Park Pet Peeves

MouseMadness

THANK YOU!!! Why should we not only deprive ourselves Disney, but why should we feel like we must deprive our five year old just because we have an infant daughter?

Yes... I'm hoping for a trip next spring break, at which point I'll have a six month old.

It will be fun knowing I'm aggrivating so many people. :lol: :lookaroun :shrug:

catne

Little ones may be in park by "default"...

Think it's silly to be upset that others take small ones to park (I can see the pet peeves about using strollers as battering rams through the crowds, but to be upset just because the babies & toddlers are there?) There's many reasons for little ones to be there besides parents spoiling them with a trip they won't remember. And Monty's point is very valid...the family that plays together has a much better shot at happiness, that's for sure. If your kids are spread out age-wise, you may have no choice but to take little'uns. We took our youngest when she was 3, and she does not remember much from that trip (even the pictures don't trigger many memories)...but the older kids were 8, 12.5 and nearly 14 and thoroughly enjoyed and remembered every minute. If we waited until the Baby was in elementary school, the oldest would have been out of high school and not much into "family" vacations. Course, baby's now a 19 yr old Dis fanatic, and sees nothing wrong with going with the "rents" for a "family" vacation to Disney World! (And truth be told, the oldest would probably be happy to go with us now if we offered...but gees, he's almost 30, and we gotta draw the line somewhere on paying for "kids!" ;))

TwoTigersMom

Not only that, whether your child remembers the place or the characters, seeing their parents enjoying life and having fun does remain indelibly with them. Life's best lessons are absorbed by children watching their parents before they can comprehend or remember specifics.

On the flip side of that, I'm just selfish. I took my oldest at 2 and a half. I knew he wouldn't remember the trip and I didn't care. I wanted the memories. I have all the wonderful memories of his and my youngest's, who was 2, first trips. We didn't "wait" until they were 2 either, that's just when we happened to go. If I had another child now they would be going with us on our next trip, no matter how young they are. Oh and ya know what? Both my boys have memories of their first trip after all. The oldest remembers the bears in Maelstrom and all those "yucky" girls kissing him at Cindy's breakfast. The youngest remembers tons of things about his first trip.

catne

On the flip side of that, I'm just selfish. I took my oldest at 2 and a half. I knew he wouldn't remember the trip and I didn't care. I wanted the memories...quote]

Agree 100% on that one...I thoroughly enjoy my memories of DD's first time...the other thing I liked about having a little one was that even though we did the early morning sprint for the popular rides, etc. since she was so young, we were forced to slow down most of the time & take the recommended breaks. I think we had more fun that trip because we were all more relaxed due to the "forced" toddler breaks.

tigfan

What bugs me is when first-timers let their ignorance ruin their trip. A good example would be when I was waiting in line for the Great Movie Ride. I heard many people who apparently thought the room with the movie screen during the queue WAS the attraction, and left :brick:
I've also heard stories of first-timers visiting MK who didn't know where anything was, did one or two small things that they could find, and left, claiming the park was too boring. People are totally missing out on awesome stuff and wrongfully getting a bad impression of what Disney is! Do a little research and pay attention to the maps, people!

The only thing about this one is that when guests make mistakes like this (especially "many" guests, as you've pointed out), then I don't really think it's necessarily so much the fault of the guests. If that many guests are getting confused, then maybe Disney needs to do a better job of making it easier to understand, don't you think?

yankspy

I would also like to add that while children may not remeber early trips it is kind of cool to see pictures of those trips as you get older. I was there in the 70's when I was young and I love looking at those old pictures(many of which are posted on this site).:D

TheKeeler7

This may be the best posting ever on this website, I would add,
parents who bring kids who are way too small and young to remember anything about the trip at all, but I guess if you think they deserve it at sixteen months old then by god you must fullfill your parental duties.

So by this logic we should not play or interact with our little ones, I mean why bother they will never remember, If only I new this before I "wasted" all that time at the play ground, or in swimming lessons.

My pet peeve is people without kids who try to tell us how to raise our kids. I have 5 kids from 5 to 13 and still have no idea how to tell people what is right or wrong for their perticular child.

aj_steig

Think it's silly to be upset that others take small ones to park (I can see the pet peeves about using strollers as battering rams through the crowds, but to be upset just because the babies & toddlers are there?) There's many reasons for little ones to be there besides parents spoiling them with a trip they won't remember. And Monty's point is very valid...the family that plays together has a much better shot at happiness, that's for sure. If your kids are spread out age-wise, you may have no choice but to take little'uns. We took our youngest when she was 3, and she does not remember much from that trip (even the pictures don't trigger many memories)...but the older kids were 8, 12.5 and nearly 14 and thoroughly enjoyed and remembered every minute. If we waited until the Baby was in elementary school, the oldest would have been out of high school and not much into "family" vacations. Course, baby's now a 19 yr old Dis fanatic, and sees nothing wrong with going with the "rents" for a "family" vacation to Disney World! (And truth be told, the oldest would probably be happy to go with us now if we offered...but gees, he's almost 30, and we gotta draw the line somewhere on paying for "kids!" ;))

I agree with you on that. I don't have children (yet ;)!) but I tell people all the time that I plan on taking my child to WDW as a baby and they look at me like I have two heads:eek:. I know it will be difficult logistics wise, but I feel since I was introduced to Disney at a young age, my children should be too (even if they are too young to remember it). That's just my thoughts though!

wvdisneyfamily

Sometimes parents take young children to WDW not to make memories for the kids, but to make memories for themselves. When I have a child, I fully intend on taking him or her before they will remember it. I want the memories of my children experiencing a place that is so loved and so important to my family. Yes, I will take them when they are older and make memories then, but it won't be the same. Also, as an earlier poster mentioned, I don't want to deprive myself of WDW for 5 years or so.

My park pet peeves include the following:
*rude foreign tour groups
*stinky people
*on ride flash photographs
*people with senses of entitlement
*people that hold a spot in line for like 50 other people
*smoking in non-smoking areas

Rude Foreign Tour Groups:fork::fork::fork:

The Mom

Premium Member
Next spring break, like a year from now? And how do you know you'll have a six month old then? lol

Because she just recently found out she's pregnant. Do the math.

Sorry, forgot to add a ;) at the end. I didn't mean to be rude, as I'm sure you didn't, either. :)

The Mom

Premium Member
This may be the best posting ever on this website, I would add,
parents who bring kids who are way too small and young to remember anything about the trip at all, but I guess if you think they deserve it at sixteen months old then by god you must fullfill your parental duties.

Parents still like to take a vacation, and WDW is one of the few resort areas where children are 100% welcome. Or do you believe that once you have children, you should stay home 365 days a year and never take a vacation until they're in school? Parents don't bring small children/babies because they think their children deserve a vacation, but because they(the parents) need one.

And, as mentioned, some of us would have to miss going to WDW for decades if we waited until our children were old enough to remember on their own. ;)

sissa216

duh!!! I was thinking she'd have a newborn a year from now...not a six month old year from now. Even though I quoted her as a six month old, in my mind I was thinking she meant a newborn, and I was wondering how she knew she'd have a baby exactly a year from now.

Carry on.

And no, I don't think mine comes of even remotely rude?

The Mom

Premium Member
duh!!! I was thinking she'd have a newborn a year from now...not a six month old year from now. Even though I quoted her as a six month old, in my mind I was thinking she meant a newborn, and I was wondering how she knew she'd have a baby exactly a year from now.

Carry on.

And no, I don't think mine comes of even remotely rude?

Maybe a teeny,tiny bit (your implication that someone knowing they would have a 6 month old a year from now was funny), but mine came across much snarkier without the ;), and you didn't deserve it. Sorry.:eek:

kimmychad

Which brings up this point...

OK, since I'm 6'5" , should I let everyone in front of me to see the parade even though I've been saving my spot for two hours. Should I be separated from my family by twenty or more people just because they are shorter than I? Am I a bad person for being up front?

i have no sympathy for people that dont plan their time better at disney. so to answer your question, no, i dont think your the bad person for being up front

Mr.EPCOT

:lol::lol::lol:

I hope you can make it to the next meet we are planning. If it is at MK you are so going to have a rough day! ;)

Yeah, I'm probably going to the Adventurer's Club meet (Kungaloosh!), and I'm definitely going to Animal Kingdom's 10th!

Don't worry, if you get too offensive, I'll trick you onto Stitch's Great Escape and jam your shoulder harness into place. :p

MouseMadness

Next spring break, like a year from now? And how do you know you'll have a six month old then? lol

edit: had a dumb math moment, as was so wonderfully pointed out :rolleyes:
I thought the "lol" would show I was joking too.

:lol: Ok, didn't mean to cause debate! I should say, crossing fingers and sending up a prayer that all goes well and I DO have a six month old next spring break. :eek: :) I'm about 7 weeks pregnant right now. There, all clarified. :lol: Child #5 :eek:

Clear Main Street! We'll be taking up the whole thing! We'll be our OWN rude tourist group!
boxer.gif
:lol: :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom