People Waiting at WDW for Harry Potter?!

Thurp

I just wanted to post here real quick in support of those posting good things about HP and what Universal created.

Disney is a big part of my life and I love it. I also hate the HP books and movies. But I did check out the HP land a couple weeks ago and I was blown away by what Universal had accomplished.

Credit where credit is due, even if it's Disney's competitor.

As for the ride, I was impressed by the immersive and fun queue and I was in awe of the ride. I still am. I can't get the ride out my head. I honestly cannot wait to go ride it again and again.

I simply cannot remember the last time I felt like that at Disney. Maybe when ToT opened and I don't think I was half as impressed as I was by the theming and immersion of the whole HP experience. And again, a property I don't care about. I cannot imagine what fans must feel like while visiting.

Universal did an amazing job and we should all be adults and congratulate them because they deserve it.

I hope this kicks TDO's ______ and that we see something else that will impress us the way this has.

RSoxNo1

A 16 hours wait at 11 AM? I don't care how good it is, I'll pass.

Here's the thing, how long will this last? We can all guess, we all have theories, but we'll see what the lines are like in a year or two.

I'm sure Disney knew how big it would be, I'm sure they made a calculated decision. I do wish they had stuck with it, but I can understand why they didn't.

I don't think anyone could have anticipated this level of crowds, but keep in mind the stars of the films were also there. Obviously this level of crowd can't keep up, I'm actually surprised they didn't have to close the park due to capacity on several occasions.

Toy Story Midway Mania and other Disney rides have had over 4 hour wait times at some point, but I don't think any has had people waiting outside the park and stretching pretty far away from the park gates.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage had these problems, but the waits have dropped down significantly. I think when it first opened it was saying 6 hour waits, but we saw waits of 30-45 minutes pretty regularly at the end of May.

From what I understand not everyone can ride the New Harry Potter ride due to their Size. I was listening to a podcast where the host was not able to experience the new ride because he was too big for the pull down harness...he is not Huge. he is 5'10 and weighs about 230...And apparently they were pulling people out of the line they (the cast members) thought were too big to ride and had them sit in a seat, and if they had to force the harness down they did not allow the guest to ride

And so it begins. I'm concerned about this, I'm 5'9'' and about 250, with most of the wait in my upper body. My understanding is that the restriction is more to do with a torso thickness issue (as well as a height restriction). I've been told that because I can fit in the standard seats at The Hulk and Dueling Dragons/Dragon Challenge that I should be fine, but I'm still somewhat nervous about it.

Jim Hill did say that he was turned away on his first attempt but was able to ride the next two times by s__________g it in. I have also heard that a general rule of thumb is that a 48 inch chest or larger could have some difficulty.

Rob, I don't know who you are, nor do I really care. I assume it won't be long before you're promptly banned from this site. While there may be truth to what you say, this is not the appropriate forum for these opinions. This is a forum about theme parks, and while we do have our fair share of slanderous comments on here, anything that can be deemed as a personal attack is unwelcome.

As for the restrictions of the Kuka Arm - if there is indeed a weight restriction, this can easily be rectified while still allowing larger guests to experience the attraction. Modify the shoulder restraints, and only put 3 people on that particular vehicle.

JasonCajun

No ride is worth an 8, 12, or 16 hour wait. Geez.

This is good, though. Perhaps it will cause Disney to get off their duff and answer with something substantial. I love Disney, enough to give them a lot of my money, but let's face it. They've been a bit stale.

Erika

I cleaned this up rather than delete it so you guys could keep the discussion going-- but please, please stop with the rudeness and personal attacks. Thank you.

sweetpee_1993

yeah... nice one, im 30 and have worked in disney parks and other disney divisions on both coasts and at universal in many different capacities.

I probably know a hell of a lot more about this than you do. There are probably only 4 people on here who have more insight than me. Lee, Eddie and a couple others.

It definitely is a "game changer" because it will bring more people to universal property... here imagine this... for a second... you are a Disney fan, but you know that there are people out there who HATE Disney, the company, the image, etc... there are many of those people who LIKE and are fans of Harry Potter... they will come to see Potter and not give two winks about visiting Disney. Lots of families with Teenagers and Adults who will spend a lot of money. This will bring universal a greater share of the market, and with the things lined up for the future of the area, will keep bringing them back.

remember, all it took ws a small stone for david to topple goliath. Disney's attitude of invincibility will put it at risk... I mean, unless your idea of plussing attractions is covering things up with tarps? right ToT and SSE?

I get what you are saying overall. I've considered your perspective as well as others in this thread. Is WWoHP a "game changer" for Universal? Sure. Nobody can argue with the amazing response it's gotten since Friday. I'm happy for Uni to have such success and think what they're doing is great. Is this a "game changer" for WDW? I kinda doubt it sorta like others are saying. The anti-Disney folks who wouldn't previously drop a dime on their property still won't. That doesn't change Disney's bottom line. WWoHP isn't so big that it'll take a whole day just for that or add so much time on Universal's property that it'll take that much away from WDW. People who previously loved Disney & what it stood for still will and will go there. People who vacationed at WDW & went over to UO still will with excitement for what's new. WDW guests who previously wouldn't leave the property for a day to go to UO might change their mind because they want to see the WWoHP but that's only gonna take a day. Last I checked the difference between a 5-day MYW ticket & a 6-day MYW ticket was maybe $10. It's not gonna break the mouse. Bottom line is although this is a major boost for UO, I don't think it'll take away from WDW. WDW fans will still be going there.

Those who say Disney needs to step up or can't create anything even fairly comparable to WWoHP aren't considering what's going on out at DL. No, it's not Orlando. Granted. But Imagineering IS creating an entirely new themed "land" (not re-themed) with all new attractions and experiences from scratch based upon a very popular movie of fairly recent relevance: Carsland. Honestly, although I praise the "cutting-edgeness" of what Universal did, I just don't see how comparing Universal (overall) to Disney (overall) is really fair particularly after the addition of a single "land" in a single park. It's just not warranted. It's apples to oranges and not fair to either side. It's possible to appreciate the good in both, enjoy each for what they are, and not feel the need to compare. Just sayin'.... :animwink:

WV_Jayola

I just like the fact that all of these people had to make there way through a whole LAND of Walt Disney owned properties to get to their destination! The big snarling Wolverine was like a beacon in the night!

jeff.

Rush2112

I don't usually post but had to post on this one. I've been the WWOHP many of times before the official opening of the park itself. I've done everything there, ridden every ride, tried every item. It's a great land, small unforntuantly but great none the less.

It baffles me honestly the argument that universal is so much worse than Disney, it's two completely seperate entities people, nothing more. Disney didn't want HP for there reasons. I'm sure it had something to do with J.K. Rowlings wanting to be able to give the same expierence she gave the many millions of readers, but I'm also sure that it also has something to do with Disney's standards.

To be honest I'm glad Disney didn't buy it because in the end that's not what Disney is about, there about originality and using there own product. I'm baffeled to this day about why Disney would break there rule and buy Marvel. Is Marvel a good product to have, yes it is but it makes no sense that Disney would be all about this. Pixar is a different beast because in sense that's where the company started for the most part.

It makes sense to me that HP would be at universal because if you look at there product, it's all about bringing the excitement of actually being able to ride the movie. Disney is about being able to expierence there own product, not somebody elses, that's why Marvel is a bad Idea.

And come on guys Harry potter is so influential in what it's given to the world of entertainment, that it can be put in the lexicon of some of the greatest characters in history of the literature or any sort of entertainment. Don't deny it can't, because that would be foolish.

Now on the subject of this grand opening, don't even start to think Disney hasn't had this sort of problem. Look at Animal Kingdom for instance, the very first day that it opened it was to a point where they closed down the park. It happens with every big influential property, it happened I'm sure when Universal opened, It happened when all of Disney parks opened and I'm sure it will happen in the future with other things. We all know it will slow down because that is just the nature of excitement to be the first. Don't worry in the end Disney and Universal will still be well Disney and Universal. They'll still have there ups and downs and excitements and failures.

Now one more thing, I wrote my opinions in the think tank session that Universal was doing to gauge the new HP area and I wrote that it needed to be expanded because it is small, it's one thing to be authentic and one thing to be able to fit the size of crowds. It's a situation that i've been hearing will be addressed with hopefully the removal of Lost continent and I'm sure it will be fixed. To that extent the ride is fantastic and will be a staple for the future to come.

Oh and the people that write on here about how stupid tourist can really get when visiting is hilarious, because it is so true.

Anyways just my opinion.

Sorry if I misspelled something.

Rush2112

I can see it right now, Disney calls up Universal says yeah we've decided that we want you to call it Disney Marvel Island now. :ROFLOL:

wdwpro

The comment was made that Disney has never had lines like this. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that Disney gets lines like this every year on New Year's Eve. Without getting into the specifics of attendance, Epcot basically looks like those Harry Potter lines, only the WHOLE walkway is full of people waiting all day... for fireworks. It also has the side benefit of giving pretty much every attraction in the park at least a two hour wait. :lol: I can imagine Magic Kingdom on NYE is probably pretty much the same.

Either way, this can only mean good things, both for Potter fans and for Disney fans.

maryszhi

in twenty years disney will still be kicking itself. I think it needs a new adventure park. hey maybe they could do a twilight saga one resembling forks lol :) disney if ur reading this it could save ur toosh. I am predicting this will enhance universal orlando island of adventure right below magic kingdom florida and california .....

WDW_Jon

What are the crowds like elsewhere in Universal now it's open???

We will be going for a couple of days mid July (although staying in Disney)

HP doesn't really interest me one bit, but we are obviously wanting to do all the other atractions whilst there, do we think they will be quieter as a result or have longer wait times??? :shrug:

I hope it doesn't slow you down too much if you are just trying to get around all the other stuff........

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
That's great... Extra Magic Hours... Disney been there.. Disney done that.. Still doesn't allow for Express Pass on HPatFJ...

So because something is a decent idea Universal shouldn't do it because Disney has done it?

As for extra magic hours 3 hotels worth of guests. I'm sure you can do the basic calculations. Or maybe not as you do come across as a bit of a stroker.

Sparkles

I don't think there was EVER an option of Disney doing this as the rights to theme park rides and the like would have been in the movie contracts from the beginning. I think that W Bros would be more likely to go with Universal than Disney?
Did Universal have anything to do with the movies? I maybe wrong but I thought they had a hand in somewhere.....

I do think its better suited to Universal. As much of a Disney freak that I am....

I'm heading over later in the year and I don't think that TWWOHP is tempting me to IOA in fact dreading that there will be thousands still flocking there, it is actually putting me off going there at all.

:wave:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I cleaned this up rather than delete it so you guys could keep the discussion going-- but please, please stop with the rudeness and personal attacks. Thank you.
Thank you... :wave:

in twenty years disney will still be kicking itself. I think it needs a new adventure park. hey maybe they could do a twilight saga one resembling forks lol :) disney if ur reading this it could save ur toosh. I am predicting this will enhance universal orlando island of adventure right below magic kingdom florida and california .....
I have always been so against that idea for property Disney saying that it "isnt their brand" and they need ot leave that to IoA and US, but the more I think about it, Im not sure it wouldnt be a bad thing.

devoy1701

The line wrapped around all of IOA, and out to citywalk down past NBA City... it was a 4-5 hour wait just to enter the park.

This was on the bridge to enter IOA in the mid morning hours
scaled.php

35469_548013863841_18003711_32178673_4526763_n.jpg

thats the line ... in Marvel Super Hero Island....

54407903.jpg

a shot of the line extending down past UO and toward Citywalk.

54407873.jpg

54408201.jpg

54408252.jpg

And you doubt for a minute that disney isnt wishing those people were in a line for their attraction generating news?

These people are idiots.

ddbowdoin

Universal certainly landed a nice deal there with HP... but in the long run I don't see this as being anywhere near a classic, hence why I am glad Disney did not get the deal. Sure, it's a craze now but the whole book series is NOT a classic series. The movies have no real directing quality and they are all about effects. I just don't see how in 20 years people will still be excited about the HP aspect of Universal. This is a micro, short term thrill... thats the way I see it.

Personally, I'd like to see an expansion of Pixar and Disney attractions... at what park, doesnt matter to me. But I'd like to see the Prince Caspian (maybe the WORST attraction, ever) and the Little Mermaid show be merged into that small Pixar area at DHS and have some new Pixar themed rides.

Evil Genius

These people are idiots.

Yes...yes they are.

Let's face it, the ONLY thing right now that could generate this sort of hype would be the Potter franchise. Simply because it is new...(relatively so) and the hype machine behind this development has been unreal!

That being said, I stand by my statement that this level of visitation and enthusiasm will not last past a year or more. The rest of Universal and its resorts aren't enough to sustain year after year interest and it isn't a 'destination' resort/vacation spot.

That's what sets WDW apart. It may not have all the newest, innovative attractions at the moment...but WDW is a world reknown vacation destination that has so much going for it overall it doesn't NEED this sort of attraction.

You can stay at WDW for weeks on end and still not experience everything the resort has to offer...that's what sets it apart from Universal and always will.

It's great Potter is going to be a short term boon for Universal, but with the crowd issues they're already having...the popularity may backfire on them.

Just a thought...and I'm curious if all those folks in line for WWoHP are hanging around for the rest of Universal well? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom