Park Hopper Passes going away!!!

Kristofke

so no more Fun in the Sun passes for Europe anymore.

The Anual Card for a month :)

The price was so low for so much in return.

Hope they come up with something the same as the Fun in the Sun pass. It was just 249 dollars !!!

ToTBellHop

I don't want to read through 10 pages to see if it has been discussed, but have you all noticed that this system effectively raises the one day-one park admission price up to $59.75...insane.

MouseRight

Interesting slant on the new pricing plan from Motley Fool:

Motley Fool
Disney's Brilliant Hike
Monday December 6, 8:57 am ET
By Rick Aristotle Munarriz

Its annual dividend wasn't the only thing that Disney (NYSE: DIS - News) was raising last week. Come January, a one-day ticket to its Disney World theme parks in Florida will set you back a stunning $59.75.

That's a daring $5 hike, especially when you consider that some of its parks wouldn't exactly qualify as full-day experiences. Animal Kingdom has now had six years to establish itself as more than just a half-day park, yet it still closes at 5 p.m. every day. EPCOT is a more popular gated attraction, yet it still closes many of its rides shortly after dusk and won't open its country exhibits until just before lunchtime.

According to Amusement Business, just one of Disney's four Floridian parks grew its attendance last year and, with the peninsular state drawing a few tourist-chasing hurricanes in 2004, it's not as if the results are likely to have improved much this year.

Yet calling this a brilliant hike wasn't meant to be drippy with sarcasm. The move is a good one because at the same time Disney is rolling out customized ticket options that will make extended stays substantially cheaper.

That's what Disney has wanted all along. Sure, it wouldn't mind you as a day guest, but it would much rather have you as a captive customer for a week or so. Staying at one of its many onsite resorts, dining at its many restaurants, taking in the various water parks, shopping districts and golf courses -- that's where Disney would rather see you.

All around the country even the smaller regional chains are starting to flesh out their thrill havens as resorts to profit from extended stays. Last week, Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN - News) announced that it was building overnight accommodations at its Worlds of Fun park in Kansas City, following in the footsteps of its more fleshed out destinations elsewhere.

While the industry has always been defined in terms of attendance and per capita spending, amusement parks are now starting to cash in on its patrons on the other side of the turnstile.

For Disney, longer stays also mean providing its guests the flexibility to explore its massive entertainment compound. So if your animal-averse teen isn't wowed by Animal Kingdom, perhaps the next generation DisneyQuest video arcade will do the trick. The childless couple who feel they've outgrown Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland may find a more nocturnally tantalizing experience at the company's Pleasure Island collection of nightclubs or the fine dining alternatives at the upscale resorts.

Living in Florida, it just doesn't feel right if I'm not heading out to Disney World every other month or so. Yet as many visits as I may have logged in my life I tend to discover something new every single time. That's why I always wonder if the tired family dragging itself to the parking lot at the end of the day knows that same Disney World that I do. The parks aren't cheap and favorable first impressions are difficult when everyone comes in with different expectations. That's why I'm pretty upbeat about Disney's new pricing strategy. The company has some promising new attractions in store for 2005, and marketing itself as a value for extended stays over a pricey one-day deal is the best way to make sure that most of its guests walk away with smiles on their faces -- and not cheated by kicking into Disney's coffers along the way.

While Disney's $59.75 may seem steep, its $199 option for a full week at the parks shaves the daily price by more than half. Is this the right move for Disney? Will you be heading out to Disney World in 2005? Which new ride are you looking forward to the most? All this and more -- in the Disney discussion board. Only on Fool.com.
-------
Longtime Fool contributor Rick Munarriz has been to all six of Disney's domestic theme parks this year, and even though he has owned shares of Disney since the 1980s, he has never counted on the dividend as a get-rich-quick scheme. He also owns units in Cedar Fair. He is a member of the Rule Breakers analytical team, seeking out tomorrow's great growth stocks a day early.

The Motley Fool is the #1 rated website for people who have complex financial problems. (Hey, who doesn't?) We offer practical solutions in plain English. Advice that's neither biased nor boring. For less anxiety and more confidence, join the Fool.

MouseRight

Interesting slant on the new pricing plan from Motley Fool:
------
Motley Fool
Disney's Brilliant Hike
Monday December 6, 8:57 am ET
By Rick Aristotle Munarriz

Its annual dividend wasn't the only thing that Disney (NYSE: DIS - News) was raising last week. Come January, a one-day ticket to its Disney World theme parks in Florida will set you back a stunning $59.75.

That's a daring $5 hike, especially when you consider that some of its parks wouldn't exactly qualify as full-day experiences. Animal Kingdom has now had six years to establish itself as more than just a half-day park, yet it still closes at 5 p.m. every day. EPCOT is a more popular gated attraction, yet it still closes many of its rides shortly after dusk and won't open its country exhibits until just before lunchtime.

According to Amusement Business, just one of Disney's four Floridian parks grew its attendance last year and, with the peninsular state drawing a few tourist-chasing hurricanes in 2004, it's not as if the results are likely to have improved much this year.

Yet calling this a brilliant hike wasn't meant to be drippy with sarcasm. The move is a good one because at the same time Disney is rolling out customized ticket options that will make extended stays substantially cheaper.

That's what Disney has wanted all along. Sure, it wouldn't mind you as a day guest, but it would much rather have you as a captive customer for a week or so. Staying at one of its many onsite resorts, dining at its many restaurants, taking in the various water parks, shopping districts and golf courses -- that's where Disney would rather see you.

All around the country even the smaller regional chains are starting to flesh out their thrill havens as resorts to profit from extended stays. Last week, Cedar Fair (NYSE: FUN - News) announced that it was building overnight accommodations at its Worlds of Fun park in Kansas City, following in the footsteps of its more fleshed out destinations elsewhere.

While the industry has always been defined in terms of attendance and per capita spending, amusement parks are now starting to cash in on its patrons on the other side of the turnstile.

For Disney, longer stays also mean providing its guests the flexibility to explore its massive entertainment compound. So if your animal-averse teen isn't wowed by Animal Kingdom, perhaps the next generation DisneyQuest video arcade will do the trick. The childless couple who feel they've outgrown Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland may find a more nocturnally tantalizing experience at the company's Pleasure Island collection of nightclubs or the fine dining alternatives at the upscale resorts.

Living in Florida, it just doesn't feel right if I'm not heading out to Disney World every other month or so. Yet as many visits as I may have logged in my life I tend to discover something new every single time. That's why I always wonder if the tired family dragging itself to the parking lot at the end of the day knows that same Disney World that I do. The parks aren't cheap and favorable first impressions are difficult when everyone comes in with different expectations. That's why I'm pretty upbeat about Disney's new pricing strategy. The company has some promising new attractions in store for 2005, and marketing itself as a value for extended stays over a pricey one-day deal is the best way to make sure that most of its guests walk away with smiles on their faces -- and not cheated by kicking into Disney's coffers along the way.

While Disney's $59.75 may seem steep, its $199 option for a full week at the parks shaves the daily price by more than half. Is this the right move for Disney? Will you be heading out to Disney World in 2005? Which new ride are you looking forward to the most? All this and more -- in the Disney discussion board. Only on Fool.com.
-------
Longtime Fool contributor Rick Munarriz has been to all six of Disney's domestic theme parks this year, and even though he has owned shares of Disney since the 1980s, he has never counted on the dividend as a get-rich-quick scheme. He also owns units in Cedar Fair. He is a member of the Rule Breakers analytical team, seeking out tomorrow's great growth stocks a day early.

The Motley Fool is the #1 rated website for people who have complex financial problems. (Hey, who doesn't?) We offer practical solutions in plain English. Advice that's neither biased nor boring. For less anxiety and more confidence, join the Fool.

Mickeylover

I'm not exactly sure what these changes mean. I will be going for 4 days after Jan 1st and want to visit all the parks. Shall I purchase my tickets now? Or would it be wiser to wait after Jan. 1st for a "better deal"?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
ogryn said:
The UK has different options. I think it was posted earlier, but I'll repost just for you ;)

No doubt these tickets will be priced to reflect the exchange rate. Yes and elephants realy do fly! :hammer:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Pumbas Nakasak said:
No doubt these tickets will be priced to reflect the exchange rate. Yes and elephants realy do fly! :hammer:

Just checked 10 day ticket still on offer at Disney UK but looking at the price its 12% up on last year despite a 5% improvement in exchange rate. Marvellous. :rolleyes:

drenee

I'm prob confused!

Hi all. I'm new here. we are planning a family trip in may and i'm trying to figure out whether we should wait to buy new tickets or buy now. if i'm looking at this right i would come out better to buy now. we are staying at fort wilderness campground and would like some time just to relax there so we're thinking about 4 or 5 day tickets. it looks like this to me:
5 day PH Plus (old)259. in advance
5 day PH Plus options (new) 273 without no exp. 308 with
is this right? and is there an advance discount on the new tickets. i didn't see that listed.
thanks a bunch!!

weluvtink

I did not read through this whole thread, so pardon me if this has been addressed. I don't like the idea of having expiration dates on my tickets. We were just down in October and got rained out of two days in the parks. Why should I have to pay extra so that I don't lose days for weather reasons. I do like the idea of a one day hopper but $95 a day is a bit steep. Wouldn't it be nice if the higher ups would take a pass on their six figure bonuses every year and stop raising prices every six months. :brick: :mad: Sorry had to vent.

spoodles

drenee said:
Hi all. I'm new here. we are planning a family trip in may and i'm trying to figure out whether we should wait to buy new tickets or buy now. if i'm looking at this right i would come out better to buy now. we are staying at fort wilderness campground and would like some time just to relax there so we're thinking about 4 or 5 day tickets. it looks like this to me:
5 day PH Plus (old)259. in advance
5 day PH Plus options (new) 273 without no exp. 308 with
is this right? and is there an advance discount on the new tickets. i didn't see that listed.
thanks a bunch!!
Welcome drenee. I got the same figures as you. There is an advance purchase discount on MYW tickets, see http://www.mousesavers.com/wdwticketprices.html#premium for details.

Assuming you want the park hopping, and plus options:

The way I see this, the MYW tickets really suck you into the 7-day -- there's virtually no cost increase over the 5-day (less than $2), so long as you don't need the no exp option.

If you do need the no exp option, as far as I can tell you are always better off getting your tickets now than getting MYW's. Though the 7-day MYW comes very close.

drenee

Spoodles

Thanks. I will check out that website for advance prices (MYW). Call me OVERLY cautious but i just would like the "insurance" of the no exp option in case of rain out or one of us gets sick on the trip, etc.
Thanks so much for your quick response!!!
Getting excited about the trip!!!!
Other than a few day trips while at basketball tournaments in the area we haven't had a disney trip since '95.

spoodles

We're in similar boats. We're going in April, and haven't been since '97. Getting very excited (already), but pulling my hair out over which tickets to buy!

I can't knock MYW, you can save a bundle if you don't need all the options. I just wasn't planning on getting 7-days. Ar-r-gh, what to do...

drenee

right!!

i see now i think. i really want the 5 day ph plus but it's cheaper the old way or i could live dangerously (expiring tickets) and get the 7 day new for about 10 more bucks and go every day even if only for a short while. but then don't want to think i need to go every day. want to enjoy fort wilderness. ugh!!!!!! my brain hurts. gotta go do mama's flowers!!
thanks!

Glasgow

I think a lot of folks will be upset with this change, including me. Currently I can buy a 5 day park hopper pass for $202, but now if I want to Park Hop it's going to be $193 + 35, or $228. Now, I'm not one for park hopping due to the rides and such but we do like to have most of our dinners during the week at Epcot .. so sorry Disney, you just lost my extra money because I'm not doing that anymore.

RogueHabit

One thing I have just noticed is that booking a room at WDW from the UK still lists the Ultimate Park Hopper Ticket...

Arriving on 10/10/2005 for 14 nights
2 Adults, 2 Children
Room Type: Standard View Room
Ticket Type: Disney's Ultimate Park Hopper Ticket
Hotel and Ticket package
£1,762.00†

So does that mean that onsite guests still get the old style UPH ticket or not? I thought, from reading the thread, that this ticket had been replaced with a ticket that carrries some limitations on water parks, etc. Certainly they are still selling it as the old style ticket.

Arriving on 10/10/2005 for 14 nights
2 Adults, 2 Children
Resort stay plus tickets
£1,762.00†

Room Type: Standard View Room
All rooms have two double beds or one king-size bed, table and chairs, vanity area with sink, and bathroom. Standard View Rooms offer views of wooded landscaping, a courtyard, pool, or parking area. Non-smoking and disabled-accessible rooms are available. Amenities include in-room wall safe, voice mail, and data port on phone. Hairdryer, iron and ironing board, and refrigerator are available upon request.

Ticket Type: Disney's Ultimate Park Hopper Ticket

Disney's Ultimate Park Hopper Ticket which includes unlimited admission during your package stay to
• the Magic Kingdom Park.
• Epcot
• Disney-MGM Studios
• Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park
Disney's Water Parks (Open Seasonally):
• Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon,
• Downtown Disney
• Pleasure Island, and
• DisneyQuest Indoor Interactive Theme Park
• plus Disney's Wide World of Sports complex (excludes attractions/events separately priced)

Hey Catch. Until the changes take affect on the 2nd of Jan, everyone will still be buying the old pkgs. I don't know what the lag time will be internationally, if there is any lag time at all. We are still on the old pkg and will going in January. We have a travel agent rate so we aren't changing ours. I think as folks who have already booked look at their options, they will be switching out....

RogueHabit

Well that to me is the problem... Personally I have no issue with the change, times move on, thinsg do change.

But if I book now and the booking states a UHP which allows me to go to the water parks, etc every day and I then recieve a pass that only allows 7 visits then I'll be pretty upset.

I mean if you're booking for 11 months time and the changes are known now then I would expect the bookings to reflect then, not now. Heaven knows they usually do, i.e. the UK 10 day pass is updated with next years prices way in advance and you have to by the pass for the period you're going in.

Anyway, it's a minor point, I just really wonder if the UHP is staying for onsiote guests as I haven't seen a definitive answer to that yet.

In the mina the new structure is probably going to save me money, which HAS to be good. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom