News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

CoasterSnoop

It's not life changing is it.. the ride isn't changing at all, just be thankful for that.

An entire scene was changed. So technically, yes, the ride did change.
Nobody (okay, one or two bad apples) is complaining about change in of itself, most people are unsatisfied with the quality of said change. It’s just not a good one. I should hope people are discussing their opinions on the scene. This is a Disney theme park discussion forum.

Jack Wolfe

Frickin' chickens. I can't believe it.

"We wants the Rhode Island Red!" (actual chicken breed).

I understand the impetus behind the change, but this is stupid beyond belief. Auctioning freaking chickens. Every scallywag wants a layin' hen, which is the worst sexual innuendo I've ever heard. WHO CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA???

Here's what should have been done (I'm building on others' suggestions here):

Auctioneer: What's yer bids fer this treasure trove of baubles, me hearties? Who'll buy a trinket for the ladies of Tortuga?

Redhead: Oh stow those bits of glitter an' glass! It's the rum they wants, right, boys?

Pirates: Yeah! We wants the rum! We wants the rum!

One pirate: We wants the redhead!

Redhead: BELAY THAT! (fires gun in air)

One pirate: I'm sorry mum! 'Twas just a joke!

(The rest of the pirates laugh)

Jeez, Imagineers, who writes for you now? The hacks who write the non-jokes for The Big Bang Theory? Yeesh!!!!
Thank you for this. The new script is absolute rubbish. Whoever green-lit such abominable dialogue should be keelhauled. And what's with the Granny Clampett voice?

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I'd prefer replacing the scene entirely, or alternatively keeping a lot of the same lines. I understand getting rid of the lines making fun of the overweight animatronic, because overweight animatronics have feelings too. However, I could see the "We wants the redhead" line still being relevant if dialogue between the auctioneer and the new redhead indicated one was trying to speak over the other.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
This is how the Auction scene in the ride always came across to me, the whole idea of auctioning off brides is so ridiculous that these pirates would have to be a bunch of idiots to try it. I think the films captured that "screwball comedy" aspect of the ride really well, and it's a shame this short wasn't part of one of the actual movies, I think this might of brought the general public "up to speed" on the scene from the ride, or gave it some context and established the tone of the original ride.

I think they got the personality of the Red Head exactly right in this short too, she's really kind of a vain and unscrupulous character, but wants to come across as glamorous. The new "Pirate Red Head" in the ride is more like a tom boy, she now wears a man's boots and hat, which seems to be the opposite of what she was originally... it's kinda odd that Jack Sparrow now has more eye make up than she does... When they announced that she would be turned into a pirate, I didn't think it would be this big a difference, she really wasn't all that wholesome a character to begin with. I came across this cosplay girl who did her own "Pirate Red Head" it's still feminine and glamorous, but a more aggressive version of the original costume, to me this make more sense than what now in the ride.
View attachment 272037

The Paris redhead retained her femininity. I’m curious why the look is drastically different in WDW.

Paris:
B3B62504-0770-40C1-8A5A-62050A9DFE28.jpeg

celluloid

Got what's coming to them? You leave them happily exchanging gunfire. There's no morality tale other than what people put onto it themselves. From a storytelling perspective we see skeletons. The first few are tragic, but everything after the grotto scene is comedic and supernatural. I'm not seeing "this is what happened to the pirates," I'm seeing funny haunted pirate treasure. Then we see real funny pirates. I never got the sense that these were the same pirates and we'd traveled backwards in time.

I am sorry you did not see that, but that just proves the point that the story of the ride has changed. If you rode it more post ride changes or bad maintenance it was also weaker as you lose many important dialogue elements throughout the ride. It can be comedic and telling that story at the same time. Morbid or dark humor if you will. The pirates locked at the finale is pretty darn disturbing knowing they are not likely to get that dog before they perish in the fire. Even the more lightly comedic guy with all of the hats is choosing to risk falling into the murky waters over the excess amount of hats. Each major scene has an example of the greed getting the better and better of them, to the point where they are so drunk they do not even realize the town is burning down around them. You see, the story starts at the end. Those ghosts/skeletons you witness in the Grotto, were all the same ones you are about to see, fallen victim from the burning town. The waterfall is a transition to time travel back to the days of pirates. Perhaps not the most beaten over the head in execution but pretty self explanatory before the ride was altered many times, and thus, here we are. It still comes off better in Disneyland because of the incline, but the pirates, including the Redhead who wanted to be sold, got what was coming to them when she succumbed to the same greed. The redhead was always going to become a priate/bad person. She was manipulating the men to want her. The audiences these days just don't care to see that or cannot because of the movie changes/alterations/lack of maintenance over time.

The redhead Painting that Imagineer Marc Davis painted of the Redhead Version(which I wish they would had featured in WDW's caverns at some point as it would of helped close at least a bit of the execution difference between DL's and WDW's) is titled...."A portrait of things to come" and features what appears to be the same redhead being spoiled and worshiped as a pirate.

The entire idea of this is not something that I just made up. I even interpreted on rides over the years and from the narrative given by Walt Disney himself long before the ride opened during a Wonderful World of Color special guided tour through the scale model of the scenes.

Last edited:

smile

I am sorry you did not see that, but that just proves the point that the story of the ride has changed. If you rode it more post ride changes or bad maintenance it was also weaker as you lose many important dialogue elements throughout the ride. It can be comedic and telling that story at the same time. Morbid or dark humor if you will. The pirates locked at the finale is pretty darn disturbing knowing they are not likely to get that dog before they perish in the fire. Even the more lightly comedic guy with all of the hats is choosing to risk falling into the murky waters over the excess amount of hats. Each major scene has an example of the greed getting the better and better of them, to the point where they are so drunk they do not even realize the town is burning down around them. You see, the story starts at the end. Those ghosts/skeletons you witness in the Grotto, were all the same ones you are about to see, fallen victim from the burning town. The waterfall is a transition to time travel back to the days of pirates. Perhaps not the most beaten over the head in execution but pretty self explanatory before the ride was altered many times, and thus, here we are. It still comes off better in Disneyland because of the incline, but the pirates, including the Redhead who wanted to be sold, got what was coming to them when she succumbed to the same greed. The redhead was always going to become a priate/bad person. She was manipulating the men to want her. The audiences these days just don't care to see that or cannot because of the movie changes/alterations/lack of maintenance over time.

The redhead Painting that Imagineer Marc Davis painted of the Redhead Version(which I wish they would had featured in WDW's caverns at some point as it would of helped close at least a bit of the execution difference between DL's and WDW's) is titled...."A portrait of things to come" and features what appears to be the same redhead being spoiled and worshiped as a pirate.

The entire idea of this is not something that I just made up. I even interpreted on rides over the years and from the narrative given by Walt Disney himself long before the ride opened during a Wonderful World of Color special guided tour through the scale model of the scenes.

bless it, but potc certainly lost plenty charm and nuance when initially 'shoehorned' into the park...
obviously, subsequent meddling has distanced it even further.

_caleb

I’m looking forward to seeing the new scene. I’d rather they keep updating (even if the updates aren’t my favorite) than leave things exactly as they were with no maintenance or upgrades (like with CoP). The mermaid effect and skeleton scenes, for example, weren’t my favorites, but they eventually pulled them out. Consequently, the original stuff around those scenes received some attention.

voodoo321

I'll go ahead and throw a conspiracy theory out there: The most likely and popular consensus is that the Imagineers involved in this project were incompetent. Bad storytelling, dialogue, execution, etc. But the idea occurred to me that maybe they purposely sabotaged their work as a form of silent protest. They were given a directive from upper management but were just as digusted by this change/destruction as the rest of us are. Purposely making it awful would increase the number and intensity of complaints. It is also possible that the lack of passion and general negativity toward the project stifled their creativity, they couldn't overcome it and therefore half-arsed it. Upper management doesn't understand creativity and quality, so their jobs are safe. ;)

Bairstow

I'll go ahead and throw a conspiracy theory out there: The most likely and popular consensus is that the Imagineers involved in this project were incompetent. Bad storytelling, dialogue, execution, etc. But the idea occurred to me that maybe they purposely sabotaged their work as a form of silent protest. They were given a directive from upper management but were just as digusted by this change/destruction as the rest of us are. Purposely making it awful would increase the number and intensity of complaints. It is also possible that the lack of passion and general negativity toward the project stifled their creativity, they couldn't overcome it and therefore half-arsed it. Upper management doesn't understand creativity and quality, so their jobs are safe. ;)

You really think people are potentially jeopardizing their careers over not wanting to remove some Paul Frees dialogue?

voodoo321

You really think people are potentially jeopardizing their careers over not wanting to remove some Paul Frees dialogue?
I didn't say that I think that. Just an idea. Plus if you read my last sentence it explains why, if I thought this to be true, they could get away with it.

Kman101

This new auction scene is most fowl!

But ... but ... you just hate change for the sake of it! SHAME ON YOU!

;)

[Sarcasm font: ON]

So many things about the change annoy me. It's not even about the change for the sake of it now, it's about how poor of a job they did and that they could have done much better. I'm sure for many it will be "fine" but it's a little annoying to always be lumped in with hating change just for hating change. That's not always the case and it's usually a little deeper and if some posters were interested in an actual discussion on what's wrong instead of just calling us haters ... (not geared towards you, of course, lol, just an observation)

Anywho ....

The redhead still has brown hair now to me. Unless it looks red in person but pictures have me seeing brown. They couldn't get the face or the hair right. It's terrible.

Professortango1

The waterfall is the transition of time, that's how I felt too. Both waterfalls come before seeing skeletons and ghosts. There is no additional time transition unless you count the Davy Jones effect added decades later.

The morality tale is just as thin of a evident story as Master Gracey. Sure, you can pinpoint moments where maybe it was inspired by that thought, but the final attraction had evolved into something different by opening.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom