Photo TR: Dan Smith's Trilogy Report

A long time ago, in a mental state far, far away...

dansmithtrilogy.png

It appears that I’ve neglected to post any trip report in here since last February (Shameless Plug™ #1), and as such, I feel like I’ve gone into a sort of relaxing retirement, where I can simply rest knowing the vast amount of money I’ve been paid to write these are generating steady interest in my savings account.

...Like HELL I have. A lot has happened since I turned 18, namely the craziest year of my life.* As a lot of you know by now, I made good on the acceptance from Florida Tech, and have been living in paradise (albeit coexisting with schoolwork) since last August. Being about an hour from the Orlando area, you can imagine I’ve visited WDW at least a couple of times since; though as you can also imagine, university work sort of takes precedence over posting TR’s. (Though not over actually going to the parks... GOD no.) Anyway, this trip report will actually consist of three separate parts, as most great trilogies do. The first is from August 9th (AK/DHS), just before I moved into residence; second is from the 22nd (MK/AK); and finally, from last week, January 23rd (Epcot). All will include hilarity, hijinks, and 30% more insanity than the leading standard, which is presumably Gary Busey.

cooltext447545410.png

Scene I: Random Dinosaurs

I'm starting at Downtown Disney the night before because I can and so there.

IMG_2002.jpg

It should be noted that we took the boat over from Port Orleans, wherein my sister and I listened to "I'm On A Boat" at unnecessarily loud levels on her iPod. One of the most pathetically awesome things we did that weekend.

IMG_1939.jpg

Oh my lord, it's another sad attempt at "artistic". NEXT.

IMG_1943.jpg

Disney has actually created a Disneyland exclusively for fleas. This was a poorly-planned venture, as fleas lack the money or pockets required to carry said so Disney may take it. As a result, this is the most crowded Main Street has ever been.

IMG_1947.jpg

Aah, but you can see it now... fleas from all walks of life coming to enjoy the whimsy and wonder of Disney. A family of fleas passes by, heading right for the biggest rides in the park. A travel group from the back of a Brazilian terrier, 1500 strong, waits for the signal to head to Mad Flea Party.

IMG_1951.jpg

...And at the very end of Main Street lies a castle that, unlike California's, a flea can actually enjoy without making "I'm crushing you" jokes.

IMG_1949.jpg

Even Disney's CEO thinks Micro Disneyland was a bad idea.

IMG_1954.jpg

*Craziest year of my life so FAR.

dandaman

Original Poster
I'd never really considered myself an art lover (2-D animation aside) until a few years ago, when I discovered the Art of Disney store. I always spend at least an hour in here every trip, as it’s probably the only "art museum" I could ever get behind.

IMG_1955.jpg

You know how some people refer to having an "inner child"? I think Carl Fredricksen is my inner old-man.

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1964.jpg

Random rodents.

IMG_1967.jpg

Disney snow > regular snow.

IMG_1971.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Rounding out the evening was the new-ish TREX restaurant. Very similar to Rainforest Cafe (same company), only this involves dinos and is therefore a great improvement.

IMG_2044.jpg

Rawwr, I'm a crazy T-Rex, GIMME SOME TOURISTS!

IMG_1984.jpg

Sat near the ice caverns, which slowly segued between blue and purple tones...

IMG_2018.jpg

...Until of course the meteor shower hits every half-hour, then all digital/lighting/animatronic hell breaks loose.

IMG_2026.jpg

"Hey ladies... you know what they say about big tusks... no, seriously, tell me, I've no clue."

IMG_2030.jpg

"Wait, maybe it's big necks? Damn. I need better pickup lines. Like 'Y'arr, I'm lookin' for treasure, could I see yer chest?'. Or, 'You'll do.'"

IMG_2038.jpg

And we wrap tonight with the amazing KITCHEN OF FIRE, of which this picture does no justice. Had my first chicken-fried steak; was pretty good.

IMG_2041.jpg

Animal Kingdom coming shortly.

Pongo

Had my first chicken-fried steak; was pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Wait wait wait.

You've been living in the South (albeit Florida, but still, more South than Canada) for half a year and you're JUST NOW having chicken fried steak? Furthermore, it was at the T-REX RESTAURANT?! Furthermore, it was "PRETTY GOOD"?

You, my friend, need to assimilate a little better :lol:

dandaman

Original Poster
Luke, check the timestamp, dude. This was a day before I moved in to my dorm. :lol:

And OK, it was probably like fantasmagorically delicious, but I was feeling a little off that evening, so really anything would have been "pretty good" then. :eek:

PotteryGal

Is it a coinky- that when I'm reading your musings above, I'm thinking of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'? Particularly the micro-Disneyland comments.....loving it so far.. :animwink:

sweetpee_1993

Dan! Your timing couldn't be better. I neeeeeeed some inspiration to get my butt in gear with my report. **sigh** As always, lovin it...totally fab...the only improvement is to give us more! More!!!!

dandaman

Original Poster
Scene II: Sortuvazubutnotreallee

No one has this shot. I am awesome.

IMG_2047.jpg

Now I'm just showing off to you mere mortals. WORSHIP MY SKILLS.

IMG_2049.jpg

Getting to Animal Kingdom at 8:55 a.m. entitles you to a privileged look at humans in captivity.

IMG_2053.jpg

Early morning sun + humidity + long distance = this.

IMG_2057.jpg

Is it wrong that I laughed when a southern tourist pronounced it “har-RAM-buh”?

IMG_2059.jpg

“Could you direct me to the nearest toy store?”

IMG_2063.jpg

Welcome to Show. Here is News. And now a word from our sponsor.

IMG_2077.jpg

Anyone named Captain Bob commands my respect by default. Also, it wouldn't quite be Disney if the animals didn't talk.

IMG_2079.jpg

The award for World's Largest Chia Pet goes to...

IMG_2081.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Oh, look. A tea train. I like tea. (Not really.) Let's ride.

IMG_2089.jpg

Mount Everest seemed a lot bigger when I was a kid...

IMG_2090.jpg

...Oh, wait, we have to go up THAT? Crap, why do I keep forgetting to hire sherpas?

IMG_2091.jpg

Better get some tea before we make the climb.

IMG_2093.jpg

Now who the hell designed the railway to go straight through a shrine? Seems a right bit disrespectful to me.

IMG_2094.jpg

Well, almost at the peak. And now to careen heedlessly around this bend, and we'll be...

IMG_2095.jpg

Oh for the love of… the Anandapur Rail Service had better fit "track maintenance" into their list of "Things We Should Pretty Much Always Do" soon. Jeez.

IMG_2098.jpg

...That's it. I'm calling pest control.

IMG_2099.jpg

...Aaaand now I'm calling the company hotline. What kind of railway has a 60% grade down the side of a mountain? Safety 101 should probably tell you that ain't right.

IMG_2100.jpg

Oh, and now we have a non-regulation highly-banked curve on a public rail system? The heck with this, I'm out.

IMG_2102.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Oh, sure. Let's all mock Dan's arthritis.

IMG_2107.jpg

Rode Dinosaur next. We were in time rovers and I saw "capacitor". I felt compelled.

IMG_2109.jpg

I then proceeded to commit mass ownage on the water gun game and won a chameleon. Gave to my sister. Named it Karma.

IMG_2115.jpg

I seem to have an unspoken quota to meet with hibiscuses (hibiscii?) in updates, so... here you go.

IMG_2116.jpg

Tragedy struck the park today, as a wild animal escaped from its cage and attacked various small children.

IMG_2119.jpg

Got the best seats in the house for the best show on property. This afforded me to set up my camera tripod and take this, as when I normally attempt photos of the show, the result resembles something akin to visual diarrhea.

IMG_2139.jpg

Finally for this installation, I propose a game of "Let's Find The Dedication Plaque Error."

IMG_2141.jpg

Disney's Hollywood MGM Studio Place for Movie Films up next.

dandaman

Original Poster
Scene III: DHS incl. RnRC/ToT/TSM/ST/BLT/OMG//BBQ

Retroness

IMG_2148.jpg

If this were really Don Rickles, he'd have jokes that would make a professional comedy roaster blush.

IMG_2153.jpg

Oh, Herbie. You were my favourite car/movie star back in the day. Then you got all Lohan'ed up. *sigh*

IMG_2159.jpg

Bad photo taken from Backlot Tour Is Closed. Ignore. Keep moving.

IMG_2161.jpg

The historic plane from which Walt said, "See that giant swamp down there? That's where we'll make a whole buttload of money." (NOTE: History tends to skew things a bit.)

IMG_2166.jpg

Hello ladies. Do you like my big organ? (I’m so, so sorry.)

IMG_2175.jpg

I was tempted to buy this and post it on my dorm room wall, surrounded with quotes like “Famous Mothers” and “Febtober”.

IMG_2179.jpg

IT'S A TRAP!

IMG_2181.jpg

Who Framed Roger Rabbit = awesome movie. Go see it. I COMMAND YOU.

IMG_2189.jpg

This is the coolest man in Hollywood.

IMG_2191.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
"99 telephones walk into a bar, and start getting angry at the bartender. He says, 'Hey, fellas, what's your hang-up?'"

IMG_2192.jpg

I chuckled. Then I felt shame.

“Lovin’ my underwear, livin’ it up while you pull ‘em down…”

IMG_2199.jpg

WOO! It’s the best hotel on property!

IMG_2200.jpg

Heh.

IMG_2205.jpg

This is either a nicely eerie courtyard or a horribly crappy plot to the next M. Night Shyamalan movie.

IMG_2207.jpg

Two things to note (aside from the obvious Halloween 1939 reference):

A) The Twilight Zone premiered on 10/2/59.

B) In the episode "Escape Clause", a man is visited by the Devil, calling himself Mr. Cadwallader.

IMG_2210.jpg

This gentleman looks so classy I almost WANT to be glove-slapped by him.

IMG_2212.jpg

dandaman

Original Poster
Pictured: How Californians drive.

IMG_2201.jpg

IMG_2215.jpg

Sadly, the Hollywood Tower lights have become obsolete. The whole building will be demolished within the year and be promptly replaced with nothing.

IMG_2213.jpg

Finally, we see multiple Disney characters... ON A BOAT.

IMG_2228.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some time in the next few days to do the 8/22 installment. 'Till then, folks.

disneygirl1

Dan, I been missing your trip reports!!! They can always make me laugh and smile and wish I was in Disney! Can't wait till your next installment!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom