News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TROR

Regarding the Buzz churro stand - that churro stand has always sat in front of Midway Mania. They separated the Pixar Pier into different themed neighborhoods, and the churro stand across from TSMM sits in the Toy Story neighborhood. Therefore it needed a Toy Story theme and couldn’t have been Coco related
Ah yes. That makes sense. The designs of Pixar Pier are real sticklers for theme.

D

Deleted member 107043

Again the existing parks advertise themselves. New offerings are going to be advertised though traditional ads....

I'm guessing that under the restructuring announced today that will change in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

__r.jr

As Bob Chapek, formerly president of Disney Consumer Products, was supposedly tasked with getting Imagineering, who allegedly couldn't seem to build anything on time or within budget, under control. This could very well be the result of tightening the lease too much and explain quite a lot of what we are seeing; from how it seems to continue to be in-development while being constructed, to it looking cheaply done. And so I am thinking he is the person who should receive the most blame.

The writing has been on the wall. It's evident given the last decade. (That still doesn't mean Walt Disney Imagineering gets a pass.)

Just the same, over these last few years, these changes from corporate leaders either don't comprehend or don't care why or what made Disney theme parks so incredibly special from the very beginning.

The Parks and Resorts division should not be regarded as amplified Disney retail stores with high admission prices.

These establishments represent exuberance of history, fantasy, themed design, urban planning and entertainment art.

DanielBB8

Let's face it, Disney Parks are constantly used to advertise new movies, TV shows, or whatever else Disney is making, but never do we ever see movies now advertise Disneyland's newest offerings and rarely do we see a television special truly showcasing the latest expansion to the parks. I hope we get a great TV special for Galaxy's Edge with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega hosting it, but I highly doubt we will.
I find it amazing that you missed the ABC Holiday Specials that used to be the annual Christmas parades. Last year, Disney released 2 holiday specials back to back within one month apart filmed in Disneyland and Walt Disney World. The specials are otherwise known as infomercials.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ow-app-before-it-premieres-on-disney-channel/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...isney-parks-specials-2017-holiday-season/amp/

“ABC Announces 2 Disney Parks Specials for 2017 Holiday Season”

“They join co-host, Jesse Palmer, to kick off the holiday season in a way only Disney can, showcasing incredible music performances, special appearances and some unforgettable Disney magic moments including an extraordinary castle lighting spectacular from Disney Parks around the world – traveling the globe from Lake Buena Vista, Florida, and Anaheim, California, to Paris, Shanghai and Hong Kong.”

Maybe watch and you should visit the parks.

SMLR

current update:
3DEFCCB4-D21F-4630-B692-FAEF3E2E7FDB.jpeg
09E0F3E0-2240-4660-BB9F-E65CBC64412C.jpeg

dweezil78

Oh so nothing actually real? Meh. I'm sticking to my argument that they're not actually producing anything based off the parks. I mean, they didn't even do an hour long special showing off Avatar land at DAK and that's ridiculous to me.

You realize it's the year 2018, yes? Why on earth would any company today, let alone one like Disney, blow their budgets on a bloated TV special with D-list celebrities and bad musical numbers when they can more effectively reach people online with more focused, targeted content??? Instead of people being relatively clueless about a Disney project until it's open, Disney (and all the park geeks like us) are keeping others informed throughout it's development and construction cycle, providing all sorts of content (video, photos, blog updates, live streams, press days) along the way via official sources and social media. Plus once soft/press openings take place, the internet is literally flooded with all sorts of great third party content as well. Doing that in the form of a TV extravaganza just makes no sense at all. (They do still save that stuff for big anniversaries though, like Disneyland's 60th).

I say this a lot around here, so not to beat a dead horse, but people really seem to just disregard how much media consumption has changed since the park opened in 1955.

TROR

You realize it's the year 2018, yes? Why on earth would any company today, let alone one like Disney, blow their budgets on a bloated TV special with D-list celebrities and bad musical numbers when they can more effectively reach people online with more focused, targeted content??? Instead of people being relatively clueless about a Disney project until it's open, Disney (and all the park geeks like us) are keeping others informed throughout it's development and construction cycle, providing all sorts of content (video, photos, blog updates, live streams, press days) along the way via official sources and social media. Plus once soft/press openings take place, the internet is literally flooded with all sorts of great third party content as well. Doing that in the form of a TV extravaganza just makes no sense at all.

I say this a lot around here, so not to beat a dead horse, but people really seem to just disregard how much media consumption has changed since the park opened in 1955.
I take it you've never watched any of the Disney Park documentary specials showcasing the behind the scenes work that goes into creating attractions like Disney's Imagineers, The Making of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, or Building a Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest.

dweezil78

I take it you've never watched any of the behind the scenes documentary-esque Disney Park specials likeDisney's Imagineers, The Making of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, or Building a Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest.

Of course I have, I love them. Two of those are made by Travel/Discovery though and as far as I know were not funded at all by Disney (at least not directly -- otherwise they'd have to disclose that somewhere which I don't believe is the case). The Twilight Zone special, while nice, is just not something that fits in as a company sponsored TV special anymore. PR/social media now does that kind of heavy lifting thru interviews with Imagineers during press junkets, concept art, behind-the-scenes updates, etc. It all gets out there, but not in the form of a network TV special. Audiences are savvier today and are more apt to read an interview, listen to a podcast, etc.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You realize it's the year 2018, yes? Why on earth would any company today, let alone one like Disney, blow their budgets on a bloated TV special with D-list celebrities and bad musical numbers when they can more effectively reach people online with more focused, targeted content??? Instead of people being relatively clueless about a Disney project until it's open, Disney (and all the park geeks like us) are keeping others informed throughout it's development and construction cycle, providing all sorts of content (video, photos, blog updates, live streams, press days) along the way via official sources and social media. Plus once soft/press openings take place, the internet is literally flooded with all sorts of great third party content as well. Doing that in the form of a TV extravaganza just makes no sense at all. (They do still save that stuff for big anniversaries though, like Disneyland's 60th).

Of course I have, I love them. Two of those are made by Travel/Discovery though and as far as I know were not funded at all by Disney (at least not directly -- otherwise they'd have to disclose that somewhere which I don't believe is the case). The Twilight Zone special, while nice, is just not something that fits in as a company sponsored TV special anymore. PR/social media now does that kind of heavy lifting thru interviews with Imagineers during press junkets, concept art, behind-the-scenes updates, etc. It all gets out there, but not in the form of a network TV special. Audiences are savvier today and are more apt to read an interview, listen to a podcast, etc.

Great points, audiences today are not tied to a single medium, the TV. As such Disney would rely less and less on that medium for getting the message out for new park offerings. For example I just saw a new "ad" for SW:GE at the movies tonight.

DanielBB8

Social media like Facebook and YouTube constantly live stream the latest Disney parks premieres like fireworks, parades, and attractions like Avatar, Guardians Mission Breakout and more. If you are concerned about movies, no less than “Saving Mr Banks” and “Tomorrowland” featured Disneyland or Disneyland attractions. Upcoming movies will be advertising for future and existing attractions with Jungle Cruise and Mary Poppins. Will they add Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and a Mary Poppins attraction at the Disney parks. Their ABC Holiday spectaculars will continue to advertise their newest park offerings and I’m sure Star Wars Land will get something. Disney doesn’t lack advertising prowess, but they don’t live in the past of the sole television special.

DanielBB8

Of course I have, I love them. Two of those are made by Travel/Discovery though and as far as I know were not funded at all by Disney (at least not directly -- otherwise they'd have to disclose that somewhere which I don't believe is the case).
If Thor wants to watch the latest Disney specials produced by HGTV and Food Channel, he could get them from YouTube as well.

Curious Constance

@George Lucas on a Bench

MiceAge ripped off your Roller Coaster Tycoon comparison

"But here’s where things fall a bit flat. Did you ever play Rollercoaster Tycoon? These new fast food joints look like boxes plopped down in a carnival. Perhaps it’s just the concept art, but the images remind me a lot of the punny DCA 1.0 “design by sign” aesthetic."

Ismael Flores

The colour isn’t so bad seeming now that I have more context. Hard to tell with the dark of the scaffolding. I assume they finish one half, then rotate wheel?
that blue color reminds me of the blue that was used in the Pier when the park first opened. It is not an ugly color but i don't care for it when it is used too much. Also as the color ages it starts getting an ugly yellowish tint which makes it look dirty.

I really which they had gone with a more vibrant blue for the Ferris wheel

It seems as if someone said,

we have a lot of red paint left from the Ferris wheel why don't we use it for the Coaster tubes, then someone realized that they had barrels of the ugly blue paint from the scream tubes and decided to use it on the Ferris wheel.

They basically just flipped colors

Last edited:

Professortango1

Regarding the Buzz churro stand - that churro stand has always sat in front of Midway Mania. They separated the Pixar Pier into different themed neighborhoods, and the churro stand across from TSMM sits in the Toy Story neighborhood. Therefore it needed a Toy Story theme and couldn’t have been Coco related

That's the Churro Stand from Bugs Land being moved to replace the Paradise Pier Churro Stand. And themeing it to Pixar or Toy Story isn't the problem, the problem is how they did it. Buzz's Churro's is like plopping a generic ugly hot dog cart in Fantasyland and calling it Elsa's Hot Dogs with a cut out of Elsa. Sure, Elsa fits Fantasyland, but the cart doesn't nor does Elsa fit the stand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom