Pinocchio live action reboot

tcool123

I think Pinocchio is going straight to Disney Plus because while it may be a good movie, it doesn't have the type of fandom that would drive people to the theaters in the same way Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and the Lion King did. I think people have enough interest in the Pinocchio IP to check it out on streaming, however.
I think this ties into the underperformance of films such as 2019’s Dumbo and Mary Poppins Returns both of which based off of beloved and popular characters yet lacking in the large fandom that the Renaissance films enjoy.

While Pinocchio is very much enjoyed and iconic, and When You Wish Upon a Star is the company’s theme song however that doesn’t necessarily translate to huge numbers for the box office. This was seen with, like I mentioned earlier, Dumbo and Mary Poppins Returns.

BuddyThomas

I think this ties into the underperformance of films such as 2019’s Dumbo and Mary Poppins Returns both of which based off of beloved and popular characters yet lacking in the large fandom that the Renaissance films enjoy.

While Pinocchio is very much enjoyed and iconic, and When You Wish Upon a Star is the company’s theme song however that doesn’t necessarily translate to huge numbers for the box office. This was seen with, like I mentioned earlier, Dumbo and Mary Poppins Returns.
Yeah but this is directed by Robert Zemeckis. Who isn’t exactly chopped liver. I could be completely wrong but this looks absolutely gorgeous and spectacular to me and I’m hoping for the best.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It's also sending Tom Hanks straight to Disney+ and that seems odd.
Some big name actors have already gone directly to D+ in the Marvel and Star Wars series.

And they're not getting 'TV money' for doing so. These are almost as big-budgeted as theatrical releases.

Also: Disney+ is Disney Corp's top priority. More so than theatrical releases. Almost all of Walt Disney Studios live acting movies are going straight to D+ in last year and this year combined.

tcool123

Don’t forget Iger said Disney+ films will tend to be 60 million budgeted, and a chunk of it may have gone to Tom Hanks.

It seems like I’m the odd one out, but some of the CGI looks iffy to me like Monstro, Pinocchio, and Jiminy Cricket they just seem to vibrant and for me clash with the realism

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Don’t forget Iger said Disney+ films will tend to be 60 million budgeted, and a chunk of it may have gone to Tom Hanks.

It seems like I’m the odd one out, but some of the CGI looks iffy to me like Monstro, Pinocchio, and Jiminy Cricket they just seem to vibrant and for me clash with the realism
I would have preferred Pinocchio's eyes to look more realistically wooden than cartoony. At least make them look like orbs that rotate, like an actual wooden doll's would.

dreday3

I'm not a fan of Robert Zemeckis's later animation style at all (Polar Express - ugh). But I'm trying to looking past it for this movie.
The colors are so saturated (in a good way) and vibrant. I think this will be visually stunning!

Magenta Panther

Those eyes...those dead, dead eyes...

pinocchio.jpg

Serious Polar Express vibes.

Add to that the bald Blue Fairy and

puke.jpg

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I'm not a fan of Robert Zemeckis's later animation style at all (Polar Express - ugh). But I'm trying to looking past it for this movie.
The colors are so saturated (in a good way) and vibrant. I think this will be visually stunning!
Polar Express was made at the time when human figures didn't look really good for anybody attempting it. Everybody was Landing in The Uncanny Valley at that time.

BuddyThomas

There a nothing shameful about going straight to a streaming service. CODA was released on Apple+ and won several Academy Awards this year, including Best Picture. Other films released on streaming services that have received Best Picture Oscar nominations include Roma, Don’t Look Up, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Mank, The Trial or the Chicago Seven, and The Power of the Dog. And if you add in Oscar nominations other than Best Picture, the list gets much, much longer. Being released on streaming does NOT mean something is inferior.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There a nothing shameful about going straight to a streaming service. CODA was released on Apple+ and won several Academy Awards this year, including Best Picture. Other films released on streaming services that have received Best Picture Oscar nominations include Roma, Don’t Look Up, The Irishman, Marriage Story, Mank, The Trial or the Chicago Seven, and The Power of the Dog. And if you add in Oscar nominations other than Best Picture, the list gets much, much longer. Being released on streaming does NOT mean something is inferior.
I didn't mean to speak anything to the quality of the movie and there isn't good stuff as streaming exclusives, but Disney is in a different position than streaming like Netflix and Apple TV because Disney can elect to send a movie to theaters. It doesn't seem like Disney premier access is a thing for now so I think the only question is whether Disney thinks a movie has a shot to be a mega box office hit or not. Disney doesn't want to be embarrassed by low numbers and Disney can only control the narrative on streaming. If a release is popular they'll say how many views it had in X time and if it's less popular then they'll be quiet about it.

So I don't think it has anything to do with the quality of the film as much as straight bean counting about what Disney can expect at the box office. Even then they're sometimes wrong (Encanto appeared underestimate and Lightyear overestimated).

BuddyThomas

Those eyes...those dead, dead eyes...

View attachment 662429

Serious Polar Express vibes.

Add to that the bald Blue Fairy and

View attachment 662431
It takes a really........ummmmmm....rrrrr......interesting person to splash demented hatred for Muppets all over this board and then he decides to attack the new Pinocchio. The trailer looks amazing. And again, the "bald blue fairy" is Cynthia Erivo, who is freaking amazing in everything she does. She will be Elphaba in the film adaptation of Wicked. Make sure not to see it!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom