News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

__r.jr

This is where I get impatient with Disney fans. After all the talk about IP, brands, and mergers, you should instinctively know the answer to this question by now.

I accept it but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

You have to "settle" because Disney is going to give its customers and consumers exactly what they want, and apparently that translates to more studio IP everywhere possible.

At the cost of obliterating the theme in theme parks. The very thing that garnered the recognition and reputation they now rely on so heavily and arrogantly.

And this is likely just the beginning, so get ready.

And I will continue to hold them accountable to the standards, ones they so regularly tout, because of what was once a core principle has now been abused as a vessel to input anything so long as it suits their own interest.

D

Deleted member 107043

And I will continue to hold them accountable to the standards, ones they so regularly tout, because of what was once a core principle has now been abused as a vessel to input anything so long as it suits their own interest.

And that's your choice to make, but you'll be left behind clinging to your personal wants and desires for Disneyland while the company has moved on from Walt's original vision. Since Disney doesn't design and build to our specifications you can either go with the new normal or jump ship. Fans can't keep kicking and screaming against the evolution of Disney Parks forever and ever. Well they can, but what's the point in doing that?

Last edited by a moderator:

TROR

And that's your choice to make, but you'll be left behind clinging to your personal wants and desires for Disneyland. Since Disney doesn't design and build to our specifications you either go with new normal or jump ship. Fans can't keep kicking and screaming against the evolution of Disney Parks forever and ever. Well they can, but what's the point in doing that?
I'd hardly consider reverting back to the practices that caused DCA to fail in 2001 as "evolution" but you do you

D

Deleted member 107043

I'd hardly consider reverting back to the practices that caused DCA to fail in 2001 as "evolution" but you do you

Noooo... I'm not endorsing what Disney is doing. I'm arguing that it doesn't care about fans complaining endlessly when the results prove that they are making highly profitable business decisions. We might as well get used to it, because there's no turning back.

__r.jr

Fans can't keep kicking and screaming against the evolution of Disney Parks forever and ever. Well they can, but what's the point in doing that?

Because these parks are more than means of financial gain. They are works of art. Cultural institutions that represent Americana and history.

Noooo... I'm not endorsing what Disney is doing. I'm arguing that it doesn't care about fans complaining endlessly when the results prove that they are making highly profitable business decisions. We might as well get used to it, because there's no turning back.

But you are tolerating it.

The parks are for profit enterprise yes, but it was built on Walt's promise that it would never gouge guests. You could trust them. Now they are changing how they see guests and run the business for greed. That will destroy it. Becoming like everything else, nothing special.

By infusing established IP and nothing more the parks turn into glorified Disney stores, becoming slaves to popular culture. Conditioning guests to care nothing but the latter because they are were never taught to care for anything else.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

Because these parks are more than means of financial gain. They are works of art. Cultural institutions that represent Americana and history.

To you. Understand that I get it, otherwise I wouldn't be here. However I don't think it's realistic to have a continuous IP pity party when IP content and expansion at the parks is literally baked into the business model now after the Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products segment announcement this week.

But you are tolerating it.

Yes and no. I think it stinks, so I don't visit anymore. In fact I haven't been to a Disney park since the summer of 2015, and I have no plans to visit in the future. Of course I'll go eventually, but I find I'm less passionate about the parks now.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

You have to "settle" because Disney is going to give its customers and consumers exactly what they want, and apparently that translates to more studio IP everywhere possible.
With all due respect, Hans, I don't think Disney is actually giving the customers what they want at all, and are instead telling the customers what they want.

I can't imagine that any fan from any point of life was actively clamoring for a GOTG re-skin of TOT (or GOTG in Epcot), a Pixar overlay of PP, or any of the other quick-fix IP-bandaids that WDI has been trotting out.

If anything, I believe this is a case of Chapek and Iger telling WDI, "we're going to keep shoving IP into the parks because its what we want the public to want, it will increase our merch sales, and we'll paint it in such a way that says we're 'listening' to our audience."

I always go back to the famous Henry Ford quote where he said, "If I asked the customer what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse."

I would be flabbergasted to find a single person who got off CS and said to themselves, "you know, this was a fun ride and all, but what would really make it awesome was if they threw in some static Incredibles characters and laser effects!"

Last edited:

__r.jr

To you. Understand that I get it, otherwise I wouldn't be here. However I don't think it's realistic to have a continuous IP pity party when IP content and expansion at the parks is literally baked into the business model now after the Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products segment announcement this week.

You presume IP as a whole should be cause for objection when being implemented in the parks. It is not, so therefor no pity party thrown.

I will praise it when executed with coherent thought and purpose i.e. Indiana Jones in Adventureland, Star Wars in Tomorrowland. I will also scrutinize it when done in such a contrived and thoughtless manner i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy in Hollywood Land and in Future World, Pixar in Paradise Pixar Pier.

Silvia21

True. Or they could just be closing down ITTBAB to get a head start on whatever will be going in that part of Marvel land without losing very much capacity. (How many people go in there anyway?)
According to a cast member, ITTBAB is going down for "refurbishment" starting on 3/19. But that doesn't make sense since it's not listed anywhere to go down for refurbishment. Which makes me believe the rumour that it is closing is in fact true.

djlaosc

Any chance that the Wheel could open earlier than June?

It's taken two weeks to paint half of it, so another two weeks to paint the other half - it took them a week to take down the gondolas, so a week to put up the gondolas, then a week of testing - is there any reason why this couldn't open April 13th with Pixar Fest? Would it be impossible to get guests from the paths to the wheel safely?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

You presume IP as a whole should be cause for objection when being implemented in the parks. It is not, so therefor no pity party thrown.

I will praise it when executed with coherent thought and purpose i.e. Indiana Jones in Adventureland, Star Wars in Tomorrowland. I will also scrutinize it when done in such a contrived and thoughtless manner i.e. Guardians of the Galaxy in Hollywood Land and in Future World, Pixar in Paradise Pixar Pier.

LOL no one here asking you to object or praise anything. If you don't like what Disney is doing, fine. If you love it that's fine too. Scrutinize all you want, but to me it's pointless to go online and dissect it endlessly when Disney has made it clear that it intends to go full steam with the IP everywhere and always strategy whether there is consistent thematic integrity or not.

__r.jr

LOL no one here asking you to object or praise anything. If you don't like what Disney is doing, fine. If you love it that's fine too. Scrutinize all you want, but to me it's pointless to go online and dissect it endlessly when Disney has made it clear that it intends to go full steam with the IP everywhere and always strategy whether there is consistent thematic integrity or not.

Then don't mind me while I'll "complain" then.

Curious Constance

Chill. It isn't that serious.
If want to look at the big picture and realize this is just another step in the wrong direction for society it's actually very serious. ;)

Our society is becoming increasingly commercial and addicted to pop culture. Everything is cheapening all around us. The dumbest people are being catered to at the expense of us all. No one cares about history or being creative or unique anymore. They just want the new Star Wars action figure (@phruby burn) and Jack Skellington sipper. Hollywood and business is controlled by an elite few who are shoving their ridiculous agendas down everyone's throats. And they're just gulping it up.

So if you think about it, this is catastrophic. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom