News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You could be right. Ant man would feel organic there. Would definitely prefer something where we re moving on a track of some sort.

Me too, but if the goal is a short term attraction until they can finally start construction on the full land, this would be the way to do it.

But that is all if the rumor that this very new poster claims is true. And I say at this point that is a big IF. We still don't know the source of the rumor.

mickEblu

Me too, but if the goal is a short term attraction until they can finally start construction on the full land, this would be the way to do it.

But that is all if the rumor that this very new poster claims is true. And I say at this point that is a big IF. We still don't know the source of the rumor.

True. Or they could just be closing down ITTBAB to get a head start on whatever will be going in that part of Marvel land without losing very much capacity. (How many people go in there anyway?)

britain

I mean the optimistic spirit of Wakanda is very much in line with “We can only begin to dream about what is possible, both scientifically, and for humankind culturally” type of vision that Tomorrowland originally had. It’s only that it comes from African roots rather than Eisenhower’s America that it looks foreign on the surface.

They very nearly made Tomorrowland a “Best of” Star Wars land. I think Wakanda would actually get the land back on track much better than any other proposals out there.

...Even better than a Stark Expo (paid for by Stark's wealth from the weapons industry).

...Even better than the movie Tomorrowland (which felt very pessimistic despite its message about optimism)!

D

Deleted member 107043

I mean the optimistic spirit of Wakanda is very much in line with “We can only begin to dream about what is possible, both scientifically, and for humankind culturally” type of vision that Tomorrowland originally had. It’s only that it comes from African roots rather than Eisenhower’s America that it looks foreign on the surface.

They very nearly made Tomorrowland a “Best of” Star Wars land. I think Wakanda would actually get the land back on track much better than any other proposals out there.

...Even better than a Stark Expo (paid for by Stark's wealth from the weapons industry).

...Even better than the movie Tomorrowland (which felt very pessimistic despite its message about optimism)!

At this point fans should be willing to embrace anything on the table for that section of Disneyland if it has a cohesive and relatable story. Since 1955 WDI has repeatedly demonstrated that it lacks the talent to articulate a literal prediction of the future while simultaneously entertaining the masses.

__r.jr

Since 1955 WDI has repeatedly demonstrated that it lacks the talent to articulate a literal prediction of the future while simultaneously entertaining the masses.

I wouldn't go that far.

Pardon this interruption of the thread topic, New Tomorrowland of 1967 a "World on the Move" is considered to be the best iteration of the land. Beginning with the biggest expansion of the park's history then with the Matterhorn Bobsleds, the ALWEG Monorail and the Submarine Voyage through Liquid Space in 1959 to culminating with the final addition of Space Mountain in 1977.

It was an exploration of concepts that touched on inner space, outer space, liquid space, progression of electricity and transportation. It was a wonderland of sleek, kinetic edutainment and became the most popular land in the park.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I wouldn't go that far.

Pardon this interruption of the thread topic, New Tomorrowland of 1967 a "World on the Move" is considered to be the best iteration of the land. Beginning with the biggest expansion of the park's history then with the Matterhorn Bobsleds, the ALWEG Monorail and the Submarine Voyage through Liquid Space in 1959 to culminating with the final addition of Space Mountain in 1977.

It was an exploration of concepts that touched on inner space, outer space, liquid space, progression of electricity and transportation. It was a wonderland of sleek, kinetic edutainment and became the most popular land in the park.

No doubt, however today Disneyland Resort exists more or less to be a vehicle for peddling the company's Studio IP. Therefore it's almost certain Disney would never consider investing in a reality based science and technology theme for the next Tomorrowland, so why not Wakanda? I'm not advocating a Wakanda takeover of TL, just saying it might as well be on the table if we're hypothesizing about what could be next for that section of the park.

Last edited by a moderator:

October82

I would add that this view on the future was executed beautifully with EPCOT Center in '82 as well and many of those ideas could have translated directly to the Tomorrowlands at other parks. The notion of a "fantasy" Tomorrowland comes about in the 90s, and it is those takes on the concept that have largely failed (DLP's Discoveryland being the notable exception).

__r.jr

No doubt, however today Disneyland Resort exists more or less to be a vehicle for peddling the company's Studio IP. Therefore it's almost certain Disney would never consider investing in a reality based science and technology theme for the next Tomorrowland, so why not Wakanda? I'm not advocating a Wakanda takeover of TL, just saying it might as well be on the table if we're hypothesizing about what could be next for that section of the park.

I don't believe Disney would commit such a dire decision on one of the original realms of the park. If a widely recognized, highly financially lucrative space opera film franchise that transcends 4 decades didn't takeover Tomorrowland it stands to good reason no other IP could. The notion was tossed around several times sure but it was ultimately decided against because it was deemed not justifiable to the franchise and not ambitious enough. And one could imagine that would apply to any respectable IP. But then again, Pixar, also massively successful in the same aspects, is being integrated with no ambition but being shoehorned. So go figure.

To circle back into the thread topic, Star Wars and Avatar are/have being given new attraction builds with next generation technological advancements accompanied with state of the art audio animatronics in painstaking set designs, actual environments to support it thematically, deep storytelling and with tremendous amount of place-making. (Themed design placement and coexistence in their respective parks notwithstanding.)

Toy Story Land is being given a lightly themed coaster with a re-themed cloned spinner. Pixar Pier an overlay by the films franchise's charterers in means of static figures and contrived existences. Marvel, as of now, a forced overlay with only a gain via substantial animatronic. Why the disconnect amongst all these IP franchises? Why as fans, no matter what brand of family, do we have to settle for less while others are given more? All have experienced massive financial successes and hold cultural resonance. Some arguably more than others but one would think just in spite of that, why are they not being scrutinize with creative care and execution in the same vain equally?

Pixar has proven itself and deserves better. Disney is capable of doing better. It's just a shame, with a small fraction of exception, Pixar in the parks amounts to nothing more than carnival rides with characters slapped on them.

D

Deleted member 107043

I would add that this view on the future was executed beautifully with EPCOT Center in '82 as well and many of those ideas could have translated directly to the Tomorrowlands at other parks. The notion of a "fantasy" Tomorrowland comes about in the 90s, and it is those takes on the concept that have largely failed (DLP's Discoveryland being the notable exception).

Not to take this topic further off track, but I have to say that as epic and high-minded as Disney's aspirations were those areas all relied heavily on theatrics and set dressing. Tomorrowland '67/EPCOT Center weren't anymore authentic representations of "the future" than Frontierland or Liberty Square are of the American past. That said, I do admire Disney for trying. Back then WDI was incredibly ambitious and was given permission and time to do things that Disney leadership would never approve today. The current scope and speed of change at Disney's parks is unprecedented.

Which brings me to Paradise Pier. On the one hand, even with its shortcomings, they at least made an attempt to give the impression of a 1920s seaside pier. It wasn't meticulously detailed or authentic, but everyone understood the story, and it followed the park's California theme. TWDCo is positioning Disneyland Resort to appeal to the least discriminating audience, and they aren't even trying to hide it with Pixar Pier.

britain

Whatever aesthetic they choose for Tomorrowland, it needs to blend effortlessly with Space Mountain. Otherwise we're stuck in the same place of an inconsistent vision of the future.

Perhaps inconsistent, but at least Wakanda is a place where diverse styles are welcome. A singular aesthetic, no matter how brilliant, cannot unify a land for very long. Sooner or later, new tenants take up residence in the neighborhood. So your overall theme better be flexible enough to accommodate eclectic aesthetics.

1521310650476.png

D

Deleted member 107043

Toy Story Land is being given a lightly themed coaster with a re-themed cloned spinner. Pixar Pier an overlay by the films franchise's charterers in means of static figures and contrived existences. Marvel, as of now, a forced overlay with only a gain via substantial animatronic. Why the disconnect amongst all these IP franchises?

This is where I get impatient with Disney fans. After all the talk about IP, brands, and mergers, you should instinctively know the answer to this question by now. Just look at all the disconnects in Tommorrowland right now, and it's been that way for at least a decade.

Why as fans, no matter what brand of family, do we have to settle for less while others are given more? All have experienced massive financial successes and hold cultural resonance.

You have to "settle" because Disney is going to give its customers and consumers exactly what they want, and apparently that translates to more studio IP everywhere possible.

Pixar has proven itself and deserves better. Disney is capable of doing better. It's just a shame, with a small fraction of exception, Pixar in the parks amounts to nothing more than carnival rides with characters slapped on them.

And this is likely just the beginning, so get ready.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom