Pinocchio live action reboot

Magenta Panther

It takes a really........ummmmmm....rrrrr......interesting person to splash demented hatred for Muppets all over this board and then he decides to attack the new Pinocchio. The trailer looks amazing. And again, the "bald blue fairy" is Cynthia Erivo, who is freaking amazing in everything she does. She will be Elphaba in the film adaptation of Wicked. Make sure not to see it!!!
Well, as far as her playing Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, that's just typecasting. Because, after all...

Glinda.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I didn't mean to speak anything to the quality of the movie and there isn't good stuff as streaming exclusives, but Disney is in a different position than streaming like Netflix and Apple TV because Disney can elect to send a movie to theaters. It doesn't seem like Disney premier access is a thing for now so I think the only question is whether Disney thinks a movie has a shot to be a mega box office hit or not. Disney doesn't want to be embarrassed by low numbers and Disney can only control the narrative on streaming. If a release is popular they'll say how many views it had in X time and if it's less popular then they'll be quiet about it.

So I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the film as much as straight bean counting about what Disney can expect at the box office. Even then they're sometimes wrong (Encanto appeared underestimate and Lightyear overestimated).
Streaming services don't live in a black box anymore. With reporting services like Nielsen, Samba TV, and such there is now an external view into how content is performing on the services. So no Disney isn't completely controlling the narrative, if they say X and the reporting services state Y we'll know immediately there is a discrepancy and Disney will be questioned.

Also as has been pointed out Netflix and Apple can release any of their original films to theaters if they want to. They are already doing this in order for some of their original films to be eligible for awards such as the Oscars.

Remember that most studios including Disney have been and will likely continue to prioritize their streaming services over the theatrical release. So just because a movie is being sent to D+ instead of theaters shouldn't be seen as Disney not believing it to be a box office hit but rather that it believes it'll help boost D+ viewership numbers.

Magenta Panther

I understand exactly what your issue is. I SEE YOU.
You see what you want to see, methinks.

I mean, anybody who can't understand (or pretends he doesn't understand) people's objections to a bald Blue Fairy and tries to lay the blame on something else is seeing things through a very narrow, prejudicial lens. And may himself have issues.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, I “think” (not 100% sure) that it will start streaming at midnight. They’ve done that kind of thing before.
Generally midnight PT.

A previous press release had a Hulu discount starting at "12p PT / 9p PT." It's since been corrected.

They make mistakes.

mf1972

i’m seeing the reviews aren’t that good at all. we’ll watch it this weekend & see how we feel about it.

BuddyThomas

Welp, that's it. Unfortunately, this has turned out to be a bomb after all. So far, only 28% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. Argh.

(I'm still gonna watch it, though.)

BuddyThomas

This allegedly cost $150 million to make...and went straight to streaming. 😬
Straight to streaming is not a bad thing anymore. As previously stated, CODA went straight to streaming and won the Academy Award for Best Picture earlier this year. There have been plenty of other movies that went straight to streaming and picked up multiple awards or nominations. There was good reason to be hopeful for this one, particularly since the director is Robert Zemeckis who brought us the Back to the Future trilogy, Death Becomes Her, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and all sorts of other good stuff. It's a shame that this is apparently a real flub.

Inspired Figment

The scene w Pinocchio stopping & sniffing a pile of horse s**t… yeeeah (PS: not even kidding folks, that actually happens in the movie. In the scene where Honest John & Gideon spy on/spot Pinocchio)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom