Passporter vs. Unofficial Guide vs. Birnbaums?

rimousefan84

This may have been posted already but I'm new here so I don't really know how to run a search for past posts. I was wondering which guide you folks usually rely on when planning a disney trip. My fiance and I have previously used Birnbaums but find the information in it to be redundant, and not always up to date. Your posts will be greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch and I can't wait to hear from you.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Being encyclopedic, the UG updates what needs updating each year. That way you're not planning a visit to see Food Rocks and have lunch at the Sunrise Terrace before hopping to the MK with your 4day Ultimate Park Hopper to see Mr Toad.

Upvote 0

sbkline

No. It updates where it needs to, e.g. adding descriptions of new attractions such as Nemo this, Nemo that, etc. I'd say only about 2% of it changes each year though.

I think I even remember, when reading in the 2003 edition, that they specifically addressed the common question of why they don't change it each year for those of us who buy it just to get a Disney fix. :lol: People like us, who would like it to change every year just so we can have something different to read instead of a carbon copy of last years' book. They said (I can't remember the exact words) that their primary goal isn't to entertain poor no-life saps like me and the rest of you, but to provide info for people planning a trip.

Upvote 0

rwdavis2

I think Unofficial Guide is the best. But we also get the Passporter. It has a section in the back where you can list what you did for the day, impressions, funniest moments. We usually do that at dinner everyday. It's nice to re-read it a few years later.
Bob

Upvote 0

carolina_yankee

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even heard of this one! I'll have to go to the local Barnes and Noble to check it out.

I'm so glad you all responded to the thread, you really gave me some valuable opinions on disney planning, but it looks like I'm just going to have to purchase the Unofficial guide AND Passporters lol

I discovered it by accident just surfing around on Amazon. Once I got it, I couldn't put it down. Glad I didn't need sleep the next day . . .

Dirk

Upvote 0

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I vote for the Passporter. I just got too bogged down by the Unofficial and Birnbaums is a nice one but very surface as someone said. I like the passporter because of the maps of the resorts, the pocket pages in the back, and the author's descriptions.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think I even remember, when reading in the 2003 edition, that they specifically addressed the common question of why they don't change it each year for those of us who buy it just to get a Disney fix. :lol: People like us, who would like it to change every year just so we can have something different to read instead of a carbon copy of last years' book. They said (I can't remember the exact words) that their primary goal isn't to entertain poor no-life saps like me and the rest of you, but to provide info for people planning a trip.

I believe this is addressed at the beginning of every book, when the new editions come out. Typically, they tell you exactly what is new every year.

Upvote 0

disneyfan1966

I love Passporter for planning. I know it has been posted several times, but this guide really makes the planning easy, plus all the tips and websites etc. to make other aspects of your trip go smoothly, it just doesn't get any better than the Passporter. :wave:

Upvote 0

NemoFan

The Complete Walt Disney World by the Neals sounds great and I'd love to have it with me on my upcoming trip, but I can't find it locally (I've checked about a dozen places). Since I'm leaving for Disney World in 2 days, there's no time to order it online. Does anyone know whether there's a bookstore in Disney World that might have it? Or is there a store at the Orlando airport that might sell it? (We won't have a rental car with us, so we can't travel off-site.) Thanks for the info.

Upvote 0

carolina_yankee

The Neals wrote their book with full Disney cooperation so it might be for sale in the parks or in Downtown Disney. I would imagine Virgin Megastore would have it. The airport store might have it as well.

You could also order it online and have it shipped to your resort if you want to be sure. (Make sure you list resort name, your name, and arrival date in the delivvery address info.) Amazon 2nd day shipping isn't bad, if you really want an item.

Dirk

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

How much do the Unofficial guides usually run?
I have a 20% off one item coupon at Borders, and $5 in Borders Bucks. I am thinking today might be the day to go to Borders.

Upvote 0

sbkline

How much do the Unofficial guides usually run?
I have a 20% off one item coupon at Borders, and $5 in Borders Bucks. I am thinking today might be the day to go to Borders.

I bought mine last night at Barnes and Noble, and it was $19.99.

However, that price was actually printed on the back of the book over the barcode, as opposed to a sticky label slapped on there by the store. So that would seem to be the standard price, although I suppose any store could choose to price it differently than what is on the cover.

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

Hmm...well with my coupon and the 5 dollars off that makes it like 10.99 plus tax!! That is exciting. I am worried I will go to Borders after work and they won't have it though. I don't want to buy the 07 if the 08 is already out.

Upvote 0

Lucky

Passporter has some cool park maps, and useful info on resorts. But on most topics it has nowhere near the detail of the Unofficial Guide, e.g. on restaurants, attractions, traveling with infants or persons with disabilities, etc. etc. (OK, Len, surely by now I have a free copy of the update coming, right? I'm running out of compliments here.)

Upvote 0

Shere_Khan

Passporter has some cool park maps, and useful info on resorts. But on most topics it has nowhere near the detail of the Unofficial Guide, e.g. on restaurants, attractions, traveling with infants or persons with disabilities, etc. etc. (OK, Len, surely by now I have a free copy of the update coming, right? I'm running out of compliments here.)

I have yet to buy an unofficial guide, always bought Birnbaums, but from reading this thread I am thinking I will go pick one up today. Your description makes me want to pick one up all the more.

Also as far as Passporter, if this is the one I am thinking of, doesn't it have little pages with envelopes where you can write about your trip and stick tickets, napkins, other little souvenirs you get into the pockets? I think I may pick one of those up before our trip as well. Not so much for the info but for that part of it, to have a nice souvenior and so I can remember all the stuff we did by writing the descriptions.

Upvote 0

LoriMistress

This thread should really have a poll on this.

I've used the UG for DLR/DCA for 2005 and I thought it was great. What I've been currently using since October 2006 is TGM and I love it so far. Though, I'm also getting a free PP book because I won a drawing on their site, so I'll be checking their info. out to see the differences. I've heard PP is great, and I've heard wonderful things about their note cards, storing, binders, planning sheets, etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom