Pirates 3 Ticket Sales at Pleasure Island Update

diddy_mouse

DH and I will be at our local Regal Cinema to catch it! But I wish I could see it at DTD....that would be very cool (granted, very crowded too..) I know our theater has a whole bunch of showings tomm. night. Glad we got our tickets the day before yesterday!

I think I might have flashbacks to when we did the Star Wars 12:01 shows...that was some good times! :ROFLOL:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
While I'm just as excited as the rest of you, let's be a little more rational about how POTC:AWE will do. I don't think it can top Spiderman 3.

I dont know many who were that impressed with Spiderman 3, however I think POC may do well given how many days are already pre booked at my local cinemas

I'll be there at 10am tomorrow (opening day first showing) thats 5am compared to Orlando time. Just hope its brilliant and shows that Pirate films can still be big today.

ToTBellHop

an interesting read... http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/05...of-negative-critics-this-friday-on-pirates-3/
In the end of the day, this film will make a fortune b/c everyone will want to see it, and they won't care what the stupid critics say. No one expects this movie to win Best Picture at the Oscars, but I bet it will be lots of fun. By the way, the rottentomatoes score continues to rise--the obnoxious critics just wanted to get their word in first. The all-important-for-profits number, user rating, is 80%.

WDWFigment

an interesting read... http://www.firstshowing.net/2007/05...of-negative-critics-this-friday-on-pirates-3/
In the end of the day, this film will make a fortune b/c everyone will want to see it, and they won't care what the stupid critics say. No one expects this movie to win Best Picture at the Oscars, but I bet it will be lots of fun. By the way, the rottentomatoes score continues to rise--the obnoxious critics just wanted to get their word in first. The all-important-for-profits number, user rating, is 80%.

I will agree; that's an interesting read with some valuable insight into how critical expectations for films often shape their reviews. However, I don't think any critic is reasonably expecting an Oscar-worthy movie here. They know Bruckheimer, they know what to expect with summer fare. The fact that the first Pirates and first two Spiderman films did so well on rottentomatoes attests to this. The ratings do keep going up, so I hope you are right that the obnoxious ones wanted to get their word out there first.

However, the user rating? Come on. How many of these people have seen the movie at this point? Sure, they could have gone to the opening event, but how likely is that? Even if the user rating were 20%, I wouldn't use that as a reliable gauge, because it just could be naysayers who haven't seen the film trying to bash it. The opposite holds true here too, and anytime before a film's official release.

While fans will go regardless of what critics say, they will not keep coming back to the film if they find the dialogue indiscernible and the story too convoluted. The film has its die hard fans who will see it multiple times regardless and even casual movie-goers will see it, but I think without at least modest critical reviews, it won't shatter all box office records.

ToTBellHop

spidey 3 had poor reviews, too. Let's face it, the first two Pirates films were very successful, most families have a long weekend, and parents will be all too happy to give their kids a 3-hour movie to watch this weekend. I would not be at all surprised if it makes over $150m this weekend.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
DMC got some pretty harsh reviews.

I'm still don't think this will get the OW record from Spidey, mainly because the Thursday showings are not being included in the Friday numbers (that, and Shrek is only in its second weekend). If that wasn't happening, then yeah, the OW record would indeed be gone.

Nicole220

Saw that article as well. I think it's dumb that they will give it negative reviews just because they know it's going to be big and they don't want it to win Best Picture. I never listen to the critics, they're way too picky!

WDWFigment

DMC got some pretty harsh reviews.

I'm still don't think this will get the OW record from Spidey, mainly because the Thursday showings are not being included in the Friday numbers (that, and Shrek is only in its second weekend). If that wasn't happening, then yeah, the OW record would indeed be gone.

The exact points I hit on in my first post (although they got muffled by the critical reaction). Simply put: AWE will have a tough time overcoming the number of screens Spiderman opened on (4,252 to AWE's 4,000), competition from other movies out at time of initial release (nothing when Spiderman 3 came out, to Shrek 3 and Spiderman 3 when AWE will come out) and number of shows per day allowed by running time (2h20m to AWE's 2h48m).

I just don't think it can take the OW crown from Spiderman 3, it'll still probably be the #2 OW film of all time, and that's nothing to be ashamed of; all I'm saying is it just will be tough to be #1.

DisneyCane

How many of these people have seen the movie at this point?

There have been several screenings around the country for people in the industry going back 2 or more weeks ago. Also, most theaters got their prints on Tuesday and MANY have done check screenings with projectionists and staff. Tens of thousands of people have likely already seen the film. Whether the people posting reviews really saw it I have no idea but it is possible.

Somebody I know that saw it said it was good and that it was better than DMC.

ToTBellHop

I would imagine most of the people posting REVIEWS have seen the film already...however, if you go to IMDB and see over 1500 votes already, that's usually just a balance of the fanboys who will rate it a 10 without seeing it and the haters who rate it a 1 out of spite. Odds are it is neither a 1 nor a 10.

Eyorefan

I think one thing that will hurt the Pirates this weekend is from what I have heard, it's not kid friendly. I know I have heard warnings from many reviewers that this one truely earns it's PG-13 rating. That means that during a weekend when many are looking to do something with the family, some will decided to wait on this one and go see something else.

Buried20KLeague

I think one thing that will hurt the Pirates this weekend is from what I have heard, it's not kid friendly. I know I have heard warnings from many reviewers that this one truely earns it's PG-13 rating. That means that during a weekend when many are looking to do something with the family, some will decided to wait on this one and go see something else.

EXACTLY what I was said in the post at the beginning of this thread.

But the thing is, no one will be expecting it to be as strong a PG-13 as this one is. So I don't think parents will steer away from it. Instead, they'll take their kids assuming it'll be like the first two, but then halfway through they'll be trying to decide if they should leave. Although by that point, Disney has their money.

As I said before, having seen the movie, I'm still not sure I'm going to take my two girls... Something I didn't have to question at all with the first two.

ToTBellHop

Parents don't care. I saw Spidey 3 opening night and the room was full of 4-year olds (and they ruined the movie for me by screaming and whining--I kid you not, one kid could not even walk yet and his parents brought him...I was not happy at all). You can't tell me that parents went in there really expecting Spidey to be kid friendly--the first two films are violent with tons of murder, and parents do it anyway. The second you tack DISNEY on the front of a movie, the strollers will be lined up. You could not pay me to go to a 7 pm showing tomorrow or ANY afternoon showing this weekend. It's the 9 pm showing for me. The last thing I want is toddlers screaming throughout my $10 movie...

MattyFresh

Parents don't care. I saw Spidey 3 opening night and the room was full of 4-year olds (and they ruined the movie for me by screaming and whining--I kid you not, one kid could not even walk yet and his parents brought him...I was not happy at all). You can't tell me that parents went in there really expecting Spidey to be kid friendly--the first two films are violent with tons of murder, and parents do it anyway. The second you tack DISNEY on the front of a movie, the strollers will be lined up. You could not pay me to go to a 7 pm showing tomorrow or ANY afternoon showing this weekend. It's the 9 pm showing for me. The last thing I want is toddlers screaming throughout my $10 movie...

I agree I wanted to see Shrek, but I made sure it was well after its opening weekend, and went during the week while school was in. But I don't think the PG-13 is going to stop parents from taking their kids or letting them go. Oh how things have changed. Parents don't care anymore, as long as they have their kids occupied for 3 hrs its fine by them.

Oh by the way, if you want to see shrek, wait for the DVD.

WildcatDen

Word of warning though. It's VERY PG-13. This one is darker than the others... More serious, more action. More fighting, more killing. The opening scene pretty much lets you know that right out of the gate. I'm still not quite sure that my 8 and 10 year olds are ready for this one, where the first two were just fine.

Keep that in mind if you've got young ones.

Any more PG-13 than the Lord of the Rings movies?

jimmieglen2006

i think spidey was great. i hear so many people bashing it:brick:
but anyway. i am excited about pirates. i think it will come close to spidey. i think one thing i find intresting is that jonny depp got a best actor nod for the first but the second and probibly the third are seen as fan boy flicks. i am excited going to go see it friday. a friend has not seen spidey yet so we are goign to go see spidey and then pirates. :sohappy: :sohappy: ton of adernalin pumping, testostaron fun
have a question.. who do you think whould when in a fight spidey or captian jack?:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom