People Get Ahold Of Your Children!

barnum42

civileng68 – I’m with you on this one. Just because someone is a child, does not give it carte blanche to do what it wants regardless of the impact on other people. That’s right - I don’t like children. However there are a number of people I do like that happen to be children and strangely enough they all seem to have good parents.

dixiegirl

i totaly agree with spongescott, it's very different once you have your own children , before you have them you sit back and watch people who do have them, watch them behave badly, watch parents "try " to calm them down and dicipline them then when all else fails raise their voice at them , while your sitting there saying to yourself" not my child " or "if that was my kid" please it's a whole different ballgame honey when you have your own ,believe me. you may think and say your going to be a certain way or your children will be these wonderful obedeient little angels your setting yourself up for a biggggg surprise. yes i agree the mother as its been said should have appologized we all agree on that right?? yes it to bad that there were stained pants invovled but they do make a stain remover called "shout" i believe that its in the detergant isle of your grocery store , maybe you should stock up on it on your next trip!!! yes i have little ones and yes at time they do have their moments but people lets get over it...is this the only thing that is memorable about your vacation?? stained pants?? enjoy the time you two have together being in disney...oh andabout strollers hitting the ankles , sorry if i hit anyone in the past or in the future.. i'm going down in november the first week, and i'm bringing my little ones, ya might not want to go that week, my daughter just loves those micky icecream cones..lol

GoofyFan1

Originally posted by ArielLover
To defend myself pro-actively. I am a parent and have never had a problem with my daughter. She was raised to respect other people. And in reply to a few other threads on here: she has never stared at people as they ate ( I also find it offensive), has never run around in a theatre or restaraunt, or screamed uncontrollably( the few times it happened I took her outside ). And in case you are wondering I have never even spanked her once. Maybe I am lucky and maybe its just how you handle things. FYI she is a senoir in high school..got into every college she applied to, and intends to be an archeologist. She has an active social life and tons of school activities. So I guess I didn't scar her to bad. :lol:

I completely agree with you.

I have two daughters that also behave. Do I have a magical solution? No. I Set expectations and adhere to those expectations. Not everyone does.

I see and hear this everytime I have a parent meeting at school. The parent will ask what I as the teacher can do to help their child behave. I'll ask what they do to help the child and 90% of the time they say they don't do anything because they don't want their child to dislike them.

You are the parent! Be the parent....NOT the friend! Set limits and follow through.

It sounds like you set expectations and your daughter followed those expectations. You didn't scar her. You have helped her become a well rounded, productive citizen.:sohappy:

Tell your daughter I said congratulations on acceptance to college.

boldlyreal

*throws ice cream cones and turkey legs at everyone, while reciting "bad" words*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ROFLMAO HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Whew I'm alrig..........HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:lol:

Disney2002

I think what this all comes down to is bad parents (and I don't mean bad parenting). If you child bumps into someone and covers them in icecream, do something about it. Apologize to the person to whom it happened and offer to help clean up. Don't walk away or claim 'hey! You know kids!'

The_CEO

Originally posted by civileng68
I won't go on too long about this but I'm getting sick of the kids who have absolutely no discipline whatsoever.

I love children and understand that kids will be kids but, something that happened to me has me furious!

I had a nice pair of pants on one night when going to the MK to eat dinner for our anniversary. A great little kid comes along with a nice chocolate ice cream in hand an literally gets it all over my khaki colored pants. Why? well because he was running circles around his mom with his little brother and she just ignored them and Whack, I get the brunt of it.

Know what's worse? The mom (AFTER THE KID HIT ME) says "get over here" to her kid and then keeps walking. Not one appology to me as I'm standing there with a napkin on stained pants. Not only that, she looks at me like I've annoyed her. Sheez! I see people like that all the time. They don't look where they are going, or stop dead in the middle of moving traffic and then act like you are annoying them, no appology at all.

I'm sick of it! People, if you don't know how to control your children, don't go. Also, stop using the freaking strollers as an excuse to get through crowds, my wife has a scraped ankle from that crap.

If I had kids like some of these parents out in that park, I'd shoot myself for not raising them better!

Another thing that you missed, are old people who can't drive their scooters. They tend to think we have to yield to them and move out of the way for their little buggies. Parents with strollers... Another big watch out... I tend to get irritated to quickly. I need patient pills.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
It ain't the kids...

Too many responders have missed the real issue being raised by civileng68...it was stated by Disney 2002.

This is nothing about the children and their behavior or control. No complaint was made of the child's mistake.

Its the rude, self-centered adults (that do raise like children)
And you don't have to have kids to know that!

cherrynegra

I personally think this is a case of not enough FITA. I know that FITA is a very controversial parenting technique, but I got plenty of FITA when I was growing up and I actully think it did me a world of good.

I work in the criminal courts both juvenile and for adults, and let me tell you something, I see the effects of a lack of FITA every day. I'm sick of parents showing up and thinking their gangbanger son or dope dealing daughter is innocent when all evidence points to the contrary. "Oh, no. Not my poor innocent child. He'd never hurt a fly." Que security video showing "innocent child" holding gun to clerk's head. Even with damning evidence they're still in denial......hmmm....sounds like Disney's board.

In short, I wish parents would act like parents and start administering some good old fashioned FITA. That's what kids these days need.

By the way, FITA stands for Foot In The A$$.

Senderella

Originally posted by cherrynegra
I personally think this is a case of not enough FITA. I know that FITA is a very controversial parenting technique, but I got plenty of FITA when I was growing up and I actully think it did me a world of good.

Definately Cherry. Definately.

We went to Disney when I was a kid. I didn't dare act like a fool otherwise we would've been BACK at the hotel in a heartbeat. I knew better than to do things that weren't acceptable because I knew Mom & Dad meant business. I was excited & besides myself & probably hopping up & down like a dummy, but I didn't act like a turd. Same goes for my husband when he went.

It's all a matter of the parents. We're not parents yet, but... well we do take on parental duties every so often. My good friend from when we were kids sends her 4 yr old to stay with us once a year LOL because we *demand* she come to visit!! I've been with Hannah from the time she was born. She knows what goes & what doesn't fly with us. Her mom's done a great job raising her. She's a typical kid & tries to test the boundaries but she never crosses tht line. She's like a niece to us.

A lot of our friends have kids. I see that sort of behavior all the time. It typically starts at home. Example: B has a 4 yr old D. D is rotten because B never disciplines him. He will throw sand or hit with toys or what have you. Flat out does the opposite of what you say. B just does the "no baby" or puts the item (like a tonka toy) in time out. Not the kid. D has no rules basically what so ever. D would be the kind of kid that everyone's talking about. B is the type of parent that started this thread. Her little angel can do no wrong and how dare you think he did. Well, like Cherry said, D is gonna grow up & have some problems.

I've found a lot of the parents (I'm on a few parenting/trying to conceive message boards) who take on this form of parenting are people my age who are resentful of their own upbringing because they were made to behave and got punished if they didnt. ***I don't want to stir the pot here, but this is something I feel really strongly about.*** The parents are doing the child a disservice by allowing them to rule the roost and trying to be the friend first then a parent second. From the sound of the posts, all of the parents here have done a good job w/ their children. It's tough raising kids especially in a day & age where a pop on the rear for ... I can't think of an example so insert one here... will bring you raised eyebrows & CPS down hard on your butt.

Well behaved kids begin in the home. If you act like a parent and have respect for other people/their property and try to teach your kids how to behave & have respect for others/their property, then you're doing a dang good job in my book. :sohappy: to you.

The Mom

Premium Member
The mother owed the OP an apology...period.

Parents should discipline their children. Children should be taught to behave.

That being said, there have been instances when NOTHING I did could make my son conform to another's idea of a "well-behaved" child! I remember one plane trip when my son was around 5 or 6, and the person in front of him insisted on having his seat all the way back, which then put it right over my son's toes. (Little children can't bend their knees in the seat.) Any time my son shifted his position, his toes bumped the back of the man's seat, which resulted in a glare at me. He finally chastised me for not controlling my son. My son then had to spend the rest of the flight sitting cross-legged! I couldn't switch seats, as the man's wife also had her seat down, and was already giving ME glares for daring to cross or uncross MY legs!

BTW, I don't/didn't allow my children to eat chocolate ice cream (or any ice cream cones) in public; I don't want it on MY clothing, or their's. ;) I would allow them a small cup with spoon, however.

symbasys

I think what it all boils down to is that people don't have any respect for other people any more. How is a parent going to teach their child to be respectful of others if they themselves don't have respect? It seems like the attitude is "I have a right to be here and do whatever I want, and to heck with everyone else."

When I was growing up my mother never had to scream at me or beat me in order to get me to behave. Whenever we went out anywhere, if I started to misbehave she would look me squarely in the face and tell me that unless I settled down, we would leave immediately and go back home. If I continued to act up, true to her word we'd be in the car on the way home. That only had to happen a couple of times before I realized that she meant business. She didn't have to beat the crap out of me to get me to behave. She taught me to respect others and to be courteous to them. It doesn't seem like that is being taught these days.

My last experience like this in the parks happened a few weeks ago as we were waiting for Fantasmic to start. There was a couple sitting in the row behind us, and their son was getting a little antsy. He ended up kicking me right in the back. The parents made him apologize to me, and for that I give them a lot of credit. A lot of people would not have done that.

Disney Hog

Which would Civileng68 want: Some chocolate icecream on his pants or a whole dip of icecream on his back while making out on the beach like in that stupid Universal commercial? I have yet to figure out the marketing angle to that commercial. Come to Universal and let kids drop icecream on your back? Who knows.

I agree with what most people are saying, kids will be kids, but only to the extent their parents let them. Parents should not have total control over their kids (actually requires rope, duct tape and hand cuffs), but should have some control and should give behavior direction. I'm sure my kids have done things in the past that have annoyed many people, but usually I'm appologizing and trying to correct the wrong.

My wife griped at me the other day for picking up the crackers my 1 year-old son threw on the restaurant floor. I don't like my children to be a bother to anyone else. It was our desicion to have children not the guy who's celebrating his anniversary with nice pants on. I would have apologized and at least helped him clean up. I think a brief apology and a small effort from this mother would have turned his thoughts from rotten child and neglegent parent to that of it was just a mistake. :animwink:

bigfatdonna

I simply must put my two cents in on this thread.

From the very beginning, we all realized that my son would be a hard one to manage. If you look up the term "strong-willed child" I'm quite sure you'd see a picture of my son. I realize that all children are born with their own "wills" and it is our job to mold them but you cannot understand the intensity of my son's will until you witnessed it first hand. My own mother, who raised three very respectful, considerate children used to say to me, " I just don't understand it! I've never seen a kid quite like this before." A friend that ran a daycare also made the same exact comment. It wasn't that he was mean it's just that he could not stand someone controlling him in any way and virtually no form of discipline worked (believed me I'd tried it all). Even last resort spankings (on the bottom) would sometimes be met with a "that didn't hurt" retort (now this being said after he'd caught his breath from screaming in "pain") and would be repeated, sometimes several times knowing that I was not going to give up. Now, did we throw our hands up and let him take over, simply because we were completely mentally and physically exhausted?! Nope. We have kept at it. There have been many, many nights that I would go to bed in tears. And to think that before I had him I was always the onlooker reciting the famous "if
that was my kid...." line. Well, he is now almost 6 and apart from the occasional bad weeks, he is the most loving, considerate, tender-hearted little person. He behaves well in school and I've been told by his teachers that he is the class "prayer boy" (when another child is in trouble or upset, he immediately says a little prayer for them).

Parenting a child in todays society is confusing and difficult. We are thrown so many different parenting techniques and ideals that it's mind boggling. When my mother and father raised me there was basically one form of parenting and it was never questioned. Sheesh, you get dirty looks if you spank your kids and you get dirty looks if you don't.

For those of you that have raised children that did not give you that much trouble I'm happy for you. But think about this. Just as we have different personalities so do children. I can't count the times someone has told me "I have 2 (or more) children. The first one was a breeze to train and discipline the second one is a whole different story." Or "if I had my second child first I would never have had another one!".

It wasn't the ice-cream colliding with your khakis that was the shame. It's the parent's reaction that was the shame. Don't expect kids to be perfect. Expcect them to make mistakes and get carried away at times. Little kids that act like perfect little adults sometimes scare/sadden me. However, if you have warned them about something and the act continues, that is defiance and warrants immediate attention. What tells the whole story is the way the parent reacts. I definitely would have made my son apologize to you immediately as would have I (probably annoyingly TOO much). I then would have taken the time to explain to him, "You see, this is WHY you do not run with ice-cream cones."

MouseMadness

Originally posted by garyhoov
Getting ice-cream on your pants will be unpleasant until it dries. Getting pi$$ed off about it will ruin your day.

AH! You just said what I have been trying to figure out how to say for 3 days. :lol: All neatly contained in 2 sentences. :king:

I'm one of those types who cleans not only the floor up when we are at a restaurant, but the table, too. :lol: The waiter/waitress always looks at me like :veryconfu *shrugs* hehe

ArielLover

Originally posted by bigfatdonna
I simply must put my two cents in on this thread.

From the very beginning, we all realized that my son would be a hard one to manage. If you look up the term "strong-willed child" I'm quite sure you'd see a picture of my son. I realize that all children are born with their own "wills" and it is our job to mold them but you cannot understand the intensity of my son's will until you witnessed it first hand. My own mother, who raised three very respectful, considerate children used to say to me, " I just don't understand it! I've never seen a kid quite like this before." A friend that ran a daycare also made the same exact comment. It wasn't that he was mean it's just that he could not stand someone controlling him in any way and virtually no form of discipline worked (believed me I'd tried it all). Even last resort spankings (on the bottom) would sometimes be met with a "that didn't hurt" retort (now this being said after he'd caught his breath from screaming in "pain") and would be repeated, sometimes several times knowing that I was not going to give up. Now, did we throw our hands up and let him take over, simply because we were completely mentally and physically exhausted?! Nope. We have kept at it. There have been many, many nights that I would go to bed in tears. And to think that before I had him I was always the onlooker reciting the famous "if
that was my kid...." line. Well, he is now almost 6 and apart from the occasional bad weeks, he is the most loving, considerate, tender-hearted little person. He behaves well in school and I've been told by his teachers that he is the class "prayer boy" (when another child is in trouble or upset, he immediately says a little prayer for them).

Parenting a child in todays society is confusing and difficult. We are thrown so many different parenting techniques and ideals that it's mind boggling. When my mother and father raised me there was basically one form of parenting and it was never questioned. Sheesh, you get dirty looks if you spank your kids and you get dirty looks if you don't.

For those of you that have raised children that did not give you that much trouble I'm happy for you. But think about this. Just as we have different personalities so do children. I can't count the times someone has told me "I have 2 (or more) children. The first one was a breeze to train and discipline the second one is a whole different story." Or "if I had my second child first I would never have had another one!".

It wasn't the ice-cream colliding with your khakis that was the shame. It's the parent's reaction that was the shame. Don't expect kids to be perfect. Expcect them to make mistakes and get carried away at times. Little kids that act like perfect little adults sometimes scare/sadden me. However, if you have warned them about something and the act continues, that is defiance and warrants immediate attention. What tell's the whole story is the way the parent reacts. I definitely would have made my son apologize to you immediately as would have I (probably annoyingly TOO much). I then would have taken the time to explain to him, "You see, this is WHY you do not run with ice-cream cones."

:sohappy: :sohappy: WELL SAID:sohappy: :sohappy:

disneyfreak7036

These kids you see acting in such a way are a direct reflection of the way their parents act. Their lack of self responsibility and disipline are accepted far to often in today's society. The mother probably blames you or the ice cream for the stain on your pants, where as I would have apoogized, offered to replaced the pants by providing cash, and disiplined my child the way I saw fit. As to the strollers, I agree that a stroller is necessary for small kids, and I have hit people on their heels, but this was caused when someone decides to stop abruptly right in the middle of a congested walkway. Normal my eyes are focused at the front of the stroller to prevent this, but sometimes it happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom