News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

Bairstow

Saying Pirates Of The Caribbean glorifies Rape Culture is like saying Big Thunder Mountain glorifies strip mining, eco pillaging and the destruction of the earth. ( as does 7 Dwarfs Mine for that matter)... Haunted Mansion glorifies Murder and Winnie The Pooh advocates burglary as Winnie is stealing the bee's honey...All is grim, serious, and dark in the Magic Kingdom...

It's not that the original ride "glorified rape culture", (whatever that would even mean), it's that the original attraction featured a number of gags that found humor in situations that had clear implications of what we today would call sexual violence and human trafficking, as well as jokes that found humor in the perceived insecurities of overweight or conventionally unattractive women. What would have been considered bawdy but acceptably funny in the eyes of Mark Davis and the other men working on the attraction in the 1960s today comes across as grossly insensitive, especially with our recent national focus on the imbalance of power between men and women.

Disney Analyst

It isn't not a real problem. Instead, it is a fabricated one used to justify stupid PC changes like this one at PotC.

So are you saying Rape Culture doesn’t exist because you don’t enjoy the changes to POTC? Or are you saying Rape Culture didn’t exist in the attraction? Or are you just saying Rape Culture simply doesn’t exist? Because I am most certainly prepared to educate you on Rape Culture and how it’s real and prevelant around the world, including North America.

Professortango1

It isn't not a real problem. Instead, it is a fabricated one used to justify stupid PC changes like this one at PotC.

You're an expert in the field as well?? Wow, so many here in this forum. I've read articles from experts saying it does exist with research to prove it, what's your research consist of?

I also know women who were raped by boyfriends and had their accusations dismissed with comments like "well, he WAS your boyfriend at the time, right?" and "I mean, he did take you to that expensive concert, he deserved a little something." Rape culture is a real problem as people hear "rape" and think only of a stranger taking someone by force in a dark alley. When rape occurs with young people at parties or in relationships, people always say "that's not REAL rape" or defend the attacker. Look at what happened with Brock Turner. He raped a girl, was caught, and then the defense was "but he's a star athlete and a good kid. He's no criminal. He just made a mistake." Sorry, but our society definitely has an issue with good guys deserving a girl.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

For goodness sake, they're auctioning off women as brides, not prostitutes. Last time I checked, I could still legally attain a mail-order bride. Is that promoting "rape culture" too?

If anything, the "joke" was more to be found in the fact that the men didn't want the portly woman in blue and were more interested in the attractive redhead. They were even shot at for being unruly.

What's done is done, and Disney has only served to make this part of the attraction worse. The end.

Bairstow

For goodness sake, they're auctioning off women as brides, not prostitutes. Last time I checked, I could still legally attain a mail-order bride. Is that promoting "rape culture" too?

Sobbing, and bound with rope while armed men force her to go through with it?
Doesn't seem that consentual to me.

4025e1521141957o8869.jpg

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Sobbing, and bound with rope while armed men force her to go through with it?
Doesn't seem that consentual to me.

4025e1521141957o8869.jpg
So then why did they give the blue woman and the redhead smiles of glee...?? See the problem?

The PC'ing of this attraction is a slippery slope. Guess we should change the burning town scene later on too because it promotes arson. Or the drunken man laying with pigs because its promotes alcoholism. BTW, that gun is NOT trained on the women. In fact, the only ones getting shot at are men.

Bairstow

So then why did they give the blue woman and the redhead smiles of glee...?? See the problem?
Because the joke is that the "strange" women are actually delighted at the idea of being abducted by pirates because they'll finally get men. All the "normal"-looking women Davis designed for the Auction and Chase scenes are crying or trying to get away, but the odd ones (the buck-toothed one, the fat one, the lady in the red dress) are delighted at the opportunity. The script even has the auctioneer compare the fat woman to a cow or a boat, but the joke is that she's so excited to be abducted to take offense.

Same deal in the next scene- randy pirates are chasing down three normal-looking women but the fourth, older, ugly-looking one is instead chasing her pirate. The humor in both these scenes is derived from the "joke" that normally insecure or undesirable women would be delighted at the prospect of rape because feeling wanted by men is more important to women than sexual autonomy.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Because the joke is that the "strange" women are actually delighted at the idea of being abducted by pirates because they'll finally get men. All the "normal"-looking women Davis designed for the Auction and Chase scenes are crying or trying to get away, but the odd ones (the buck-toothed one, the fat one, the lady in the red dress) are delighted at the opportunity. The script even has the auctioneer compare the fat woman to a cow or a boat, but the joke is that she's so excited to be abducted to take offense.

Same deal in the next scene- randy pirates are chasing down three normal-looking women but the fourth, older, ugly-looking one is instead chasing her pirate. The humor in both these scenes is derived from the "joke" that normally insecure or undesirable women would be delighted at the prospect of rape because feeling wanted by men is more important to women than sexual autonomy.
So now suddenly the redhead is not the sultry vixen we know her as, but an "odd one" who is excited at the prospect of being abducted (through a monetary auction) by pirates?
tenor.gif

OK.

Bairstow

So now suddenly the redhead is not the sultry vixen we know her as, but an "odd one" who is excited at the prospect of being abducted (through a monetary auction) by pirates?
tenor.gif

OK.
Yep.
The main point of the scene is to highlight how desirous the pirates on the stairs are of her and how revolted they are of the fat one "on the block".

Don't know what you "know her as", btw, since she didn't originally have any lines.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Yep.
The main point of the scene is to highlight how desirous the pirates on the stairs are of her and how revolted they are of the fat one "on the block".

Don't know what you "know her as", btw, since she didn't originally have any lines.
If anything, the "joke" was more to be found in the fact that the men didn't want the portly woman in blue and were more interested in the attractive redhead. They were even shot at for being unruly.
I literally said that already...

And she didn't need lines. She was designed clearly enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom