People Waiting at WDW for Harry Potter?!

RSoxNo1

Disney's plan for this was a boutique park. It was the only way in their mind to make it work under Rowling's demands. Even then they didn't see it as realistic.

Universal should thank Disney for the "Theme Parks 101" lessons they gave Rowling, because I imagine her demands had to have been compromised in some capacity.

OFTeric

Disney's plan for this was a boutique park. It was the only way in their mind to make it work under Rowling's demands. Even then they didn't see it as realistic.

Universal should thank Disney for the "Theme Parks 101" lessons they gave Rowling, because I imagine her demands had to have been compromised in some capacity.

I think I can say this now without getting myself into trouble...

OK so JK Rowling's choice of UO was much more than just pitches, and what not.

Before UO landed the deal a few people who represented JK went through the Universal Team Member training (their version of traditions), and got the whole employee experience.

Their job was to write up a review of UO's employee experience, quality of training etc.

UO has put A LOT of work into training their employees, giving their attraction Team Members the ability to put on a good show, and work with their themes.

Let's face it, Traditions isn't 3 days anymore.

SoupBone

I'm going to get alot of flack for this, but you know what...I was somewhat dissappointed with WWOHP.

I went last week, rode the rides, went in the shops, tried the liquid icing drink they call "butterbeer" and really didn't feel the magic. I got in the park somewhat early (a half an hour after opening), and it seemed as if the whole park was navigating to this area, but the lines weren't all that bad. Granted this was the first time waiting in line to get into a shop, but I only waited 60 minutes to get on FJ, and the wait time maxed out at 90 minutes during the day. The shops are TINY...and while I know J.K. wanted to keep the realism close to what those in hogwarts would experience, it's cramped and inaccessible to those of us in the real world. The villiage itself is beautiful, I'll give Universal that, but there are things they could've done to help (re-paint the tracks on Dueling Dragons for Pete's sake!!).

Which brings me to FJ. While I liked some elements of it, others I really didn't care for. It was like Spiderman on Steroids, with a poorer quality video section. Is it the best ride ever made? It's pretty cool, but I can't say it's my favorite or the best ever made. I think I actually was more impressed with the Mummy ride at Universal the first time I rode it. The queue line was something I was looking forward to, yet because it was so overhyped I found myself let down. It was pretty cool, but they didn't even paint the back section of the ride above the green house. It looks like the back of Hogwarts is a warehouse!! (seeing the cowboy walk through TL) The queue itself just really seemed to be a walkthrough rather than a story...There is no management of queue traffic to tell a story, you just pick up snippets as you roll by.

Two words universal....Haunted Mansion.
That's a queue line that tells a story.

Anyway...I did have a pretty descent time at IOA and Universal. (The simpsons ride is one of my new fav's). And WWOHP is worth a look see, but the only one that will hurt disney, is disney...which is a whole other post.

I'll add to what you said. I told this to my buddies while we were there this past week. Universal did a good job with Harry potter but not a great or Disney of Old job. When waiting in the HP ride queue the bricks just stop 3/4 of the way up the building revealing a huge white facade that looks like just a regular modern building shell.

You can also see a huge portion of the backstage areas from the line. Disney of Old and possibly current Disney would never allow that. The whole point is for total immersion and they lost me several times with stuff like this.

Seriously they could make the bricks go all the way up the building? :ROFLOL:

RobGraves

I think I can say this now without getting myself into trouble...

OK so JK Rowling's choice of UO was much more than just pitches, and what not.

Before UO landed the deal a few people who represented JK went through the Universal Team Member training (their version of traditions), and got the whole employee experience.

Their job was to write up a review of UO's employee experience, quality of training etc.

UO has put A LOT of work into training their employees, giving their attraction Team Members the ability to put on a good show, and work with their themes.

Let's face it, Traditions isn't 3 days anymore.

Exactly, they do a much better job than disney now days

dandaman

What Universal's Team Member training might look like.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqMV90pnsZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqMV90pnsZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

RobGraves

lol. Their "Traditions" shows a video of their executives ripping apart a mickey mouse plush.

Napoleon Complex, anyone?

just like making stuff up eh?

and no.. they do a much better job, and still make a few days of it. unlike disney now days... one of my CM friends was told nothing about her job at studios before being placed on stage. disney training has gone down the drain.

RobGraves

also... since both of the last two times i did disney traditions they made jokes about "global studios". What does that say about them?

OFTeric

lol. Their "Traditions" shows a video of their executives ripping apart a mickey mouse plush.

Napoleon Complex, anyone?

I think you have been lied to or a joke played on you.

I know a lot of the senior management at UO, and have been through their training program. And EVERYONE in Senior Management say the same thing, "we aren't in competition with Disney, we compliment them, and we cater to a demographic and group of people that they do not"

That is the consistent tone from the top down.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What Universal's Team Member training might look like.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqMV90pnsZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tqMV90pnsZ4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Thanks for that Dan. :wave:

Frank Stallone

I think you have been lied to or a joke played on you.

I know a lot of the senior management at UO, and have been through their training program. And EVERYONE in Senior Management say the same thing, "we aren't in competition with Disney, we compliment them, and we cater to a demographic and group of people that they do not"

That is the consistent tone from the top down.

This was in the late 90's when IoA was ready to open, so I presume they've added to their 1.1 billion dollar debt and updated their training videos.

Although the senior management is correct in saying that they don't cater to the same demographic. "...we cater to a demographic and group of people they do not"=UK guests that are here for 3 weeks and have plenty of time to kill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom