Pirates 3 Ticket Sales at Pleasure Island Update

imagineer boy

Except what the article is trying to convey is that POTC is a cheap Star Wars ripoff.

It isn't a Star Wars rip off. It just uses the same archetypes that Star Wars has. Heck, Star Wars borrowed from Beowulf and other old stories to form its story arch. Besides, its a very common story structure that is used in many movies and books.

EpcotServo

I think someone's been drinking from the well of hyperbole...

Deep story? LOL! You're mixing up terms: Convolution and depth are not the same thing. Explain to me how any idea brought up in the Pirates films is *deep.*

You want depth, go watch the collective works of Bergman and Fellini and get back to me. The pirates movies should do one thing and one thing only--keep me entertained. In a summer action/adventure movie, I want action and adventure (crazy, I know!). I want explosions and sword fights. I don't want a sea of McGuffins and Red Herrings. I don't want BORING dialogue scenes that are vague and do nothing to develop both characters or plot. I don't want unbearably boring reoccurring gags (Hello, Multiple Jack's!) And, most of all, I don't want a B-movie style 50 foot woman turning into crabs. Is that too much to ask?
-SPOILERS AHEAD-

Have you ever thought about how Will is destined to become the captain of the Flying Dutchman, right from the start? To ferry lost souls beyond Davy Jones' Locker and to the other side? Notice how will ends up floating alone in the ocean in all three movies? Why Tia says in the second one "You have a touch of destiny about you"? Or why Jack in the first one says "You have Pirate blood in you boy, you'll have to square with that some day..."? Will was ment to slay Jones and sail the seas forever. Norrington dies because of that. Everything in the last two movies happens for a reason. The multiple Jacks are a way of showing you (finally) what it's like to be in Jack's mind. In the first part in Davy Jones' locker shows just how terrible being alone is. Remember when Teague talks about the problem being "living with yourself"? All this shows Jack learning why he dosen't want to be the captain of the Flying Dutchman, and why he ends up going on the side of the Pirate Lords. Those parts of the movie convey the problem with being the last of your kind, and do it with humor too. You'll find that the reason people in the movie are talking so much, is because they have something to say. I suggest you listen more carefully.

I say that in the most respectful of meanings.
:wave:

imagineer99

So, basically the pirates sequels just want everyone not to be alone and have a good ole' friend?

The first 30 seconds of Toy Story did that (and without needless characters and dialogue!) You got a friend in me! You got a friend in me!

I love the length to which people go to try to defend this film. I'm convinced that the movie could have been a close-up of Jack Sparrow mugging at the camera for 3 hours and people would have gone wild!

maryszhi

Now I am going to have to see it again tom. to see if i understand it. Its sooo hard to concentrate with hotties Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp are in it .
My original post from a week ago tom: Opps forgot to mention how my parents asked me why was i was so eager for each of the Pirates movies, They said is it b/c of Orlando and Johnny. My proud response: Yes, with a big nod, my friends nods followed with giggles.
I am just glad that will and liz got together.
I went with my parents and a huge group of my friends and their parents.
It was so funny, we got their ten minutes b/f and got the last tics.
I couldn't believe it. It was friday(tech sat.) and there were 5 theaters showing it. It was super crowed, except the snack bar (LOL)
I hope there is one more!!!
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~when you wish upon a star~

Ps Hope there is a 4 pirates, more johhny and Orlando= More happy teenage girls like me:)
oops forgot to say it was the midnight showing

wherewhy

I have to disagree, I'm with epcotservo on this one, I am a huge fan of star wars, Indy, LoTR ect. but I love the pirats films. I has a story line throughout if you just pay attention a little deeper than what they show on the surface. We have seen each movie multiple times in the theatre starting with the first, which is unusual for me, but I seemed to discover something new each time I watched them. The third movie I had to see twice to get it all. Just the right combo of action and storyline IMHO

EpcotServo

So, basically the pirates sequels just want everyone not to be alone and have a good ole' friend?

The first 30 seconds of Toy Story did that (and without needless characters and dialogue!) You got a friend in me! You got a friend in me!

I love the length to which people go to try to defend this film. I'm convinced that the movie could have been a close-up of Jack Sparrow mugging at the camera for 3 hours and people would have gone wild!

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."

I answered your question in that last post, and it amazes me the length to which people will go to dismiss things.Give me another example of a "needless character or needless dialogue, and I'll be glad to tip you in.

On a side note, who else thinks that that one shot in Davy Jones' Locker is the most perfect way to describe Captain Jack. This complex guy, can all be summed up in that one shot of him trying to pull the Black Pearl along in the middle of a desert. Even when he knows there is nothing that can be done, he's still going to try!

WDWFigment

Now I am going to have to see it again tom. to see if i understand it. Its sooo hard to concentrate with hotties Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp are in it .
My original post from a week ago tom: Opps forgot to mention how my parents asked me why was i was so eager for each of the Pirates movies, They said is it b/c of Orlando and Johnny. My proud response: Yes, with a big nod, my friends nods followed with giggles.
I am just glad that will and liz got together.
I went with my parents and a huge group of my friends and their parents.
It was so funny, we got their ten minutes b/f and got the last tics.
I couldn't believe it. It was friday(tech sat.) and there were 5 theaters showing it. It was super crowed, except the snack bar (LOL)
I hope there is one more!!!
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~when you wish upon a star~

Ps Hope there is a 4 pirates, more johhny and Orlando= More happy teenage girls like me:)
oops forgot to say it was the midnight showing

*~*~~*~*~*~*omg, thatz exacly wut I wuz thinkin when I 1st saw the movi. it was lik so (LOL) good bc will and liz got 2gether that it shod win an emmy or somthing. I hav 2 see it agan jus so I can figur out who is more hottr. thatz the tough parrt. muawh!~~~*~*~~~*~

As for EpcotServo's comments, I think that's an interesting analysis of Will's destiny, but were the scripts for the second and third written along with the first? Did they even plan on making future films at that time? I think you might be reading too much into vague dialogue that could mean a lot of things (I think Jack's comment that Will would have to square with his pirate blood someday meant he'd need to acknowledge it and move on). If they would've the story go a different direction, you could just as easily say the same thing about other dialogue. Not to bash the points you made, I think it's great that people can expand what they see in a film and wrap their imaginations around things to infer additional details, but not everything piece of symbolism or meaning we derive from a film is meant to be there, or is seen by everyone. Does this make it any less meaningful for our personal experience? No, but it's still something we must note.

EpcotServo

*~*~~*~*~*~*omg, thatz exacly wut I wuz thinkin when I 1st saw the movi. it was lik so good bc will and liz got 2gether that it shod win an emmy or somthing. I hav 2 see it agan jus so I can figur out who is more hottr. thatz the tough parrt. muawh!~~~*~*~~~*~

As for EpcotServo's comments, I think that's an interesting analysis of Will's destiny, but were the scripts for the second and third written along with the first? Did they even plan on making future films at that time? I think you might be reading too much into vague dialogue that could mean a lot of things (I think Jack's comment that Will would have to square with his pirate blood someday meant he'd need to acknowledge it and move on). If they would've the story go a different direction, you could just as easily say the same thing about other dialogue. Not to bash the points you made, I think it's great that people can expand what they see in a film and wrap their imaginations around things to infer additional details, but not everything piece of symbolism or meaning we derive from a film is meant to be there, or is seen by everyone. Does this make it any less meaningful for our personal experience? No, but it's still something we must note.

Yes. I just got "Bring me that Horizon" today, and it mentions that alot of two and three are based off of comments in the first one. They just thought "Well, what else could that mean?" And through that, they just let the imagination run wild with ideas. They did a great job making two great movies based on one great movie that was supposed to be the end-all. Will's journey is a great example. Also notice how...

-EXTREME SPOILER-

Will is stabbed with his own sword. a "Touch of destiny" indeed!

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice."

Excellent point. I just hope you're considering this statement's reflexive quality.

Give me another example of a "needless character or needless dialogue, and I'll be glad to tip you in.

Needless is an opinion. As in, "$20BB for NASA is needless government spending!" or "It's amazing that people take needless trips to Disney World when there are children starving in Africa!" I'm sure you can find a reason for it, but people are very good at concocting relationships where none exist.

imagineer99

You never did answer my question. You spent a lot of time reading into things and formulating connections that the actual screenwriters never considered (the sequels were made solely because the first was successful. No other reason.) Does inherent plot complexity and messiness make the pirate movies more entertaining? Would you have enjoyed the pirate sequels the same even if the narrative was streamlined (like an Indiana Jones Flick or even the first pirates film?) Absolutely.

Here's my main point: The Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy—and At World's End especially—stands as a lesson in the perils in blockbuster filmmaking: What started out as a fun swashbuckler with novel supernatural elements has become loaded and graceless, lacking charm, subtilty, and compassion.

Finally ask yourself these questions and understand that, even if you don't agree, my criticisms are quite valid:
Is it good screen writing technique to kill off main characters with barely any screentime or to do so off screen (kraken)? Is it a good idea to give the audience a shovel full of MacGuffins that have no baring on the actual plot? Is it a good idea to have absolutely NO true action sequence until the final act of the film? Is it a good idea to make characters such as Will and Elizabeth complete archetypes, without a trace of true human emotion or connection? Finally, does this film really need to be three hours long?

[/SIZE]

Excellent point. I just hope you're considering this statement's reflexive quality.

Good call. I think I'll take some of my own advice and realize that nothing I say will change his mind. Nor, will nothing he say change mine.

I'm done.

LouDisney

I say to each their own. If you love the movie, you love it, if you don't, you don't.

I am a huge POTC fan and a pirate fan in general (I am a huge movie fan). I thought it was GREAT, I think all 3 are great, the story, the characters, the effects, the actors, everything. They are and will remain 3 of my favorite movies of all time. As much as I love movies and these POTC films, I don't however feel the need to sit and pick and find each and every thing that was right, wrong, could have been better, was better, etc...that so many people are doing in this and other threads. The movies are done, there is no going back and changing them and they are what they are.

Bottom line, in my opinion, it was a great movie, great story, great characters and I am very happy with the way it turned out. I am happy with the way all 3 of them turned out. Not everyone feels the same way and that is their opinion. :)

I say to each their own. If you love the movie, you love it, if you don't, you don't.

I am a huge POTC fan and a pirate fan in general. I am a huge movie fan. I thought it was GREAT, I think all 3 are great, the story, the characters, the effects, the actors, everything. They are and will remain 3 of my favorite movies of all time. As much as I love movies and these POTC films, I don't however feel the need to sit and pick and find each and every thing that was right, wrong, could have been better, was better, etc...that so many people are doing in this and other threads. The movies are done, there is no going back and changing them and they are what they are.

Bottom line, in my opinion, it was a great movie, great story, great characters and I am very happy with the way it turned out. Not everyone feels the same way and that is their opinion. :)

I completely agree, that's exactly how I feel. I haven't wrote any scripts, or directed films, or composed music, so I will not criticize these people who made extremely successful films just because a little thing here and there bothered me. Bottom line is, argue all you want, but pirates are now a household thing thanks to these 3 movies, and the people involved are getting the last laugh...all the way to the bank.

Jesùs_Carioca

Well, I'm happy to say that i did manage to see "Pirates of the Caribbean 3: At World's End" at the Pleasure Island AMC theatre, despite the fact that i had to wait until the Sunday night of opening weekend.

But just for a bit of info, i can say atleast, at Downtown Disney, that even up to the night showings on Sunday, 3 days after it came out, there were still theatres en masse becoming sold out quickly, usually at least by an hour, before the movie even started. Maybe it's because I was aiming for the 8pm showing that day, got there 50 minutes early to get the tickets for my friends and I, and still had to settle for the next 8:45 showing, along with the fact that it was Downtown Disney (i mean, if we thought it only felt right to go see Pirates there, how many else would have?), but to me atleast, that was saying a lot for the movie.

EpcotServo

Here's my main point: The Pirates Of The Caribbean trilogy—and At World's End especially—stands as a lesson in the perils in blockbuster filmmaking: What started out as a fun swashbuckler with novel supernatural elements has become loaded and graceless, lacking charm, subtilty, and compassion.
So you think. Just because you think it's loaded and graceless, or lacking charm, subtilty, and compassion, just means one thing. you think it is. Nothing more.

Finally ask yourself these questions and understand that, even if you don't agree, my criticisms are quite valid:
Ok, shoot. Any criticism is valid, it's the answer that matters.

Is it good screen writing technique to kill off main characters with barely any screentime or to do so off screen (kraken)?
Barely any screentime? Norrington was in the first two movies. World's End is the final chapter of a two-part story. Why would anyone care about Han Solo being brought back in Return of the Jedi if they haven't seen the first two? And the Kraken isn't really a main character. It's more of a threat for Dead Man's Chest, and is used to show in World's End how the world is changing. As said in the film, the East India Trading Company is out to tame the seas. No more room for magic, monsters, and Pirates. That's why Beckett ordered Davy Jones to kill the Kraken. Just as I'm sure Beckett would've killed Jones the second he had no use for him.

Is it a good idea to give the audience a shovel full of MacGuffins that have no baring on the actual plot?
No it isn't. Are you saying that there are some in Pirates? Cause' I got it all the first time around. Who else?

Is it a good idea to have absolutely NO true action sequence until the final act of the film?
Again, you're right. If it wasn't only for that darn action-packed escape in the middle of the film, why, you could say that in regards to At World's End! Shame you can't.

Is it a good idea to make characters such as Will and Elizabeth complete archetypes, without a trace of true human emotion or connection?
Yes, the Hero romance story is done WAAYYYY to much. It's like films are stories, what's up with that!!!

Finally, does this film really need to be three hours long?
The good ones do. And Pirates did, so what does that make Pirates?

All arguments aside, I concur. I'm done as well. I just want you to take away this message: Not all Pirates fans are people that will love anything with Captain Jack. Not that I don't like him, but he's not really anywhere on my list of reasons why I love the three Pirates films. There are alot of fans like me, who love the settings, stories, and adventures these films have taken us on. The production design on these movies remind me alot of the outside-the-box thinking of the first three Star Wars and Indy films.

Spreken of ze Star Wars, I just got back from a great first day of Star Wars Weekends, and will be bringing everyone an update soon!

majortom1981

Will and Elizabeth do have emotions. This is exactly what I keep saying about the third movies. If you go in and dont pay attention to it you come out thinking it stunk.

You didnt notice the sub plot of elizabeth and jack or Will having to decide between basically his love for his father or his love of his gf ?

Also The big problem of this third movie is that it wasnt all fun. People came in expecting a fun movie but got a movie with sub plots, actually story and some deep down things only people fully paying attention and who have watched the other two movies would get.

The good ones do. And Pirates did, so what does that make Pirates?

Citizen Kane - 119 minutes
Casablanca - 102 minutes
Rear Window - 112 minutes
Wizard of Oz - 108 minutes
Crash (2006 Oscar) - 113 minutes
American Beauty (2000 Oscar) - 122 minutes

My only point being, ahem, "there is no correlation between run time and quality." And spare me a list a great movies that are long, the point is, good movies come in any length as long as such length is appropriate to the story.

EpcotServo

Citizen Kane - 119 minutes
Casablanca - 102 minutes
Rear Window - 112 minutes
Wizard of Oz - 108 minutes
Crash (2006 Oscar) - 113 minutes
American Beauty (2000 Oscar) - 122 minutes

My only point being, ahem, "there is no correlation between run time and quality." And spare me a list a great movies that are long, the point is, good movies come in any length as long as such length is appropriate to the story.
I never said that shorter movies are worse either.

Oh, and while reading the making of Pirates the other day, I found out a certain mouse can be found hidden in the navigational chart!
:lol:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Listen to me, I’m very important and what I say must be taken very seriously, because I have said so OK. Anything I like is just brilliant; anything I hate is complete and utter mince. As I have said it this is beyond contestation. Do not try and disagree to do so will only make you look more foolish than the woman leaving the toilet with her skirt tucked in the back of her briefs.

Please dont bore me with personal experiences or quotes from articles as they are all meaningless when viewed opposite my own exalted views.

Got it, now run along, if I want to hear your opinion Ill give it to you.

Wilt Dasney

Listen to me, I’m very important and what I say must be taken very seriously, because I have said so OK. Anything I like is just brilliant; anything I hate is complete and utter mince. As I have said it this is beyond contestation. Do not try and disagree to do so will only make you look more foolish than the woman leaving the toilet with her skirt tucked in the back of her briefs.

Please dont bore me with personal experiences or quotes from articles as they are all meaningless when viewed opposite my own exalted views.

Got it, now run along, if I want to hear your opinion Ill give it to you.

Well, I'm glad we got that settled.

So what did YOU think of Pirates? :lookaroun :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom