Park Hopper Passes going away!!!

spoodles

All options -- obviously you need the no expiration option to do this. Are they not offering no exp with the 10-day? I wasn't aware of this. Not that it affects me right now, as I got a bad case of Mufundsalow.

speck76

BTW...Universal has follow suit and raised prices (all of the parks do at this time of year, but normally Universal is first.

Ticket prices at Universal Orlando will go up today for the third time this year -- by far the largest single-year increase in the theme park's history.

Before tax, a one-day, one-park adult ticket to either Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure will go up $5 to $59.75, a 9 percent increase over the old price.

The move comes two weeks after Walt Disney World unveiled its steepest increase in at least 15 years in the price of a single-day, single-park ticket. That increase -- part of a radical restructuring of the way Disney sells tickets -- takes effect Jan.2.

In an effort to encourage tourists to stay longer and spend more money at its parks and hotels, Disney's new plan builds in discounts for longer stays.

In the price changes that take effect today, Universal increased the price of every ticket it offers -- including multi-day passes -- except its most expensive annual pass. Two- and three-day multiple-park passes increased about 5 percent, while the cost of a five-day pass went up 25 percent.

Still, even with the increases, Universal's two, three and five-day tickets will be cheaper than similar tickets at Disney. The price of a one-park adult ticket at the two resorts will match.

All of Orlando's major theme parks historically raise prices at about the same time. At SeaWorld Orlando, where a one-day ticket costs $53.95, officials would not comment Friday on pricing strategy.

After years of slower growth, admission prices at Orlando's parks have spiked this year, as the region's tourism industry has rebounded from recession.

Universal's one-day ticket began the year at $51.95, before going up $2 in January, 80 cents in April, and $5 this month -- a 15 percent hike altogether.

Tom Schroder, a park spokesman, said the latest increase was aimed at "staying level with the marketplace" after Disney announced its price hike.

"We watch that very, very carefully," he said.

And, he said, the addition of the Universal Studios' Revenge of the Mummy indoor roller coaster -- which replaced an older attraction -- "added value" to the ticket price.

Sean Mussenden can be reached at smussenden@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5664.

weluvtink

I'm wondering how we are going to handle this change in The Disney Store. Some guests have enough problems choosing tickets as it is. Most of them can't understand why they have to pay FL sales tax and now there's all these "extra" charges. This should be fun. :brick:

weluvtink

Yes, we are going to still sell passes and I believe there's going to be a special going on for DL passes as well. We're supposed to get all the new stuff and be trained on it early next week.

speck76

SeaWorld has now announced they are raising prices to $59.75.

Every Orlando theme park is now $59.75 for a one day pass.

mrsatta

I am sorry if this is a dumb question, but with the new tickets can you buy them in advance and not have them expire until you use them? I am planning a trip for june 2006 and I am wanting to buy tickets a year in advance so everything will be paid for before I go.

Captain Hank

Yup, you can buy them in advance at any AAA or Disney Store. Today, my manager showed me the new ticket designs for the Magic Your Way, and they're bland! The ticket is just a solid color, with a lighter colored line drawing of a character and "Magic Your Way" across the bottom. It's really...bland.

manda0125

Tickets

I haven't decided if I like the new tickets. What doesn't make sense to me is that we are offering the guests the convinence of buying thickets in advance, but if you buy them in the Disney store they expire. You have to take you ticket to Disney's guest service window, and add on the extra cost for it not to expire. And then when you use your ticket for the first time, you are going to have to scan your finger prints in those machines that they have. This way you can't have anyone else use your tickets. You also have to sign the back of them. My manager said they are doing this because people sell their unused days. Disney is trying to control all aspects, they can't. I'm sure that they aren't loosing that much money, buy having people sell their unused days. I know people at my Store are complaing about them already.

mrsatta

I thought the tickets expire 14 days after your first use at the park. I did not realize they expire 14 days after purchase. I can not see why they would expire 14 days after purchase. :hammer: :veryconfu There would not be any reason to buy them before hand if this is true. I was hoping to buy tickets throught the next year in a half, but if they expire before my trip in 2006 I guess I will wait.

speck76

mrsatta said:
I thought the tickets expire 14 days after your first use at the park. I did not realize they expire 14 days after purchase. I can not see why they would expire 14 days after purchase. :hammer: :veryconfu There would not be any reason to buy them before hand if this is true. I was hoping to buy tickets throught the next year in a half, but if they expire before my trip in 2006 I guess I will wait.

Since TDS is no longer owned by Disney, perhaps they do not want people to buy them from there, as they would have to lose some of the profits to the store selling them.

On top of that, if they do expire 14-days after purchase, this will keep people from buying tickets at the 2005 prices for a 2007 vacation, which is a pretty good decision on the company's part.

wannabeBelle

OK I went back and read the writeup on the MYW tickets and without the no expire option they will expire 14 days from the first use, not from when you first buy them!!! As others have said if it expired 14 days from the date of purchase it wouldnt make any sense!!!! Hope this helps!! Belle

Captain Hank

I don't know for sure, and I didn't have a chance to look at the literature we are passing out when we sell the tickets, but I don't think that the tickets will start ticking down the day that they are purchased. I'd check, but I'm at college and won't be back until Spring. I'm pretty sure the days only start being deducted once the ticket is actually used. It really wouldn't make any sense for it to start on the day of purchase. As I said, though, I could be wrong.

mrsatta

I just spoke to disney reservtion and they told me the ticket expire 14 days after first use at the parks and not when you buy them. Hope this helps. It answered my question. :)

Tramp

As I was reading the prices on MouseSavers, the price of the regular AP jumped from $403 to $420 and the Premium AP from $534 to $548. Prices effective 1/2/2005. :wave:

raven

When I worked at The Disney Store I was amazed at how many of our guests had never been to WDW before. Some were planning trips but most of the others simply said "It's too expensive." One woman even said to me "it seems the only way that a lot of people can even visit WDW is if they win a trip."

Sad to say that tickets aren't getting any cheaper or even easier to understand. Not only is it expensive but it's even more confusing now for new guests. That often makes people just want to stay home.

Thank you, Eisner, for making WDW America's Favorite Vacation Destination...of the past. :(

speck76

I am not sure what the confusion is.....the tickets offer every combination available.

How many days do you want to visit the parks?
Do you want the ability to visit more than 1 park per day?
Do you want to visit the waterparks or Pleasure Island?
Do you want the ability to use any unused portion of the ticket (if any) at a future date?

It is pretty self explanitory.

And yes WDW is not cheap, and not everyone can afford it. But not everyone can afford designer clothes either. Some people just can not do the same things that others can do due to money.

longfamily

I'm really unhappy that they have discontinued the equivalent of the Platinum package. It is really sad that Disney has raised the prices yet cut out a "luxury" package at the same time. It is as though they are asking consumers to pay for more but offering less. Just for fun, I went on Disney.com today to check out the new package features and I was surprised to discover that at this time, you cannot opt for more than 8 nights. Weird:confused:
Maybe that is due to the program not being up and running yet?

Luckily, we booked a vacation for this september during last year so that we could still utilize the 2004 package options. I really hate that Disney isn't offering anything close to what they used to. I am also really disappointed that the meal option feature is set up the way it is too (1counter service, 1 table service, and snack). I feel that if Disney needs to offer such a program, then it should be more of a choice for consumers such as the current meal plan and the choice of a broader meal plan including all table service, and possibly a smaller one featuring all counter service. This way, they would truly have a meal plan for all budgets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom