PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A little off topic but what was in pizza planet before it became pizza planet? Was it just a random arcade? I was just curious because the top of the building says metropolitan something so I was wondering.
It was the original Studio Showcase exhibit space until it became a generic video arcade in 1993. The arcade remained there until late spring 1996 when Pizza Planet opened.

Also interestingly, when it opened the upscale pizzeria was just the Studios Pizzaria. No Mama.

zooey

As it happens, you're right. The show's a flop. ABC/Disney is pushing it hard, but to no avail. It even ran a marathon of episodes over the holidays (Muppets at Christmas!) but it tanked big time. A retooling is in the cards, but it's unlikely the viewers that left will ever return. Not only was the show (apparently) bad, but its more "adult" approach alienated a lot of families (and not just the Million Moms or whatever that bunch call themselves). If the retooling doesn't work, that show is done.
I've really enjoyed it. Might be a case of just digging it because it's Muppets without an alternative, but I think it's fun. I'd be sad to see it go.

Magenta Panther

It was the original Studio Showcase exhibit space until it became a generic video arcade in 1993. The arcade remained there until late spring 1996 when Pizza Planet opened.

Also interestingly, when it opened the upscale pizzeria was just the Studios Pizzaria. No Mama.

Wasn't it also going to be called "Annette's"? A tribute to Annette Funicello?

Magenta Panther

Also in regards to the show, it's slipping ratings is definitely a cause for concern, and it obviously demonstrates that something is off with the premise. That being said, I do enjoy it, and think the humour is on point. The last few episodes (especially the Gonzo centric episode) were really excellent...I'd like to see future episodes take on a similar tone.

I think ultimately, we will see a Season 2 regardless. It's in-house (ABC owned), is still the highest rated new comedy, the most sold new show to international markets, and has the largest social media following of freshmen series.

Yeah, that's all changed. A lot. And the show isn't doing so well overseas either.

note2001

Rumor alert: The contractors who will be working on the refurbishment look very familiar:
latest

Managed by only the best imagineers:
GDGDD-Muppets1-092909-AVP.jpg

YodaMan

Not that it matters too much, but looks like the refurb was pushed back a week so it starts on the 19th now. I assume they probably wanted the extra restaurant capacity until after MLK/holiday weekend.

Magenta Panther

It's going to be a new Muppet themed restaurant. Trust me. It's happening. Signed, sealed, delivered.

Yeah? Is it going to serve alcohol - you know, be more "adult", like the new show? :hilarious:

Not that I'm disputing what you're saying - no decision by TDO surprises me anymore. Forget a Poppins attraction, scratch a Lion King ride, let the broken Yeti gather dust - let's build more stuff tied into a franchise that's been heavily invested in but hasn't returned a dime. Par for the course. No doubt TDO will leave that Muppet gift shop open too - even thought it sells mostly Mickey stuff...because that stuff actually sells.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yeah? Is it going to serve alcohol - you know, be more "adult", like the new show? :hilarious:

Not that I'm disputing what you're saying - no decision by TDO surprises me anymore. Forget a Poppins attraction, scratch a Lion King ride, let the broken Yeti gather dust - let's build more stuff tied into a franchise that's been heavily invested in but hasn't returned a dime. Par for the course. No doubt TDO will leave that Muppet gift shop open too - even thought it sells mostly Mickey stuff...because that stuff actually sells.

If they are keeping the muppets attraction, this move would make sense.

PizzaPlanet

Keeping the Muppets attraction makes no sense at all, though. It was removed at Disneyland, replaced with Frozen, and now that theater is actually full most days.
Frozen is moving to the Aladdin theater next year, so the Muppets will most likely return. Even with frozen, the muppet theater is still at half capacity on most shows. I wouldn't consider that full.

Magenta Panther

At least short term it does. The last thing they need is a shuttered attraction while they work on TSL and SWL.

Now this makes sense. DHS is going to be a mess for quite some time from the looks of things. If it weren't for Tower of Terror and Fantasmic, I'd skip it altogether on my next visit.

captainmoch

Is there a chance that this could lead to a Muppet Studios miniland before TSL? I feel like they could do:
- New, updated MuppetVision film. Maybe slightly shorter with new story, and some old and new effects.
- Repurpose Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose into Muppets themed restaurants.
- Stage 1 Company Store building is demolished and a Muppet Labs/Great Gonzo themed flat ride goes in its place.
- The Christmas shop in between Mama Melrose and Pizza Planet becomes the new Muppet gift shop.
It wouldn't be too hard of a land to do, mostly reusing spaces, redecorating, and adding a flat ride, and could basically fill a similar niche to Springfield at Uni.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom