Park Hopper Passes going away!!!

wannabeBelle

speck76 said:
You would be surprised of the profit margins on a hotel room.
Care to share?? we were speculating on this on another thread regarding a rumour that AP discounts on rooms were going away. This was indeed just a rumour as AP rates for Mid Feb-Mid April came out within a few days of that, but we were saying that a discounted room is still better than an empty one. How correct are we?? Belle

speck76

wannabeBelle said:
Care to share?? we were speculating on this on another thread regarding a rumour that AP discounts on rooms were going away. This was indeed just a rumour as AP rates for Mid Feb-Mid April came out within a few days of that, but we were saying that a discounted room is still better than an empty one. How correct are we?? Belle

It depends on the targeted profit margin that is required of the hotel. Sometimes, a discounted room is better than no room. AP discounts did come out, and they were a higher price than in years past it seems. On top of that, it is more than likely that they are retricted to less dates than in years past (they are not last room availability discounts). Discounts are ok if they do not displace better rated business (if a hotel is going to sell out, it should not be offering discounted rooms). In previous years, the hotels were not selling out as much, now that they run the chance of selling out more often, the discounts would not be available as much.

Since WDC is a corporate business, they may, on purpose, run a lower occupancy with higher rates, simply for the greater profit margin and higher productivity (which is important to Wall Street).

Discounts do not really generate demand, they just increase the chance of capturing existing demand. Since WDW is a city of hotels all in itself, it is possible that by offering "too deep" of a discount on the deluxe hotels, they are sacrificing occupancy at the mid-priced hotels. I can only assume that the operating costs at a deluxe hotel is higher, therefore, they could be profiting less overall by this strategy.

weluvtink

How can anyone say "Disney isn't for everyone". Not everyone can afford the Platinum Package and those who can should not complain that parks are changing for those on budgets. Since when did Walt's vision for parks that everyone can visit become a "Members Only" club.

speck76

weluvtink said:
How can anyone say "Disney isn't for everyone". Not everyone can afford the Platinum Package and those who can should not complain that parks are changing for those on budgets. Since when did Walt's vision for parks that everyone can visit become a "Members Only" club.

When was his vision "a place for everyone". Even though the prices of DL in the 50-60's seems cheap now, it was never in everyone's budget. Some people can not afford, and will never be able to afford to visit the parks.......move on.

spoodles

I thought weluvtink's comment was well stated. Of course there will always be someone who can't afford even the cheapest route, but what's wrong with Disney offering choices that might allow more people to go?

There is something about "not for everyone" that really seems to go against what Disney's all about, at least for me.

speck76

spoodles said:
I thought weluvtink's comment was well stated. Of course there will always be someone who can't afford even the cheapest route, but what's wrong with Disney offering choices that might allow more people to go?

There is something about "not for everyone" that really seems to go against what Disney's all about, at least for me.

Are you saying they should charge people based on their income level? I would be quite offended by this.....sure, I earn a decent paycheck, but why should I pay more money to get into the parks "because I can afford it".

THAT does not seem fair!

wannabeBelle

spoodles said:

Not to sound offensive but there are people who dont think of Disney the same way we do. To them it is just OK!!! There are people who would far rather be on a Carribean Island or in Europe. The cost of Disney is expensive but start comapring it to other vacations and you will see it really isnt that far off from the other alternatives. For some people the money that Disney is charging just is not worth it, as Disney doesnt have the same effect as it would on someone like me!!! Different strokes!!!!!!! Belle

speck76

spoodles said:
Charge people based on their income level? How did you get that out of my comment?

You want to "give people options" that might allow more people to go. I would think, since most people that can not go, it is due to financial reasons, that you mean these people would get a discount "for being poor".

What I am saying is, why, since I can afford to go, should I pay full price, and others, who can not, would get a discount, just to enable them to go.

Also, why would WDW want to flood the parks with people that can not afford a full-priced admission, as they could probably also not afford gifts and food/drink either.

spoodles

I'm just talking about the new options afforded by the MYW tickets, which is what I thought we were all talking about. I never said anything about a discount for poor people.

wannabeBelle, I think the "not for everyone" comments were directed at people who could not afford Disney, not people who would just rather do something else.

Lauriebar

spoodles said:

Disney offers so many choices, from the bare minimum to absolute extravagance. I have yet to find any other vacation destination that gives someone so many different ways to experience what it has to offer. On our non-Disney vacations we usually end up spending much more on a hotel room, not to mention how much we spend on activities, food and transportation.

I agree with Belle that everything is relative, some people will always say "Disney's too expensive!". These people usually do not research the many options available to help with bringing the price down. On the other hand some people will pay almost anything to get to WDW because they love it so much.

The statement "Disney isn't for everyone" wasn't an elitist remark meaning only those with money should be allowed a WDW vacation. It simply means that not everyone equates WDW with value for your money and those people are better off finding another great vacation that they feel is the best choice for them.

weluvtink

spoodles said:

Thanks spoodles. I don't want to argue with anyone. I understand this new system is strange for some. I've never used any of the packages-we just pay as we go. Sometimes we go crazy and other times we try to be kind of cheap(depends on the Hubby's mood that day :p ).

wdwfan30

i don't like the idea of not being able to park hop like before.when we go it is usually in the summer and the parks are open late. we would go to a water park in the morning then while the baby napped me or my husband would take our older son to disneyquest then we would go to a park. now staying there for 8 days we can't do that.

speck76

wdwfan30 said:
i don't like the idea of not being able to park hop like before.when we go it is usually in the summer and the parks are open late. we would go to a water park in the morning then while the baby napped me or my husband would take our older son to disneyquest then we would go to a park. now staying there for 8 days we can't do that.

Why not.....that option is available.

longfamily

Many of you will take this wronge, but don't, it is not intended for that...

I am happy that not everyone can go to Disney. I am happy that it is set up so that it is costly to go. The reason being is because those who cannot afford it must save (sometimes for long periods) to go, therefore, they appreciate and respect the parks more and those people withen them. This is also true of those who can afford to go. Other amusement parks that do not require such hefty prices have problems that Disney does not. They are dirty because the people there do not respect the place so they don't mind where their trash goes, people are rude and forceful to one another(workers and guests), the overall quality is lacking and it is generally because of the people in attendence. Sure, there are Jerks everywhere but people usually behave better when there is a higher pricetag attached. That is in part what makes Disney "magical". Trash is in the garbage cans, not standing in line next to you. And I'm talking about people, not incomes. JMHO.

Hey, I think it is great that Disney is trying to give lower income families/people the opportunity to go to Disney. I just ask that they give us back the elaborate packages too.

longfamily

speck76 said:
Why not.....that option is available.

With the exclusion of the Ultimate park Hopper, it is no longer an option to utilize Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, or either water park at a whim. When you purchase the ticket that adds on these features, you may only use these features a number of times (ie. 5 visits for a 7 day ticket). In the past you could have gone to Pleasure island every night and visited Disney Quest before going to Pleasure island and maybe spent every other morning at a water park. With the new system this option is gone unless you pay for individual tickets after your alloted visits are gone.

TURKEY

longfamily said:
With the exclusion of the Ultimate park Hopper, it is no longer an option to utilize Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, or either water park at a whim. When you purchase the ticket that adds on these features, you may only use these features a number of times (ie. 5 visits for a 7 day ticket). In the past you could have gone to Pleasure island every night and visited Disney Quest before going to Pleasure island and maybe spent every other morning at a water park. With the new system this option is gone unless you pay for individual tickets after your alloted visits are gone.
How many people actually do this though?

I'm guessing not very many.

spoodles

Thanks longfamily, I see your point more clearly now. On a smaller scale, we have a small amusement park in our town that's been around forever. They never charged admission at all until maybe 10 years ago. It had become such a loitering zone, but the admission has made a huge difference.

I never thought of that angle before, that some of "the magic" may actually come from the fact that people's respect is higher because of how much they're paying. In my fantasy world, I wish everyone could feel "the magic", but I see your point.

wdwfan30

i know a lot of people that actually do the parking hopping like we do. its a great idea to be able to entertain older kids while the little ones are asleep. and going to a waterpark daily is great in the summer especially if you stay 7 or more days.

nibblesandbits

longfamily said:

I still have the Ultimate Park Hopper for my trip and while I do like the idea of being able to go to these places whenever I want, when I actually think about it, it just sounds like a heck of a lot of work. For example, first, we go to the theme park, spend all day there (which in my opinion is tiring in itself), then we go to Disney Quest for a couple of hours (at least), and then we go to Pleasure Island for an hour or two? Then we back to the hotel, go to sleep and get up the next morning to do it all again? That would run me, and a lot of other people, ragged. While that idea might work on a really long trip...(like 10 or more days) I don't think that many people would put themselves through that. It's just too hectic and a vacation is supposed to be relaxing, even if it is to Disney World.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom