News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

Jenny72

Regardless of whether you consider this to be a symptom of "PC culture," surely most people can see that Disney had to change this scene in 2018, if nothing else then for business reasons. Why tick off a large portion of your audience? (Save that for parking fees!) It's just not good business.

Personally I'm glad I won't have to explain the bride auction to my daughter, since I don't take her to Disney for a lesson on women's subjugation in history, especially when it's portrayed for laughs. That having been said, the new scene is sort of....weird and uninspired.

smile

let's also remember the original potc's had the pirates receiving their destined fate after having looted the town and 'auctioning' the women -
after jack, not so much (yeah, that's right... for a synergistic plug)

and let's be honest, the auction scene was a softer version of the real thing - pirates didn't auction brides, they took them...
if the moral high-ground actually mattered at all, why continue to whitewash and glorify?

Castle Cake Apologist

I've seen many things on this board over the years that have made me shake my head, but never so much as seeing rape culture being completely dismissed as nonexistent, and then using mail-order brides as an example of why it doesn't exist. Holy. Cow.

The women being auctioned did not volunteer for it like a mail-order bride. They are literally tied up at gunpoint and being sold as property. Presumably these are women who were going about their daily business before the pirates pulled into port. Maybe this is a surprise to some, but those pirates who are bidding are certainly planning to have marital relations with the human that they just purchased. I assure you it was not going to be consensual.

I'd again refer you to the original dialogue of the Pooped Pirate, wherein he makes clear his intentions for the terrified young girl hiding in the barrel behind him... If only he wasn't too tired to catch her. Pirates was very much designed by middle aged men in the 1960s, and it shows.

I have my reasons for resisting the change, and even more so now that the final product is so bafflingly terrible, but I certainly can understand why it was done and why the content of the scene is wrong in 2018.

Last edited:

Castle Cake Apologist

For reference, this is the original dialogue of the Pooped Pirate. There's nothing even ambiguous about it. I'd invite you to also remember that he was waving her petticoat around while she hid terrified in the barrel behind him.
Ah, shiver me soul. It's dead wore out I be. A mite too fast these light-footed wenches be for the likes of an old schwegbellied pirate such as I. Now where be that fascinating little old treasure, eh? Heave-to mateys! Say, have you set your eyes on the bewitched maiden in your travels? Oh she be a lively lassie she were. Oh I tell you true. It's alright to hoist me colours on the likes of that she little wench! Favor, keep a weathered eye open, mateys. I be willing to share I be!

Captain Barbossa

riding this version is now more like guidelines rather than rules eh captain?
Screenshot_2018-03-22-21-12-16_kindlephoto-543687717.png

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Regardless of whether you consider this to be a symptom of "PC culture," surely most people can see that Disney had to change this scene in 2018, if nothing else then for business reasons. Why tick off a large portion of your audience? (Save that for parking fees!) It's just not good business.

Personally I'm glad I won't have to explain the bride auction to my daughter, since I don't take her to Disney for a lesson on women's subjugation in history, especially when it's portrayed for laughs. That having been said, the new scene is sort of....weird and uninspired.
Can you in any way prove that a "large portion" of Disney's audience was "ticked off" by this scene? Were there protests? Or just a few annoyed folks on Twitter? Or can you prove that this scene was hurting Disney's bottom line? Because if your summation is correct, Disney should now see an increase in "business" due to everything being hunky dory and pleasing to everyone.

Also, I cry BS on the notion that "something had to happen because its now _______ (calendar year)". Why does a date on a calendar suddenly get to decide the way society works? If this had happened in 2017, or 2016 people would probably be making the same useless argument.

Last edited:

celluloid

Yes, but the argument about rape culture is that kids DO pick up on the objectification of women. They may not get verbal jokes, but they see men treating women as prizes, objects, and something for our protagonists to pursue even if the woman is giving signs they don't wish to be pursued. That's the issue.

And they also saw what happened to those types. They were burned down and cursed with the overindulgence they created. The ride is ironically the most moral babysitting of all attraction stories and themes. A major part of the narrative has always been that the priates "got what was coming to them) as pointed out by many forms of the script and scenes.

Last edited:

Professortango1

And they also saw what happened to those types. They were burned down and cursed with the overindulgence they created. The ride is ironically the most moral babysitting of all attraction stories and themes. A major part of the narrative has always been that the priates "got what was coming to them) as pointed out by many forms of the script and scenes.

Got what's coming to them? You leave them happily exchanging gunfire. There's no morality tale other than what people put onto it themselves. From a storytelling perspective we see skeletons. The first few are tragic, but everything after the grotto scene is comedic and supernatural. I'm not seeing "this is what happened to the pirates," I'm seeing funny haunted pirate treasure. Then we see real funny pirates. I never got the sense that these were the same pirates and we'd traveled backwards in time.

Bairstow

Got what's coming to them? You leave them happily exchanging gunfire. There's no morality tale other than what people put onto it themselves. From a storytelling perspective we see skeletons. The first few are tragic, but everything after the grotto scene is comedic and supernatural. I'm not seeing "this is what happened to the pirates," I'm seeing funny haunted pirate treasure. Then we see real funny pirates. I never got the sense that these were the same pirates and we'd traveled backwards in time.

Yeah, the time-traveling implication arguably present in the Disneyland version has never applied to the Florida version, where you hear cannonfire still erupting outdoors as you enter the fortress show building. The first thing you see when you sit down in your boat is a pirate ship off in the horizon. Not to mention that there's all kinds of pirate-y stuff going on outside in Adventureland- in the past the pirate Barker bird and now the Jack Sparrow Show and Magic Band scavenger quest. Guests are to understand that everything in the ride is contemporary to the world outside the ride.

Professortango1

Yeah, the time-traveling implication arguably present in the Disneyland version has never applied to the Florida version, where you hear cannonfire still erupting outdoors as you enter the fortress show building. The first thing you see when you sit down in your boat is a pirate ship off in the horizon. Not to mention that there's all kinds of pirate-y stuff going on outside in Adventureland- in the past the pirate Barker bird and now the Jack Sparrow Show and Magic Band scavenger quest. Guests are to understand that everything in the ride is contemporary to the world outside the ride.

Even in Disneyland's, I always saw the talking skull and drop as our passage into the mythical world of pirates.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom