Peephole in Epcot bathroom?

LittleBuford

Sorry, forgot to comment on this. I'm assuming whatever is on the other side of the wall is most likely on the same level of the bathroom floor, likely a utility closet. I don't know why they'd build a building with bathroom on the ground level, but the utility closet on the other side of the wall being two stories with equipment suspended in the air. Doesn't make sense. Also, like @lazyboy97o said, the carrier would need to be anchored to the floor.
If you watch her follow-up video, it really does seem as if the hole is looking down over something:

https://v16-web.tiktokcdn-us.com/vi...523d9f853e6397de402eb144375c210f&tk=0&vl=&vr=

Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing.

lazyboy97o

Or... really crappy installation... that someone accepted a substandard 'fix' for... that failed because it wasn't done right.

It's not far-fetched to imagine a company don't crap work also has people that would approve and accept substandard fixes. Fixes that could be applied before customer acceptance... combined with a customer who is too apathetic for their own good and doesn't actually oversee the job.

It's a 40+ year old building... how many retrofits and have been made in that space that probably didn't include complete material replacement? Retrofit a fixture onto an existing wall..
Bob: "oh look this one's finish surface is 1" shorter than the last one.. "
Bill: "close enough.. the gap will be covered by the finish tile..." or "screw it
Joe: "man, look at this crappy plumbing job... now look at this hack I gotta do to cover that.."
Sam on walk-through: "do all the fixtures work? good enough for me..."

Standards only work if the people apply them and don't accept substandard stuff. It's not like hidden hacks are anything new in the industry.

The caulk job in that thing is a mess anyway. Way too big and already separating from the toilet and not just in that one spot. Clearly its trying to cover up some other inferior job behind it. If it was tilework or wallboard that wasn't replaced fully or a toilet not mounted well vs the finish surface. Looks hacky across the board.

No one would go back through and add finish and crap caulk to make their peephole look like authentic construction slop :)
Again, a fix of what? Your hypotheticals sound like the tile being installed after the toilet.

If you watch her follow-up vid, it really does seem as if the hole is looking down over something:

https://v16-web.tiktokcdn-us.com/vi...523d9f853e6397de402eb144375c210f&tk=0&vl=&vr=

Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding what I'm seeing.
What then would be supporting the toilet?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Given all the tile grout failing in the vertical line clearly viewable in the video.. I sure hope that's not a recent refurb... or it just shows how poorly done more of the work was.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again, a fix of what? The scenario describe of tile filling the gap reads like tile being installed after the toilet.
No, the tile can be installed over inferior wallboard work too.. or the tile and fixture could have been damaged in a prior incident and the repair work didn't deal with the wall+tile as it should.

You're talking purely in the clean new construction sense.. or in a proper refurb where all the materials were started fresh. That's not the only possibility here.

Having to replace a toilet fixture in a public venue isn't some rare lightning strike. This could very well have just been shoddy repair work too.

LittleBuford

What then would be supporting the toilet?
I don't know. I agree with you that it seems spatially and structurally illogical, so I suppose I must simply be misreading what the video is showing.

But that doesn't change where I stand on the improbability (to my mind) that such a hole was created as or is being used as a peephole.

lazyboy97o

No, the tile can be installed over inferior wallboard work too.. or the tile and fixture could have been damaged in a prior incident and the repair work didn't deal with the wall+tile as it should.

You're talking purely in the clean new construction sense.. or in a proper refurb where all the materials were started fresh. That's not the only possibility here.

Having to replace a toilet fixture in a public venue isn't some rare lightning strike. This could very well have just been shoddy repair work too.
Repairs sort of require you to see what you are doing, especially in an application that only has 2” of tolerance vertically and horizontally. So even if this was a repair or a redo, why was that hole there to begin with? Just a random hole punched through and ignored so a hole was also punched into the tile in the same spot?

Pepper's Ghost

I don't know if this sheds any light, but according to The Daily Dot, someone responding to the footage on TikTok wrote: “That’s a solid cinder block wall behind there with nothing but a 15” wide pipe chase for maintenance access. I used to clean those bathrooms.”

That doesn't make sense. How can there be a CMU wall behind it? Aside from the needs of the toilet itself for securing it, plumbing, etc., you clearly can see something behind the wall. That's not possible if it's backed by a CMU wall.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Repairs sort of require you to see what you are doing, especially in an application that only has 2” of tolerance vertically and horizontally. So even if this was a repair or a redo, why was that hole there to begin with? Just a random hole punched through and ignored so a hole was also punched into the tile in the same spot?
A wall getting damaged in a public washroom where a toilet is installed is not some super stretch... or crappy work where substrate is just covered by finish work assuming no one will know/see. They could have had to break out tile and replace and screwed up the wall in doing so.. then just figured the toliet fixture would cover the area.

The examples of shotty work are visible all over in just that little area.. and there are multiple failures present. You really think the work was done CORRECTLY and then someone came back and created all these failures and hacks to obscure their peephole's presence and make it blend in better?

some other guy

1649558612912.png
The Most Glorious Place On Earth (tm)

LittleBuford

That doesn't make sense. How can there be a CMU wall behind it? Aside from the needs of the toilet itself for securing it, plumbing, etc., you clearly can see something behind the wall. That's not possible if it's backed by a CMU wall.
I interpreted the comment as meaning that the solid wall was behind the 15” space for maintenance access. But I confess to knowing nothing about how such a space should or can be configured.

Pepper's Ghost

I interpreted the comment as meaning that the solid wall was behind the 15” space for maintenance access. But I confess to knowing nothing about how such a space should or can be configured.
Oh, gotcha. I didn't get that. If the back wall of the space behind the bathroom wall is CMU, I believe that's possible. I'll defer to @lazyboy97o as he seems to know more. I believe commercial grade toilets require about 14" to 18" of space minimum depending on design, what it's backing up to, etc. I don't know if that's the case for the design of that building.

lazyboy97o

Block walls are pretty common. I believe the new Ratatouille restrooms are block.

No, the block would be right behind the fixture. Carrier, wall, fixture. The tile in a block restroom would typically be placed right onto the block.

Pepper's Ghost

Block walls are pretty common. I believe the new Ratatouille restrooms are block.

No, the block would be right behind the fixture. Carrier, wall, fixture. The tile in a block restroom would typically be placed right onto the block.
Thanks for that info. The only bathrooms with block walls I've seen have had floor mounted fixtures. I don't always pay that close attention though. 🤣

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I love how some folks in this thread tried to make others feel stupid for thinking this is a peephole. The fact that it's being dismissed by some is ridiculous. Here are the facts: there's a sizeable hole above a toilet in the ladies room that's large enough to see movement on the other side of the wall...
I don't think you are actually seeing something moving through the hole, I think that is simply caused by the camera movement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom