Pinocchio live action reboot

dreday3

So far I'm super excited! Figaro!!! Tom Hanks has Gepetto down! And from what we hear, that's a beautiful version of When You Wish Upon a Star.

I will say I'm not really a fan of the director's animation style in the past though.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Pinocchio is supposed to be set in Italy, why Tom Hanks?
"Italian" is not a "race."

The traditional and totally without any scientific definition of race was based on skin color (which does not genetically make one group of humans significantly different than another). Italians are "Caucasian" and "European" and "White" under that kind of thinking.

I believe Mr. Hanks would probably self-identify as White. I wouldn't think his casting is taking a job away from some more talented Italian who has been denied many roles in TV, film, an stage because they are Italian. Besides, Hanks is of Portuguese descent, so, he's got "Mediterranean blood."

With the fall of Rome, Italy underwent constant invasions from Northern Europe and Central Asia, so, there is no "purebred" Italians, as if Sicilian, Central Italy, and Northern Italy could even be thought of as a single tribal group bounded by the current national boundaries of Italy. They ain't.

FutureCEO

"Italian" is not a "race."

The traditional and totally without any scientific definition of race was based on skin color (which does not genetically make one group of humans significantly different than another). Italians are "Caucasian" and "European" and "White" under that kind of thinking.

I believe Mr. Hanks would probably self-identify as White. I wouldn't think his casting is taking a job away from some more talented Italian who has been denied many roles in TV, film, an stage because they are Italian. Besides, Hanks is of Portuguese descent, so, he's got "Mediterranean blood."

With the fall of Rome, Italy underwent constant invasions from Northern Europe and Central Asia, so, there is no "purebred" Italians, as if Sicilian, Central Italy, and Northern Italy could even be thought of as a single tribal group bounded by the current national boundaries of Italy. They ain't.

I never mentioned race but ok

Diamond Dot

To accuse those making negative comments about the pointless remaking of a classic animation when the previous attempts have not been great is not an argument in favour of the remake.
With so many wonderful stories out there why do they need to rehash perfection? I recently went through my DVDs as I have far too many and I rewatched several of the Disney live action movies and they were marvellous. The Island At The Top Of The World, Third Man On the Mountain and Treasure Island are tremendous movies and largely forgotten.
I would suggest that Disney go through the classic novels and do us a favour and adapt them faithfully for the screen without going the route of 'inclusivity' by changing character's skin colour, gender or occupation as was done in the abysmal BBC adaption of 'Around the World In 80 Days. Or commission an original fairy tale where the ethnicity of the characters doesn't matter. I really enjoyed Sulphur Springs on Disney+ it was a series about time travel and ghosts and no one cared about the colour of the skins of the characters, we cared about the characters themselves. This kind of series is a rarity today.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To accuse those making negative comments about the pointless remaking of a classic animation when the previous attempts have not been great is not an argument in favour of the remake.
With so many wonderful stories out there why do they need to rehash perfection? I recently went through my DVDs as I have far too many and I rewatched several of the Disney live action movies and they were marvellous. The Island At The Top Of The World, Third Man On the Mountain and Treasure Island are tremendous movies and largely forgotten.
I would suggest that Disney go through the classic novels and do us a favour and adapt them faithfully for the screen without going the route of 'inclusivity' by changing character's skin colour, gender or occupation as was done in the abysmal BBC adaption of 'Around the World In 80 Days. Or commission an original fairy tale where the ethnicity of the characters doesn't matter. I really enjoyed Sulphur Springs on Disney+ it was a series about time travel and ghosts and no one cared about the colour of the skins of the characters, we cared about the characters themselves. This kind of series is a rarity today.
The "Live Action" remakes of Aladdin, Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and Jungle Book made **huge** amounts of money. [Dumbo live-action retelling, not so much.]

So... of course Disney's going to remake. Plenty of other studios tried to do the same in modern times with Pinocchio and Snow White et al.

If it can make a buck, someone will do it.

Also, a lot of people really enjoyed those Live Action remakes. While even liking the original. No one is forcing anyone to see the remake.

Disney Analyst

I always find the remake argument tiresome. While I understand this means there may be less room, money, or space for an original... The fact is Disney is a business. These remakes are good business, and make money. A safe bet. I personally enjoy seeing them adapted in live action.

I want there to be room for both of course. Originals and remakes.

The Empress Lilly

FB_IMG_1654039904379.jpg

First PR pics of new live action 101 Dalmatians released!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom