieces, and I'm the oldest of six kids myself, so I know kids get tired, and hungry, and testy, and I don't blame them a bit. However, not everyone likes to be around children 24 hours a day, which is why I relayed our experiences and the experiences of family members. On my dad and sister's trip, even my sister--who, by the way, works in a pediatrician's office and loves kids--said the amount of noise and children running wild was too much for her, and took some of the enjoyment out of her trip. It may very well be the parents' fault, and the resort may not be like that every time, but since the OP's mom is in her late 60s, it might be a factor in her enjoyment of the trip. And she has the right to find out what the resorts are like without being scolded for asking about the kid situation. There are simply some places that are family-friendly, and some places more suited for adults on their own.

My husband and I will continue to go to WDW for years to come, and I'm sure we'll continue to enjoy it, but we'll never rate it based on the same factors as people who have kids. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Upvote 0

justdru

I find it a bit rude you mention children in a bad light twice in your post. If you want to ask about kids, do so but kids aren't ill-behaved or misbehaving, they're overly tired from parents running them from sun-up to far too late at night and not taking into consideration their kids are TIRED. If you want to avoid kids, don't go to Disney as they will surely be everywhere you will look. At the rides, in the food courts, on the busses, at the resorts-no matter where you choose, etc. I suggest you prepare yourself to become like child if you truly want to experience Disney. And by the way, not many kids are at POFQ because it's boring. Happy planning.

Touchy, aren't we? I think it's a very valid question and one that I posed myself. My girlfriend and I keep two screaming children, sometimes four, on a pretty consistent basis for her sister. We'll do whatever we can to make sure we have some quiet time at our resort to be together. We love children - we just need a break sometimes, too!

Upvote 0

markc

I find it a bit disconcerting that you're attacking the poster for a legitimate concern. Certain resorts do cater more to a younger child crowd, and those crowds typically will contain more "problem" children AND parents (those who dont know how to properly discipline or control their child). The poster is simply looking for a more balanced mixed of children versus adults. I think any WDW veteran can clearly, and unbiasedly, proclaim that the value resorts obviously attract more guests with children (and thus, are quite more chaotic), especially with school group functions typically choosing to stay there.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

For me supposedly being touchy, a bunch of you keep posting. To the person with the RESORT question, again, see PortOrleans.org to answer your questions. The rest of you may have a look for your enjoyment as well.

And really, I have witnessed more rude adults cutting in line, yelling at castmembers, etc than bratty kids. And don't assume I'm a paren't y'all!

Upvote 0

gtfricks

I would go with the upgrade. We love POR, and are going there in a few weeks. We have stayed with our 2 small kids at Pop, Music, Movies, and Sports. We've never had any issue with kids at any resort or park, except we have had several occasions where there have been kids running up and down the halls well past midnight at those resorts. Not only does this keep us up, but also our own kids who are trying to sleep.

My wife rented a scooter while staying at POR. These rooms have a little more room towards the door than the values, which helps getting the scooter into the room. However, POR - Alligator Bayou has decks around the buildings. This was her first time using one, and while it was a smaller scooter, it was a little tight for a new driver.

Upvote 0

crlachepinochet

Since it's your first time staying on property and the extra $200 on your gift card will eat most of the marginal cost, I say treat yourselves to a moderate. I've stayed at CBR, POR, and POFQ and would recommend them all. Really the only thing I don't like about the mods is the bussing situation. I don't like the multiple stop setup. I'd much rather see 100 people in line for my bus at the central bus stop at Pop than have a bus pull up at a mod that can only take on a few more people. That's a nitpick, though.

Have fun!

Upvote 0
We stayed at both All Star Music and POFQ on our recent trip. The difference between the two, noise level wise, was huge. POFQ is now by far our favorite and when possible we will def. choose to upgrade there from now on.

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Loved he dining plan...so convienient and a lot of food, too.

Kids will be ill behaved at every resort, not just values. Pop was an awesome resort and the best of the values in my opinion. I have stayed at coronado, POR and also CB. Loved them all. POR would be the lesser of walking, if that is your concern with your mother. FQ is even less walking and a beautiful place.

If you plan on spending a lot of time at the resorts, check out each amenity to see which resort would be right for you and your mom.

Wherever you stay, on property can't be beat and you will have a great time!

Upvote 0

bigkidz895

yikes. my wife and I are planning to stay at POP for a conference that I'll be attending. we're choosing POP, because we don't want to put the trip on a credit card. admittedly, we would normally save up for a trip and stay at a moderate, but the conference came up somewhat unexpectedly. from what i can tell, if we go with the expectation of a budget hotel, then all will be fine. sounds rather hit of miss, as one poster put it. wish us luck!:veryconfu

Upvote 0
Yes definitely!

We have never stayed at any of the Value Resorts. I'm currently planning another trip and will not be making reservations at any of the Values and here's why: My SIL stays at the Values and she says that they wait on the transportation for quite some time (she says sometimes they get the 3rd bus because so many people are waiting), and I really like having a coffee maker and fridge in the room. All of the Moderates have them. If either of you are diabetic and need insulin, that might be a factor. If not, you have to pay a fee for them at the Values. Also, I wouldn't let the "No dining" thing steer you from POFQ, there are so many great restaurants at WDW you won't really miss it there any way. As for the kids, my hubby and I stayed at POR and there weren't many kids around but we kind of missed them. :D:D:D

Upvote 0

me_stitch

Premium Member
definitely stay at a moderate. my wife and kids and I loved CBR. And as for the busses, we never waited more than 10 or 15 minutes for a bus, most of the time there was only a handful of people waiting for a bus and depending on where you were going that day sometimes we were the only people to get on. Also, I saw an ad on t.v. the other day that said if you booked a 5 night stay you could get a $750 gift card. Has anyone else seen or heard of this? I didn't do the dining plan but we plan on it next year when we stay at POR, just to compare how much money we spend. If you get a gift card I definitely wouldn't bother with it.

Upvote 0

tink65

yikes. my wife and I are planning to stay at POP for a conference that I'll be attending. we're choosing POP, because we don't want to put the trip on a credit card. admittedly, we would normally save up for a trip and stay at a moderate, but the conference came up somewhat unexpectedly. from what i can tell, if we go with the expectation of a budget hotel, then all will be fine. sounds rather hit of miss, as one poster put it. wish us luck!:veryconfu

Don't worry about POP! We've stayed there every September since it opened and haven't found anything to really complain about yet!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom