Part of Sid Cahuenga's at Disney's Hollywood Studios to become a MyMagic+ service center

SirNim

I fail to see why less than stellar merchandise in recent years makes this decision look better.
Yeah the merchandise is actually kind of irrelevant. It's about the replacement of the concept of this space. It's like it's been rezoned by the zoning board. 'Bureaucracy' has taken over what had previously been zoned as public mixed-use/residential/commercial.

Your local mom-n-pop cobbler, or second-hand clothing store, or organic grocer is now a branch of the DMV. Doesn't exactly engender feelings of coziness or thoughts of "We're on the right track."

FettFan

Sad news. I would have preferred they convert the gas station/stroller rental across the street into a My Magic+ station.

And I would have thought that the recent acquisitions and deals (Marvel, Luscasfilm, Avatar) that would have brought more top quality merchandise and memorabilia into Sid's. Disney might not be able to display an Iron Man suit....but they could have been selling RDJ-signed replica helmets.
Life-size Yoda maquettes, signed by Frank Oz? YES PLEASE.

And how about actually getting celebrities to come in for signings? Think Star Wars Weekends, only extended to other nerds. Call it "Sid Cahuenga's Fandemonium Days".....like a miniature version of Comic-Con.

SirNim

I guess on the bright side, this is kinda like the old glorious EPCOT Center WorldKey idealism reborn and rebranded and injected into other Parks. Hmm. Maybe I should rethink things from this perspective. There is precedent for this. Precedent from the early WorldKey days of the 'Center. I still don't like the rezoning/repurposing/outright closure of Cahuenga's, but knowing there is historical EPCOT precedent takes perhaps a little sting out. *shrug*

(note: I can't tell if I'm being ironic or not. I might be. I really can't tell.)

Last edited:
Yeah the merchandise is actually kind of irrelevant. It's about the replacement of the concept of this space. It's like it's been rezoned by the zoning board. 'Bureaucracy' has taken over what had previously been zoned as public mixed-use/residential/commercial.

Your local mom-n-pop cobbler, or second-hand clothing store, or organic grocer is now a branch of the DMV. Doesn't exactly engender feelings of coziness or thoughts of "We're on the right track."
Excellent post! Sadly a few posters have proven in crystal clear proportions why Disney is now concerned with only vapid self promotion and sleight of hand. They're happy with the new technology over classic quality but then they probably equate Justin Bieber as the contemempory Frank Sinatra.

Bairstow

Sad news. I would have preferred they convert the gas station/stroller rental across the street into a My Magic+ station.

And I would have thought that the recent acquisitions and deals (Marvel, Luscasfilm, Avatar) that would have brought more top quality merchandise and memorabilia into Sid's. Disney might not be able to display an Iron Man suit....but they could have been selling RDJ-signed replica helmets.
Life-size Yoda maquettes, signed by Frank Oz? YES PLEASE.

And how about actually getting celebrities to come in for signings? Think Star Wars Weekends, only extended to other nerds. Call it "Sid Cahuenga's Fandemonium Days".....like a miniature version of Comic-Con.

None of that stuff would have been one-of-a-kind, though.
I wonder if Cahuenga's is as much a victim of CGI taking over movie special effects as anything else.

darthspielberg

I am going to guess I'm the only who couldn't care less about Sid's going the way of the Dodo. I hardly knew what that place was until my last trip, and even then, I found it tacky and kind of useless.

JimboJones123

I never understood the value of getting an autograph to begin with. Nor will I ever understand why somebody would pay for an autograph. And lastly why you would make sure that a 3rd party profited from a huge markup on obtaining an indirect purchased autograph.

At best, the store, I guess, was a pinch interesting so you could find out which celeb signatures sold for the highest price??? Maybe??? I don't know....

It all seemed kinda pointless. If something has to go, better be this. I am sure the Devil himself worked some evil on the contract to get Planet Hollywood locked into the park. Because that place has been a ghost town as long as I can remember.

Skippy's Pal

Goodbye to a piece of old Hollywood, hello to a new soulless center of frustrated guests, poor employees who have to deal with them, and execs who think everything is right in the world.

Yeah. Remember that old line from Vietnam: "We had to destroy the village in order to save it." It seems clear that in order to "save" this 1-2 billion dollar boondoggle that is MYW and FP+, the clueless suits will gut, bulldoze, and destroy anything in their path, any theming, atmosphere, vestiges of the magic, whatever. With the news of the latest rollout delay, this is starting to look like "Igercare."

Magenta Panther

I visited Sid's last week...sad to know it was my last time...darn!

And yeah I used the damn Magic Band while I was at WDW. It was no better or faster or more convenient than the cards and it was a B*TCH to put on, and doing FastPass with it was such a pain in the rear that I didn't bother after my first attempt at the booth at Philharmagic. Nuts to Magic Bands.

SirNim

Nuts to Magic Bands.
33o1h1w.jpg

WDW1974

Typical TDO move. It sickens me to the core of being a fan. They are making it so much easier for me to go to UNI or SW or BGT, the truth is they all provide a higher caliber product than the WDW of today does.

If I want a Disney fix of quality, I'll head for Anaheim or their Asian parks or take a cruise.

Anything else said would have lots of expletives. I really hope I run into Georgie K on my next visit.

Nice to see you back in these MAGICal waters, btw.

JimboJones123

Typical TDO move. It sickens me to the core of being a fan. They are making it so much easier for me to go to UNI or SW or BGT, the truth is they all provide a higher caliber product than the WDW of today does.

If I want a Disney fix of quality, I'll head for Anaheim or their Asian parks or take a cruise.

Anything else said would have lots of expletives. I really hope I run into Georgie K on my next visit.

Nice to see you back in these MAGICal waters, btw.
I would not go that far. SW's Antartica expansion is great on the surface, but overall a underwhelming use of the technology and very very short line following a very poor queue concept.

Bush Gardens is beginning to suffer Six Flags syndrome in more than the tucked away corners. It is becoming front and center.

rangerbob

I was in Sid's yesterday. They have a few pictures in there and had more cast members that people wanting help. They had 3 cast members in Sids and 2 more for the Swan and Dolphin outside and only 1 person was doing anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom