News Pirates of the Caribbean closing for refurbishment in February for new auction scene

Bender123

the men used to chase the women? why cant I have this realistic version of the ride not this watered down version.

Because the pearl clutching is strong in (current year)...It used to be recognized as a low key and humorous view of a pirate raid. We accepted the pirates were bad guys and we accepted the things they did were crude. They are pirates. That's what they do. Now, people seem to think that the pirates are the good guys and we cant have good guys doing bad things.

ts another example of people being too dumb to know what the story is and too immature to handle basic story scenes.

Bocabear

and that is the thing...Kids did NOT pick up on any of those things...it was Pirates being scalliwags... that is what kids see....The attraction works on different levels...Like a Bugs Bunny Cartoon or Pee Wee's Playhouse...lol
Historically Pirates did not auction off chickens and granfather clocks to their own crew... that is just stupid.

Professortango1

and that is the thing...Kids did NOT pick up on any of those things...it was Pirates being scalliwags... that is what kids see....The attraction works on different levels...Like a Bugs Bunny Cartoon or Pee Wee's Playhouse...lol
Historically Pirates did not auction off chickens and granfather clocks to their own crew... that is just stupid.

Yes, but the argument about rape culture is that kids DO pick up on the objectification of women. They may not get verbal jokes, but they see men treating women as prizes, objects, and something for our protagonists to pursue even if the woman is giving signs they don't wish to be pursued. That's the issue.

Bocabear

Yes, but the argument about rape culture is that kids DO pick up on the objectification of women. They may not get verbal jokes, but they see men treating women as prizes, objects, and something for our protagonists to pursue even if the woman is giving signs they don't wish to be pursued. That's the issue.
no....they really don't. and if you want to change every bit of that perception, you have to basically erase all of recorded history...

Castle Cake Apologist

Because the pearl clutching is strong in (current year)...It used to be recognized as a low key and humorous view of a pirate raid. We accepted the pirates were bad guys and we accepted the things they did were crude. They are pirates. That's what they do. Now, people seem to think that the pirates are the good guys and we cant have good guys doing bad things.

ts another example of people being too dumb to know what the story is and too immature to handle basic story scenes.

Much of this is Disney's own doing. Pirates are the good guys in their pirate film and television franchises.

See above. I agree with all of your points here, but the main issue is that Disney wants pirates to be seen as protagonists now, instead of the antagonists that they were for nearly 40 years of the attraction's existence.
Once the Pirates movies became a thing, Disney shifted the narrative to be that Pirates are the heroes and are people that kids should want to emulate. We see that in attractions like Pirates League as well, where kids can literally become pirates.

The attraction, as originally designed, was a morality play. The pirates were bad people who did bad things and wound up with a bad fate. Once Disney decided that they wanted to encourage kids to be pirates, the waters got a little muddy and the tides a little stranger.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Much of this is Disney's own doing. Pirates are the good guys in their pirate film and television franchises.

See above. I agree with all of your points here, but the main issue is that Disney wants pirates to be seen as protagonists now, instead of the antagonists that they were for nearly 40 years of the attraction's existence.
Once the Pirates movies became a thing, Disney shifted the narrative to be that Pirates are the heroes and are people that kids should want to emulate. We see that in attractions like Pirates League as well, where kids can literally become pirates.

The attraction, as originally designed, was a morality play. The pirates were bad people who did bad things and wound up with a bad fate. Once Disney decided that they wanted to encourage kids to be pirates, the waters got a little muddy and the tides a little stranger.

The pirates have always been the protagonists. The original ad invited us to set sail WITH them. Not beware them or look out for them. We are supposed to like them and identify with them, not the townspeople. That has always been the goal.

If anything, the Jack Sparrow additions actually shifted the narrative to make the pirates bad. Now, we are rooting for Jack and the townspeople as Barbossa and his villainous crew are trying to find out where Jack/the treasure is hidden.

Awakening

Studies have shown they really do. And if you want to change that perception, you have media and entertainment show women as people, not things protagonists earn.

I can agree, but as I've said earlier in the thread, if you want to showcase that women are just as capable as men, having the readhead play "mother" and dumbing down the men around them isn't how you do it. People who ride this will still see a bunch of male pirates having fun, and the lone female pirate avoiding the revelry of her peers.

Bairstow

I just don't get why TDO thought it was ok to leave the Wench Bride scene for 20 years after changing the men chasing the women around scene was changed... confused on that one.

I can think of three explanations.

The first is that because the "chasing" tableux, when the positions of the pirates and the women were reversed, served as a kind of answer to the Auction scene, what the with women turning the tables on the pirates. This was undercut by the fact that the chasing characters are not the same ones you see in the auction, and putting food in the pirates' hands just confused things.

Additionally, the pirates chasing the women was a more visceral and obvious depiction of sexual violence than the weird auction sequence, particularly given that all but the last woman in the tableux is actively resisting and fleeing her rapist. At least in the auction, multiple women appear to be pleased with what is being done to them.

The third, and more likely explanation is that swapping the positions of the chasing characters was a quick and cheap fix but redoing the auction actually required effort.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I can agree, but as I've said earlier in the thread, if you want to showcase that women are just as capable as men, having the readhead play "mother" and dumbing down the men around them isn't how you do it. People who ride this will still see a bunch of male pirates having fun, and the lone female pirate avoiding the revelry of her peers.

Huh? Isn't she the one advocating that everyone get turnt? The only one wanting the keep trying to turn a profit on the poultry is the auctioneer.

Last edited:

Incomudro

"Rape Culture" is a ridiculous made up term.
There is no culture of rape - not in this country.

Professortango1

"Rape Culture" is a ridiculous made up term.
There is no culture of rape - not in this country.

Oh, thank goodness you came along to set the record straight. I know doctors of sociology and behavioral scientists have found there to be, but you just cleared the air. What's your expertise in the field, so we can contact the press and have the error corrected?

Bocabear

Saying Pirates Of The Caribbean glorifies Rape Culture is like saying Big Thunder Mountain glorifies strip mining, eco pillaging and the destruction of the earth. ( as does 7 Dwarfs Mine for that matter)... Haunted Mansion glorifies Murder and Winnie The Pooh advocates burglary as Winnie is stealing the bee's honey...All is grim, serious, and dark in the Magic Kingdom...

Professortango1

Saying Pirates Of The Caribbean glorifies Rape Culture is like saying Big Thunder Mountain glorifies strip mining, eco pillaging and the destruction of the earth. ( as does 7 Dwarfs Mine for that matter)... Haunted Mansion glorifies Murder and Winnie The Pooh advocates burglary as Winnie is stealing the bee's honey...All is grim, serious, and dark in the Magic Kingdom...

Rape culture is assisted when we see women being treated as objects and prizes for men to claim against their will. The bride auction was literally that. I don't think kids are affected by strip mining culture, nor is there a murder culture which teaches Americans subconsciously that taking a person's life is okay. Hyperbole's might be fun, but they are not an argument.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom