PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

captainmoch

I have a few guesses:
1) They're closing down to be staging area for construction.
2) They're closing down to redecorate/renovate into more of a defined Muppets area.
3) They're updating pathways/infrastructure so that corner could have a path leading to SWL and a path leading to the Phase 3 land in SOA.
4) Any combination of these.

draybook

I have a hard time fully believing the argument that Muppet Vision or certain shows/attractions that still pull big crowds at DHS only do so because there's barely anything to do at the park. American Idol Experience which had a huge marquee, prominent place in the park could barely pull crowds to fill half a theatre during peak times. LMA has to beg people to come to their shows, I'm sure they pull good crowds but I doubt they're amazing. Just saying the last few times I've been to the studios Muppet Vision has had really strong crowds.

Yeah, but you can't really compare rides and/or attractions to what is basically a glorified karaoke experience.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I have a few guesses:
1) They're closing down to be staging area for construction.
2) They're closing down to redecorate/renovate into more of a defined Muppets area.
3) They're updating pathways/infrastructure so that corner could have a path leading to SWL and a path leading to the Phase 3 land in SOA.
4) Any combination of these.

If it was 1 or 3 I doubt it would be re-opening in November as planned. 2 seems to be most likely.

yensidtlaw1969

Potentially a greater Muppet presence.
I should clarify, though you probably know what I meant - I was wondering if they were looking back at the original "Muppet Land" plans and saying "lets do that, but scrap the ride idea". Plans which include, well, Muppetvision, the Restaurant, and . . . ? I'm not certain of the full extent.

All of this is to say, I hope what you're suggesting is that they are considering building a new Muppet attraction in addition to the extant Muppetvision and the potentially forthcoming restaurant . . . ?

captainmoch

Is maybe a flat ride happening? Similar to how the Springfield expansion at Uni brought a few restaurants and a flat ride with the previously existing main attraction.

TabulaRasa

The thing with the Muppets is that they are a popular franchise (with a dedicated fanbase) that has been unfortunately mishandled since Jim Henson's untimely death. There have been successful projects and duds since. The problem seems to be not with the franchise, but with the quality of how the franchise has been handled. When the quality is there to support them, they do very well as was seen with the critical and box office success of The Muppets (2011). If the Muppets were a dead franchise, then by that logic, no one would have tuned in for the first episode of the new tv show, which was not the case. The problem with the new show is that the format isn't resonating with a wide variety of audiences, and they pushed the term 'adult' too much in promoting it. The numbers are still there, even now, that would indicate that it will be picked up for a second season.

A new, enhanced Muppet area of the park would be a welcomed edition even if the current show doesn't last. Considering all the trials and tribulations this franchise has endured over the years, it still has a dedicated fanbase, and evokes nostalgia amongst the general public. Disney just needs to focus on the quality and stop relying solely on nostalgia.

I was excited for what sounds like revamped Muppet restaurants, but I hope what I'm interpreting from @marni1971 's post is true! I would be over the moon with another Muppet attraction in the park!

FoozieBear

Exactly. I think ABC and Disney realize that everyone tuned in for something very different on TV, and the reaction to episode one just proves how much people care about it.

The show has really become something special the past few episodes with promise of so much more quality during the second half of the season. It's been a lot more true to the Muppets and ABC's really pushing for that old quality. I hope people remember to tune in. Regardless, the Muppets are still a pretty large franchise with a dedicated fanbase.

captainmoch

Yeah, pretty much. Even if some of the recent endeavors (Most Wanted, the new show) haven't been super popular... they're the Muppets. They're iconic characters. A good comparison would be the Simpsons. They haven't exactly been popular in many years, with a few exceptions, like the Simpsons Movie (or the 2011 Muppets movie), but they're still iconic and people know, love, and look back fondly on them. A small Muppets area in such a big park focusing on iconic movies and worlds would be a great touch.

FoozieBear

Regarding the retheming, possibly both. Depends when things were agreed and budgeted.

I see. Regardless, I think the retheming would still make sense and work well. I hope plans were in place for quite some time now.

Here's something else that no one mentioned. Both Phineas and Ferb and the Cars meet and greets are closing on Monday. Could that possibly also be for Muppet theming?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom