Pinocchio live action reboot

Magenta Panther

I think what's funny about it is that the character in the original story is the "fairy with turquoise [or blue] hair" so making her bald is interesting.

Yeah, you'd think "Disney" would have given her a blue wig or something.

Anyway, I can certainly why "Disney" chose not to put this stinkeroo in theaters. Nobody asked for this remake, most don't want it, and fewer still would have paid for it.

BuddyThomas

Yeah, you'd think "Disney" would have given her a blue wig or something.

Anyway, I can certainly why "Disney" chose not to put this stinkeroo in theaters. Nobody asked for this remake, most don't want it, and fewer still would have paid for it.
Disney did not put the original in a "blue wig or something". As to the rest of your comment, all I can say is that you do not own a crystal ball and therefore, the things you are saying cannot be proven. You do not know it is a "stinkaroo". People did ask for this remake. People do want it. And you do not have the slightest idea who would pay for it. I will tell you this much. If I did not already have Disney+, I would get it just for this. Therefore, basically, everything you said is just completely wrong. When you make statements, I suggest you speak for yourself and not the rest of the universe.

BuddyThomas

The trailer has racked up 1.6 million views in one (1) day on Disney’s feed alone and thousands of more views on other movie trailer feeds….but I guess no one wants it or cares at all.

Diamond Dot

The "Live Action" remakes of Aladdin, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Jungle Book made **huge** amounts of money. [Dumbo live-action retelling, not so much.]

So... of course Disney's going to remake. Plenty of other studios tried to do the same in modern times with Pinocchio and Snow White et al.

If it can make a buck, someone will do it.

Also, a lot of people really enjoyed those Live Action remakes. While even liking the original. No one is forcing anyone to see the remake.
It would still be nice to have some originality for a change.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It would still be nice to have some originality for a change.
Disney Pictures (the Live Action studio) consistently makes bombs when they're not mining their own established IPs (Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, The BFG, The Finest Hours).

They don't even have a theatrical release scheduled for this year. Instead, they're making direct-to-Disney+ movies which are also bombing (Noelle, Artemis Fowl, Magic Camp, Flora & Ulysses).

Until Disney Studios has a major corporate overhaul, the best we can hope for is them to follow the established success of a previous IP.

The other studios will have to be the source of fresh stories.

brb1006

New photo of Pinocchio

f9usni2k5aj91.jpg

Ghost93

The trailer looks almost exactly like the animated movie. I'm sure it will be a decent film, but if it's so similar to the original, I don't really see the point in remaking it.

I wonder if Pinocchio will drink and smoke as he did in the 1940 animated version. I know modern Disney is trying to avoid tobacco depictions, but in the original movie, it was very clearly portrayed as a bad thing, so including Pinocchio smoking and turning into a donkey because of it may reinforce the "smoking=bad" message.

dreday3

The trailer looks almost exactly like the animated movie. I'm sure it will be a decent film, but if it's so similar to the original, I don't really see the point in remaking it.

I wonder if Pinocchio will drink and smoke as he did in the 1940 animated version. I know modern Disney is trying to avoid tobacco depictions, but in the original movie, it was very clearly portrayed as a bad thing, so including Pinocchio smoking and turning into a donkey because of it may reinforce the "smoking=bad" message.

That's why I'm excited for it. Plus, from the preview, the depiction of Pleasure Island looks amazing. And the music/songs sound wonderful.

And it's free! :D

Ghost93

And it's free! :D
I think Pinocchio is going straight to Disney Plus because while it may be a good movie, it doesn't have the type of fandom that would drive people to the theaters in the same way Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the Lion King did. I think people have enough interest in the Pinocchio IP to check it out on streaming, however.

The original movie was fairly dark for a Disney movie and I do wonder if the remake will retain that tone. It was the Disney equivalent of a Christian fire and brimstone sermon.

If you skip school...you'll be sold off to a corrupt puppet master who will want to chop you into firewood!

If you tell a lie....your nose will grow!!

Want to drink alcohol and smoke and destroy property? Then you'll be turned into a donkey and sold into slavery for the rest of your life!!!

Pinocchio had an old-school fairytale vibe where it seemed like it was trying to encourage children to be good, productive citizens by scaring the crap out of them with horror stories of what would happen if they misbehaved.

dreday3

I think Pinocchio is going straight to Disney Plus because while it may be a good movie, it doesn't have the type of fandom that would drive people to the theaters in the same way Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the Lion King did. I think people have enough interest in the Pinocchio IP to check it out on streaming, however.

The original movie was fairly dark for a Disney movie and I do wonder if the remake will retain that tone. It was the Disney equivalent of a Christian fire and brimstone sermon.

If you skip school...you'll be sold off to a corrupt puppet master who will want to chop you into firewood!

If you tell a lie....your nose will grow!!

Want to drink alcohol and smoke and destroy property? Then you'll be turned into a donkey and sold into slavery for the rest of your life!!!

Pinocchio had an old-school fairytale vibe where it seemed like it was trying to encourage children to be good, productive citizens by scaring the crap out of them with horror stories of what would happen if they misbehaved.

I can't tell if you like Pinocchio because of all that or you didn't. :D

Pinocchio was a dark movie, but it was soooo good. I watch it at least once a year. I'm still disturbed when I hear the little boy- donkey crying for it's mom! I think this will be dark enough around Pleasure Island, but not as "disturbing", if that makes sense.

Plus, Figaro!

Ghost93

I can't tell if you like Pinocchio because of all that or you didn't. :D

Pinocchio was a dark movie, but it was soooo good. I watch it at least once a year. I'm still disturbed when I hear the little boy- donkey crying for it's mom! I think this will be dark enough around Pleasure Island, but not as "disturbing", if that makes sense.

Plus, Figaro!
I like Pinocchio, but I was stating reasons why I don't think it would be a very commercial movie in 2022.

Though, to be fair, the original movie was also a flop upon release and only gained its status as a classic through multiple re-releases.

mf1972

i’ll admit it doesn’t look bad. obviously we’ll see after it premieres. 1 odd thing i thought of was how i miss the figaro fries at the village house.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I hear in the remake, in place of smoking, they'll be having Pinocchio manage a hedge fund and sell Amway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom