Passporter vs. Unofficial Guide vs. Birnbaums?

rimousefan84

This may have been posted already but I'm new here so I don't really know how to run a search for past posts. I was wondering which guide you folks usually rely on when planning a disney trip. My fiance and I have previously used Birnbaums but find the information in it to be redundant, and not always up to date. Your posts will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch and I can't wait to hear from you.

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
Add another vote for the Unofficial Guide. And now that I know 08 is out, I will be making a run to Borders in the morning!! :)

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
2 things that make my upcoming trip "real" to me....getting a dozen plastic disposable raincoats from Target for .89 each....and getting the latest UNOFFICAL guide...it is the best and quite funny when they reveal what some people write about the rides. I thought 2008 wasn't coming out til October!! THANKS for the heads up!!!:king:

Upvote 0

janni518

When I checked last week amazon.com had it as a pre=order but then my hubby informed me tonight that he saw it at the airport on the way home from a business trip. Sure enough I went to amazon and was able to order it (for $13.59).

Upvote 0

DISMOM

We loved Unofficial Guide....until we bought our first Passporter. Boy, did we ever become instantly more informed. Love the resorts section where room diagrams are displayed and info concerning every building of every resort is listed. I would recommend Passporter.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Any of those mentioned are useful for planning. Unofficial is best for seasoned Disney visitors, but I don't suggest it for newer visitors. Birnbaum provides basic info that is good for novice planning . If you are a detailed planner, Passporter is your ticket. Of course, that's just my opinion. :eek:

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm gonna break the mold here and go with Birnbaum's. Yes it does tend to play to Disney's strong points, with little or no negativity, but honestly, who wants to read about such when they are planning a Disney vacation. You need to go and see whatever you can see. If you are a seasoned vet, as some of us are) then you don't need a guide anyway. It gives good, accurate information on attractions, dining and lodging. I enjoyed the book, and it made my last vacation(the first of which I was the vacation planner for the family) very easy. Two thumbs up!

I don't find The Unofficial Guide to be all that negative. It lets you know what you need to know. I'm a "seasoned vet" as well, and I always get The Unofficial Guide because they are always adding new information about crowds and crowd patterns, and whatnot. The Birnbaum's book never gets beyond the surface, and their advice ("Try to ride Expedition Everest first thing in the morning.") is pedestrian at best.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Like many others have said, I think the Unofficial Guide definitely has more info. For those who need a trip planning book, I think that one is the way to go.

But for people like me (and most of you) who need the books more for a Disney fix throughout the year than for planning, they both have their strong points. Birnbaum's strong point is pictures. If you're sitting at your desk at work and don't have time to sit there and read, but just want to get your "fix" in pictures, Birnbaum's is the way to go. :lol:

I hear that the 2008 Unofficial Guide is out, but our local Waldenbooks didn't have it as of yesterday. Tonight, we're hoping to drive up to the big town nearby and look at Borders, Barnes & Noble, B Dalton and Waldenbooks and hopefully between those four, one of them will have it. I've never bought a copy of that one yet....I've only checked one out at the library.

I don't think the 2008 Birnbaums is supposed to be out until later next month.

Upvote 0

carolina_yankee

I like both Unofficial Guide and Passporter. They each have their strong points, but they also have a lot of overlap.

I would add to either of these The complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal. It has in-depth background on attractions, lands, park history, and such - and the most color photos of any guidebook out there. It's a little thin on the resort information, just giving the basics, but I think it's fantastic for the parks (and the only guide to really go in-depth on the water parks).

Dirk

Upvote 0

tjkref418

I buy the Unofficial Guide and Passporter every year. I used to buy others, but have found that there really is no need to. These two are the best, IMO. I buy both because they are very different. The Unofficial Guide is like the Disney Bible....it has everything you need to know and then some. I like the Passporter for the park maps and attraction info, and we take the Passporter with us on our trips to WDW because it easy to pack. For me, The Unofficial guide is more like a reference book....kind of hard to read from cover to cover, but great for looking up info. The Passporter is more of an easy read....it is fun to read from cover to cover, and the colored park maps and attraction info are very useful.

Very well said. Each of the books is ecellent, but can be used in very different ways

Upvote 0

Jon_in_NC

I would add to either of these The complete Walt Disney World by Julie and Mike Neal. It has in-depth background on attractions, lands, park history, and such - and the most color photos of any guidebook out there. It's a little thin on the resort information, just giving the basics, but I think it's fantastic for the parks (and the only guide to really go in-depth on the water parks).

Dirk

I second this one. This is a GREAT book on WDW!

Upvote 0

rimousefan84

Original Poster
I like both Unofficial Guide and Passporter. They each have their strong points, but they also have a lot of overlap.

Dirk

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even heard of this one! I'll have to go to the local Barnes and Noble to check it out.

I'm so glad you all responded to the thread, you really gave me some valuable opinions on disney planning, but it looks like I'm just going to have to purchase the Unofficial guide AND Passporters lol

Upvote 0

Amber

6+4+3=2
Premium Member
I went to Borders today, they had the 2007 Unofficial Guide. When I asked, they said the 08 version would not be out until September 16. I knew others had said they have it already, so I went to Barnes & Noble to see if they had it, and they did. Not really sure what happened, but I got it so I'm happy!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom