Pinocchio live action reboot

tcool123

…and the CGI looks the way it does with that much of a budget? Tom Hanks must’ve taken 120 million for this then 😅
About the ending...

WHAT IS THE POINT OF PINOCCHIO IF HE NEVER TURNS INTO A REAL BOY

WHY WAS MONSTRO A SQUID WHALE CREATURE

WHY DOES A HUMAN GIRL WANT TO ROMANCE PINOCCHIO

WHY ARE THERE SMOKE CREATURES ON PLEASURE ISLAND

HOW IS PINOCCHIO FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND AND HOW CAN A SEAGULL ACT AS A JETSKI FOR HIM

This is truly, for me, the worst remake Disney has put out. Yes, the CGI is fun to make fun of but the new songs for the most part are really poor fits within the film and the older songs. When coupled with the five spoilers throughout that occurred throughout the film, the film just is frustrating as most of the elements from the original film were fine and could have worked better than what was presented.

If there is a positive it's that Cynthia Erivo had a beautiful rendition of "When You Wish Upon a Star", think what you want about her but there's no denying her beautiful voice!

WorldExplorer

Didn't plan to actually watch. Reading all the reviews now and I kinda feel like I want to now just to see the trainwreck.

Eh, still probably won't.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

About the ending...

HOW IS PINOCCHIO FASTER THAN THE SPEED OF SOUND AND HOW CAN A SEAGULL ACT AS A JETSKI FOR HIM

This is truly, for me, the worst remake Disney has put out. Yes, the CGI is fun to make fun of but the new songs for the most part are really poor fits within the film and the older songs. When coupled with the five spoilers throughout that occurred throughout the film, the film just is frustrating as most of the elements from the original film were fine and could have worked better than what was presented.

If there is a positive it's that Cynthia Erivo had a beautiful rendition of "When You Wish Upon a Star", think what you want about her but there's no denying her beautiful voice!
Ugh. Well, I'm watching it tonight. It sounds like I'm going to need about a gallon of wine first. :hungover:

dreday3

About the ending...

Oooof.

I'll just re-watch the original tomorrow night.

BuddyThomas

Just finished it. Oh. My. God.

First - The Good - The Pleasure Island sequence was super-creepy-good and Cynthia Erivo was amazing as always, the cinematography was well done, and I liked the references to other Disney movies within the clocks, but the rest of it - ugggghhhhhh.

The Bad - Who decided that they needed an annoying seagull voiced by Loraine Bracco as a character?! Who decided to get rid of the undersea sequence? Who decided to get rid of "Give a Little Whistle" and have someone write inferior songs instead? Who decided it needed to be so long? The CGI Monstro was impressive but the whole thing was anticlimactic. The first one was an hour and twenty seven minutes. This one adds 24 minutes to that. Why??

@tcool123 is exactly right about the ending. It made me seriously angry.

I actually think that young children will enjoy this, but for those of us who have been around the block a few times, this totally felt like "construction of a movie by committee", and nobody wins, especially the audience.

Very disappointed.

wtyy21

For someone who watched Pinocchio at Disney+, the Walt Disney Pictures logo was open as usual, but Jiminy Cricket sing the fanfare at the end.

TwilightZone

Watched this with a group last night, just terrible. The changes made were highly questionable at best and downright baffling at worse (ALL of the group questioned the change from regular beer to rootbeer and the shadow monsters). The movie drags and treats its audience like idiots. The acting of Tom Hanks as Gepetto makes him more creepy than charming. The movie is so slow even the moments meant to be big and exciting feel slow and boring. The CG is terrible and to top it all off there’s an obvious cut scene left in the script.

Do yourself a favor and do not watch this, even with a group it is tiring. Wait for Del Toro’s instead or watch the original movie.

Vegas Disney Fan

I found it cute and enjoyed it more than I expected but it’s another example of what is Disney thinking?

The shadow monsters made no sense, changing Monstro made no sense, and the ending was so abrupt I had to go back to make sure I didn’t nod off for a minute and miss something.

I find myself asking “Why?” more and more often with Disney decisions recently, I just don’t understand the logic behind a lot of the choices they are making.

TwilightZone

I forgot to mention theres a scene that unintentionally spits in the face of disney legacy, two words: Candy Mountain, you will know it when you see it.
Once again just terrible there’s so much about this movie I have barely hit the tip of the iceberg

TwilightZone

The group I watched this with guessed the ending was supposed to be a message that it didn’t matter that Pinochio wasn’t a real boy because he proved that he had a real soul but it doesn’t work because Pinochio didn’t seem like he really wanted to be a real boy or have a real soul to begin with, only doing things because it would make Gepetto happy. I feel like the message should have been that you should not go out of your way to make your family happy because they will always love you or something like that instead if they wanted to go with the “Pinochio doesn’t transform” angle.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ok, so my opinion.....

If someone is going in expecting the exact retelling of the classic Pinocchio we all know and love, well you're going to be disappointed.

But if you go in with either no expectation or never having seen the original Pinocchio it was actually ok. There was lots of nostalgia bait, standard for the live action remakes, and lots of meta jokes, again standard for current audiences.

dreday3

Posted elsewhere, I did a rewatch tonight with friend and her kids.

I'm a HUGE Pinocchio fan.

First, the entire opening scene in the workshop is pure joy. Everything is spot on and the clocks are fantastic.

The Blue Fairy was excellent. I was so easily able to forget my preconceived notion of what the Blue Fairy was "supposed" to look like.

Honest John was perfect! Anyone catch the Chris Pine joke? 😀

The seagull was an odd choice.
Stromboli was soooo good.
The dancer wasn't needed but still fun to watch.
Stagecoach scene with all the kids waving their arms was just like scene in original where they were in shadow. Very cool.
Pleasure Island was awesome. Luke Evans can sing. Yes there were girls. Yes it was root beer not beer.. Who cares. No smoking.
Donkey scene still horrifying as heck, almost worse.

Won't spoil rest. I will say I prefer the original ending. Also this movie was visually stunning and I thought his facial expressions were very well done.

Anyways, I don't get these horrible reviews. I feel like maybe some people weren't actually fans of the original? How could you call this boring?

Give this a shot. This will be on my rewatch list. I think when Disney hate dies down a bit, this will be more appreciated.

And Figaro stole the show.

dreday3

I found it cute and enjoyed it more than I expected but it’s another example of what is Disney thinking?

The shadow monsters made no sense, changing Monstro made no sense, and the ending was so abrupt I had to go back to make sure I didn’t nod off for a minute and miss something.

I find myself asking “Why?” more and more often with Disney decisions recently, I just don’t understand the logic behind a lot of the choices they are making.

The shadow monsters were a nod to the original...

Coachmanminion.jpg

Magenta Panther

Posted elsewhere, I did a rewatch tonight with friend and her kids.

I'm a HUGE Pinocchio fan.

First, the entire opening scene in the workshop is pure joy. Everything is spot on and the clocks are fantastic.

The Blue Fairy was excellent. I was so easily able to forget my preconceived notion of what the Blue Fairy was "supposed" to look like.

Honest John was perfect! Anyone catch the Chris Pine joke? 😀

The seagull was an odd choice.
Stromboli was soooo good.
The dancer wasn't needed but still fun to watch.
Stagecoach scene with all the kids waving their arms was just like scene in original where they were in shadow. Very cool.
Pleasure Island was awesome. Luke Evans can sing. Yes there were girls. Yes it was root beer not beer.. Who cares. No smoking.
Donkey scene still horrifying as heck, almost worse.

Won't spoil rest. I will say I prefer the original ending. Also this movie was visually stunning and I thought his facial expressions were very well done.

Anyways, I don't get these horrible reviews. I feel like maybe some people weren't actually fans of the original? How could you call this boring?

Give this a shot. This will be on my rewatch list. I think when Disney hate dies down a bit, this will be more appreciated.

And Figaro stole the show.

It's crap like this remake that generates "Disney hate".

I'm a huge fan of the original. I have it on DVD. The extras alone give me goosebumps. Pinocchio is considered by many to be Walt's best animated feature film. No remake could possibly equal it, much less surpass it. So why remake it at all? It's gotten ridiculous. Remaking 2D-animated Disney classic films has become a knee-jerk habit at this point with whoever the hell is choosing film projects at "Disney" - "Let's remake ALL of the old dead guy's films, and let's also apologize for them and make sure the remakes are woke!" Feh.

Just to be asking though, what is your opinion of the scene where Pinocchio sniffs horse turds?

Magenta Panther

Are we proving who's the biggest fan? 😀

I think people are being predictably overly critical about that scene. Taken in context, it was funny.
He just came alive the night before. Everything is new , even poop.

I've read your posts. You don't like much. This conversation will prove to be fruitless.

Hating on everything Disney has jumped the shark. When mainstream media catches on, you know it's over.

You're very likely right, this conversation will prove fruitless. But just to be asking, do you think that all of the critics that trashed this remake also suffer from Disney hate? (The film currently has a 29% Rotten rating on the film critic aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes).

I mean, if you like it, fine. But don't paint those of us who don't like it or don't plan to watch it as haters. Many of us love Disney. We just hate what DIsney has become.

dreday3

You're very likely right, this conversation will prove fruitless. But just to be asking, do you think that all of the critics that trashed this remake also suffer from Disney hate? (The film currently has a 29% Rotten rating on the film critic aggregate site Rotten Tomatoes).

I mean, if you like it, fine. But don't paint those of us who don't like it or don't plan to watch it as haters. Many of us love Disney. We just hate what DIsney has become.

Sorry, deleted comment. Don't want to get into a thing. This place did me in tonight. Apologies.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom