Part of Sid Cahuenga's at Disney's Hollywood Studios to become a MyMagic+ service center

Tigger1988

I was in Sid's yesterday. They have a few pictures in there and had more cast members that people wanting help. They had 3 cast members in Sids and 2 more for the Swan and Dolphin outside and only 1 person was doing anything.
I saw these Swan and Dolphin CMs everywhere in every park last week, what's the story?

RSoxNo1

I was in Sid's yesterday. They have a few pictures in there and had more cast members that people wanting help. They had 3 cast members in Sids and 2 more for the Swan and Dolphin outside and only 1 person was doing anything.
Sounds to me like there are no problems with My Magic + then.

tahqa

Per management types standing outside on Saturday night most of the merchandise has been moved to AFI and some artwork for sell will remain in Sids. The cast members next door at Mickey's of Hollywood will be able to sell the artwork in Sids if anyone is interested.

gboiler1

First off, I have no problems with the Magic Band, etc. but am disappointed to see the unique shops and experiences disappear. That's one of the things I enjoy about Disneyland. It's fun to experience the magic shop or penny arcade that makes Main Street its own attraction rather than more merchadise.

tribbleorlfl

I never understood the value of getting an autograph to begin with. Nor will I ever understand why somebody would pay for an autograph. And lastly why you would make sure that a 3rd party profited from a huge markup on obtaining an indirect purchased autograph.
I can't speak for everyone who collects autographs, but for me the value in getting an autograph is that a) I get to meet someone famous and b) walk away with a tangible memento of the encounter. It's really no different than people wanting a photo w/ a celebrity, or collecting any number of things (Disneyanna, sports memorabilia, parking tickets, etc).

That being said, to me the allure of Sid's was always the props, costumes, old movie posters and personal items from celebrity estates and not the autographs. All of that stuff was truly unique, and they had a wide selection of price points. Even as a poor college student, I was able to buy some items from Flubber, Armageddon and Alien Resurrection.

Sadly, that's all been long gone, so I don't really care what they replace it with.

Bairstow

I can't speak for everyone who collects autographs, but for me the value in getting an autograph is that a) I get to meet someone famous and b) walk away with a tangible memento of the encounter. It's really no different than people wanting a photo w/ a celebrity, or collecting any number of things (Disneyanna, sports memorabilia, parking tickets, etc).

That being said, to me the allure of Sid's was always the props, costumes, old movie posters and personal items from celebrity estates and not the autographs. All of that stuff was truly unique, and they had a wide selection of price points. Even as a poor college student, I was able to buy some items from Flubber, Armageddon and Alien Resurrection.

Sadly, that's all been long gone, so I don't really care what they replace it with.
So what kind of props did you get?

rangerbob

I saw these Swan and Dolphin CMs everywhere in every park last week, what's the story?
I think that Swan and Dolphin was just brought on board for FP+. I don't think they can use a band to enter the park but they can make the reservations at the designated locations in the park.

darthspielberg

And we are wondering why this thing costs billions of dollars to create. Most of it going to CM standing around waiting for people to want help with their planning.

No, most of the money went into the overhaul of the various park's infrastructure, such as the turnstiles. Which to be honest, MyMagic+ or no, the park really did need.

Cast Members getting paid to do stand around and do very little has no bearing on the MyMagic+ budget. That comes out of the payroll budget.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cast Members getting paid to do stand around and do very little has no bearing on the MyMagic+ budget. That comes out of the payroll budget.

They are related... first.. the MM+ project has introduced entirely new roles.. roles that would be funded through it's own funding. Two, for overall staffing increases like in GR.. the Ops guy is going to demand they get funding assistance since the demands are new. Finance would cross-charge the new overhead to the MM+ budget so their numbers don't go in the toilet.

In the end, it all comes from the same pocketbook... but from a division point of view, they would argue to have their numbers bolstered by the other group if the other group is the root of their problem. Peter charges Paul for causing him grief.

taz0162

So glad I located my Sid Cahuenga's Pin on ebay a couple months ago. With all the closed locations it would have taken me longer then the year it did to locate one.

Sped2424

Just heard from someone who visited the park that he talked to the management in front of Cid's shop and they told him it was being relocated over to the backlot tour. Perhaps during the refurb they are goign to outfit the merchstore at the end of the ride?

Bairstow

Am I misremembering things or did the title of this thread recently change to say that only a part of Sid's was being converted?

fngoofy

And we are wondering why this thing costs billions of dollars to create. Most of it going to CM standing around waiting for people to want help with their planning.

CMs make $8/hr. Managers make 40k.

A 10% margin of the 1B that has been spent would pay for:
4800 Cast Members and 500 Managers to "stand around" for 1 year.

Your snark is strong but your math is weak.

asianway

They are related... first.. the MM+ project has introduced entirely new roles.. roles that would be funded through it's own funding. Two, for overall staffing increases like in GR.. the Ops guy is going to demand they get funding assistance since the demands are new. Finance would cross-charge the new overhead to the MM+ budget so their numbers don't go in the toilet.

In the end, it all comes from the same pocketbook... but from a division point of view, they would argue to have their numbers bolstered by the other group if the other group is the root of their problem. Peter charges Paul for causing him grief.
Theres about 5 people on the board who even understand what you wrote - dont waste your breath

aladdin2007

Just heard from someone who visited the park that he talked to the management in front of Cid's shop and they told him it was being relocated over to the backlot tour. Perhaps during the refurb they are goign to outfit the merchstore at the end of the ride?

That would be kind of cool, but not getting my hopes up

RSoxNo1

The AFI shop is relatively weak in terms of merchandise and is a large space. I can see the content of Sid's moving over there, but the shop itself was really cool. Forgive me if this is the actual back story, but when I went in there I got the feeling that Dinorama was supposed to illicit. Someone owned property and didn't want to move/relocate and instead he felt he'd capitalize on the surrounding area/tourists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom