Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

marymarypoppins

Yup. I've been snapped out of enjoying a lovely day by a catcall or some guy saying something sleazy enough times in my lifetime that no small hole in a bathroom wall will ever look innocent to me...especially when light can be seen through said hole.
We agree on something!!! Also with the amount of trash Disney has been hiring because obviously they don't back ground check their employees this is not surprising and probably is exactly what it looks like. .

peter11435

We agree on something!!! Also with the amount of trash Disney has been hiring because obviously they don't back ground check their employees this is not surprising and probably is exactly what it looks like. .
Disney does background checks. Background checks only determine if someone has previously been accused of committing a crime. They do nothing to show if someone will commit a crime.

ImperfectPixie

Well biometric scan but yeah, they know who is working for them. Pretty standard screening for large customer facing business these days. Due diligence and all
Yup. Most companies do a background check...schools do too (and they do it annually for parents who want to volunteer - they've run mine probably 10 times).

ImperfectPixie

Hopefully all those third party staff ( ie Epcot , Disney Springs etc ) are doing the same thing.
Where those workers are on Disney property, it's likely that Disney requires background checks of those employees, too. (Amazon requires background checks for the employees of third party delivery companies that work out of Amazon's warehouses.)

Pepper's Ghost

I love how some folks in this thread tried to make others feel stupid for thinking this is a peephole. The fact that it's being dismissed by some is ridiculous. Here are the facts: there's a sizeable hole above a toilet in the ladies room that's large enough to see movement on the other side of the wall, and it hasn't been fixed in weeks at least. You don't have to argue whether the hole was made intentionally to know that it can still be used as a peephole with various types of cameras and likely the naked eye. It didn't have to have an intentional creation to turn into a peephole. My guess is that many holes are discovered in conspicuous places that just seem to be the perfect place to get one's perv on.

That said, @lazyboy97o is right on target. Even if tile cracked and fell away due to the close grout line, there's still board behind it. Even if the tile broke and fell off and the board behind the tile got wet as some suggested, wet board doesn't just fall away without help. Someone would've needed to assist the removal of material at that spot. The first hole in the wall for bolts is located at least a couple of inches below where the "peephole" is, so it wasn't an inadvertent hole in the wall due to the sinking of the height of the toilet. The wall is solid behind a wall mounted toilet with the exception of the holes for the bolts that hold it to the wall, the hole for water supply, and the hole for drainage. There isn't a toilet shaped hole in the wall behind the fixture so if it sinks it exposes a giant hole in the wall.

My personal opinion is that it may have started as disrepair with a cracked tile, but I think someone may have decided to take advantage rather than repair and created the hole where the tile broke away. I've ripped Disney left and right on these boards recently, but the creation of this situation isn't Disney's fault. It's an issue with humanity in general. Disney's fault in this situation is that maintenance and quality checks are so off the radar that these things can happen and they don't get noticed for weeks if at all.

Pepper's Ghost

Many maintenance organizations require this. They also track the number of self reported work orders vs customer reported and try to catch stuff before someone else has to report it.
I worked for a RE management firm for years. This is spot on! Most RE management firms have some kind of requirement or incentive program to reduce customer reported WOs. I think Disney has basically gone to a break/fix mode where nearly nothing is maintained properly and only addressed on a needed basis.
Folks are arguing that it’s not an intentional peep hole that it is damage or a maintenance issue.
It doesn’t matter, it’s a peephole once a person uses it as a peephole.
bingo_sopranos.gif

LittleBuford

I love how some folks in this thread tried to make others feel stupid for thinking this is a peephole. The fact that it's being dismissed by some is ridiculous. Here are the facts: there's a sizeable hole above a toilet in the ladies room that's large enough to see movement on the other side of the wall, and it hasn't been fixed in weeks at least. You don't have to argue whether the hole was made intentionally to know that it can still be used as a peephole with various types of cameras and likely the naked eye. It didn't have to have an intentional creation to turn into a peephole. My guess is that many holes are discovered in conspicuous places that just seem to be the perfect place to get one's perv on.

That said, @lazyboy97o is right on target. Even if tile cracked and fell away due to the close grout line, there's still board behind it. Even if the tile broke and fell off and the board behind the tile got wet as some suggested, wet board doesn't just fall away without help. Someone would've needed to assist the removal of material at that spot. The first hole in the wall for bolts is located at least a couple of inches below where the "peephole" is, so it wasn't an inadvertent hole in the wall due to the sinking of the height of the toilet. The wall is solid behind a wall mounted toilet with the exception of the holes for the bolts that hold it to the wall, the hole for water supply, and the hole for drainage. There isn't a toilet shaped hole in the wall behind the fixture so if it sinks it exposes a giant hole in the wall.

My personal opinion is that it may have started as disrepair with a cracked tile, but I think someone may have decided to take advantage rather than repair and created the hole where the tile broke away. I've ripped Disney left and right on these boards recently, but the creation of this situation isn't Disney's fault. It's an issue with humanity in general. Disney's fault in this situation is that maintenance and quality checks are so off the radar that these things can happen and they don't get noticed for weeks if at all.
I'm not sure if I'm one of the people you're referring to in your first sentence, but it certainly wasn't (and isn't) my intention to question anyone's intelligence. Nor do I deny that a hole that came about through disrepair could end up being used as a peephole. However, I do not see any practical way that this particular hole could function as a peephole given its location. Leaving aside the fact that it faces up and is at the very back of the toilet, it seems to be hovering over the Epcot utilidor (that's my understanding based on the video, though I may well be wrong).

None of this means that the hole's existence is in any way acceptable. It should have been repaired the moment anyone noticed it.

lazyboy97o

I'm not sure if I'm one of the people you're referring to in your first sentence, but it certainly wasn't (and isn't) my intention to question anyone's intelligence. Nor do I deny that a hole that came about through disrepair could end up being used as a peephole. However, I do not see any practical way that this particular hole could function as a peephole given its location. Leaving aside the fact that it faces up and is at the very back of the toilet, it seems to be hovering over the Epcot utilidor (that's my understanding based on the video, though I may well be wrong).

None of this means that the hole's existence is in any way acceptable. It should have been repaired the moment anyone noticed it.
The hole is through about 1 1/4” of material. It isn’t a tunnel pointed in a specific direction.

A plumbing chase is not open to below. You need a solid floor to anchor the carrier that holds the toilet.

LittleBuford

The hole is through about 1 1/4” of material. It isn’t a tunnel pointed in a specific direction.

A plumbing chase is not open to below. You need a solid floor to anchor the carrier that holds the toilet.
We’re all just guessing as to whether this hole can be used for peeping. I personally don’t think it can be. But again, that doesn’t excuse its presence.

GimpYancIent

If there is a peeper, the question now is will said peeper return to the scene of the crime or is now spooked away? Will said peeper strike somewhere else?

Pepper's Ghost

Honestly, I don't recall who it was, nor do I care to look back. I don't see the value in judging anyone on these boards, nor do I hold grudges. If someone did it and it wasn't their intent, no prob in my eyes. Just not cool to do it is all.
We’re all just guessing as to whether this hole can be used for peeping. I personally don’t think it can be. But again, that doesn’t excuse its presence.
I think some of us are overestimating on how difficult it is to see through a hole in the wall, sincerely. That said, ever seen one of these? I'm not being sarcastic, and definitely not making suggestions. I'm just pointing out that snake cameras are available for cell phones for like $20 and could easily invade someone's privacy if the person doing it on the other side of the wall was creepy enough...

Snake camera.jpg

Pepper's Ghost

Sorry, forgot to comment on this. I'm assuming whatever is on the other side of the wall is most likely on the same level of the bathroom floor, likely a utility closet. I don't know why they'd build a building with bathroom on the ground level, but the utility closet on the other side of the wall being two stories with equipment suspended in the air. Doesn't make sense. Also, like @lazyboy97o said, the carrier would need to be anchored to the floor.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My argument is that a hole in that location would not just be shoddy installation but incredibly shoddy installation accepted and approved by multiple parties. Making a hole after installation requires an electric drill.

Or... really crappy installation... that someone accepted a substandard 'fix' for... that failed because it wasn't done right.

It's not far-fetched to imagine a company don't crap work also has people that would approve and accept substandard fixes. Fixes that could be applied before customer acceptance... combined with a customer who is too apathetic for their own good and doesn't actually oversee the job.

It's a 40+ year old building... how many retrofits and have been made in that space that probably didn't include complete material replacement? Retrofit a fixture onto an existing wall..
Bob: "oh look this one's finish surface is 1" shorter than the last one.. "
Bill: "close enough.. the gap will be covered by the finish tile..." or "screw it
Joe: "man, look at this crappy plumbing job... now look at this hack I gotta do to cover that.."
Sam on walk-through: "do all the fixtures work? good enough for me..."

Standards only work if the people apply them and don't accept substandard stuff. It's not like hidden hacks are anything new in the industry.

The caulk job in that thing is a mess anyway. Way too big and already separating from the toilet and not just in that one spot. Clearly its trying to cover up some other inferior job behind it. If it was tilework or wallboard that wasn't replaced fully or a toilet not mounted well vs the finish surface. Looks hacky across the board.

No one would go back through and add finish and crap caulk to make their peephole look like authentic construction slop :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom