Part of Sid Cahuenga's at Disney's Hollywood Studios to become a MyMagic+ service center

lazyboy97o

The AFI shop is relatively weak in terms of merchandise and is a large space. I can see the content of Sid's moving over there, but the shop itself was really cool. Forgive me if this is the actual back story, but when I went in there I got the feeling that Dinorama was supposed to illicit. Someone owned property and didn't want to move/relocate and instead he felt he'd capitalize on the surrounding area/tourists.
That is exactly what you were supposed to feel and the backstory behind the shop. The merchandise being moved is pointless as what is lost is the setup to Hollywood Blvd.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I've actually seen the setup. It's not that bad. It's certainly not gaudy (or easy to notice from afar). The shop still exists, the merch, for the most part, is the same, and while the wooden tables look a bit plastic, the idea of putting the touchscreens in 50's style portable TV sets was unique, as they just appear to be sitting out on Sid's "porch".

I thought it would be a nightmare of theme breaking, but really, it works.

Bairstow

The AFI shop is relatively weak in terms of merchandise and is a large space. I can see the content of Sid's moving over there, but the shop itself was really cool. Forgive me if this is the actual back story, but when I went in there I got the feeling that Dinorama was supposed to illicit. Someone owned property and didn't want to move/relocate and instead he felt he'd capitalize on the surrounding area/tourists.

Yup. In a good way, though.
I kind of like the idea of putting this sort of specialty merch at the AFI store, actually. People might be more in the mood to buy a genuine movie prop or costume fragment after having seen some of the exhibits there and on the backstage tour. Also, Sid's was really too valuable a space to be used on a specialty shop anyway. It would have made more sense from the beginning if it had been built out near Echo Lake or something, a little "side venture" next to the soundstage areas.

Themed screens and tables?

Looks kind of pitiful but you know what? God bless them for trying.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yup. In a good way, though.
I kind of like the idea of putting this sort of specialty merch at the AFI store, actually. People might be more in the mood to buy a genuine movie prop or costume fragment after having seen some of the exhibits there and on the backstage tour. Also, Sid's was really too valuable a space to be used on a specialty shop anyway. It would have made more sense from the beginning if it had been built out near Echo Lake or something, a little "side venture" next to the soundstage areas.

Themed screens and tables?

Looks kind of pitiful but you know what? God bless them for trying.

Doesn't it look like they just snarfed up any discarded tables throughout the property and plopped it in Sids?

Last edited:

omurice

Glad they are adding more MM+ kiosks, but sad this is taking over a relaxing, landmark store to walk through. Though not well shaded, those screens might have made more sense by Crossroads info, or put more than 2 over by the tip board.
I never spent there a dime there, but browsed it many times, so it's part my fault that Cahuenga's was ripe for closing (sorry Sid!)

PS - TDO would it be a crime to put just one out of five screens up at the 4-ft level? Those 10" screens are tiny 3 feet from my eyes... It's discrimination against myopic and "vertically advantaged" adult humans! :confused:

flagen

I had ZERO issues with the bands in September, in fact i liked it. No running to the machine to get a ticket...and made my vacation much more relaxing thats for sure! (and yes i could and did change my ride times at the park using my phone and it was simple and easy)

RSoxNo1

I had ZERO issues with the bands in September, in fact i liked it. No running to the machine to get a ticket...and made my vacation much more relaxing thats for sure! (and yes i could and did change my ride times at the park using my phone and it was simple and easy)
Once again, the convenient aspect of the Band/App is a great selling point. The objection that people have is that it's accessing a different system than what we've grown accustomed to. I wouldn't oppose using the same Fastpass distribution rules as the legacy system, but accessing it through in park kiosks and/or a smart phone. The objection is far less with the bands, then it is with the change to the Fastpass system.

CaptainJackNO

I think the Magic Bands and the subsequent merch is so terrible that we should go jump in a time machine and go back and kill the man who invented the word "magic" and then jump forward to find the first wrist band and kill that guy too ... perhaps that's too murderous ... ok let's just go back in time and find little Bobby Iger and suggest he never invest money in data mining ..

Wait we have a time machine!!! ... nevermind ... let's just go back to Disney World in it's golden age.
LOL

Gabe1

I rather think that's the idea.

Likely it was Disney Imagineerings misplaced point. Unfortunately with Sids wears going bye bye from the building and the first building many will experience when entering DHS, most will miss 'that idea' correlation resulting in a poor impression right through the gate. Imagineering could do much better but this is 'Good Enough' approach of Disney these days.

Skippy's Pal

I think the Magic Bands and the subsequent merch is so terrible that we should go jump in a time machine and go back and kill the man who invented the word "magic" and then jump forward to find the first wrist band and kill that guy too ... perhaps that's too murderous ... ok let's just go back in time and find little Bobby Iger and suggest he never invest money in data mining ..

Wait we have a time machine!!! ... nevermind ... let's just go back to Disney World in it's golden age.

While you're jumping around in that time machine, please go back and keep Frank Wells from getting on that helicopter.....

Tigger1988

Likely it was Disney Imagineerings misplaced point. Unfortunately with Sids wears going bye bye from the building and the first building many will experience when entering DHS, most will miss 'that idea' correlation resulting in a poor impression right through the gate. Imagineering could do much better but this is 'Good Enough' approach of Disney these days.
Most people don't realize Sid's is even there until they're leaving the park, it's hardly the first impression most guests will have once entering the gate.

Gabe1

Most people don't realize Sid's is even there until they're leaving the park, it's hardly the first impression most guests will have once entering the gate.

But Sids as we know is now extinct the wares now gone, turned into a My Magic Service Center for the most part, so guests will indeed now be using the building all day long. Pretty much my point of old use of a structure verses new, many not knowing the connection Disney is trying to make from an extinct purpose. They can do better, they just choose not to.

Sped2424

Sid's merch has offically moved to the store at the end of the backlout tour.
tumblr_mx6c8udPRs1rb3d4bo1_500.jpg

ABQ

Yup. Have to say, been to that park countless times and never, not once, ever had an idea of what was in that shop or had any interest in entering it. Like you said, I noticed it on the way out each time, probably due to my tendency to walk on the right entering and exiting. Guess all the Brit's on the forum here will say they noticed it each time they entered.

Bairstow

Yup. Have to say, been to that park countless times and never, not once, ever had an idea of what was in that shop or had any interest in entering it. Like you said, I noticed it on the way out each time, probably due to my tendency to walk on the right entering and exiting. Guess all the Brit's on the forum here will say they noticed it each time they entered.

I knew it was there as a kid but only because Birnbaum's guide made a big deal about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom