News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Then don't mind me while I'll "complain" then.

Do you believe your "complaining" online is going to change the situation or is this "complaining" really like therapy for you?

The point I think Hans was making is that no matter how much "complaining" is done online by the fandom its not going to translate into Disney making changes in business decisions that the fandom would approve of.

__r.jr

Do you believe your "complaining" online is going to change the situation or is this "complaining" really like therapy for you?

You presume me complaining is all I've done to express dissatisfaction from the decisions the company has conducted.
However this is a Disney theme park forum correct?

I am arguing for the artistic and thematic integrity that is being compromised. In doing so doesn't make one upset or conduct oneself by doing nothing more other than what others view as complaining.

My point is that the whole contrivance of a theme park, its big defining characteristic, is theme.
What I just can't comprehend why so many fans dismiss it as irrelevant and cheer on Disney straying from it.

George Lucas on a Bench

Paradise Pier expectations:

8ae8140ddd4d3dccf862add24fe9c996.jpg

Reality:

download.jpeg

Ugh.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You presume me complaining is all I've done to express dissatisfaction from the decisions the company has conducted.
However this is a Disney theme park forum correct?

I am arguing for the artistic and thematic integrity that is being compromised. In doing so doesn't make one upset or conduct oneself by doing nothing more other than what others view as complaining.

My point is that the whole contrivance of a theme park, its big defining characteristic, is theme.
What I just can't comprehend why so many fans dismiss it as irrelevant and cheer on Disney straying from it.

To what end though? While this is a Disney theme park forum, to which this same topic is discussed endlessly, it doesn't translate into reversal by Disney. So if this is just discussing the same topic over and over on the latest project that is perceived as straying, then its really just therapy. Basically its just yelling into an echo chamber.

__r.jr

To what end though? While this is a Disney theme park forum, to which this same topic is discussed endlessly, it doesn't translate into reversal by Disney. So if this is just discussing the same topic over and over on the latest project that is perceived as straying, then its really just therapy. Basically its just yelling into an echo chamber.

There are far important interests in life than theme parks sure. However everyone here dedicates some time out of their life to discuss and debate the things they like and don't like about Disney theme parks. There's nothing wrong with having unimportant interests such as.

Although, to anyone who has read these and other Disney fan forums for any number of years, there is nothing at all surprising about these sorts of discussions -- including the posts that attempt to negatively label the thread and dismiss the personal involvement of its participants.

In regards to discussing the same topic repeatedly, and I do believe @Professortango1 stated it best, "The same reason people still discuss literature with a critical eye or review 20 year old movies on youtube. People like to discuss art. Criticism is what helps shape future art, even if the work being discussed is set in stone."

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There are far important interests in life than theme parks sure. However everyone here dedicates some time out of their life to discuss and debate the things they like and don't like about Disney theme parks. There's nothing wrong with having unimportant interests such as.

Not sure where this came from. But ok...

Although, to anyone who has read these and other Disney fan forums for any number of years, there is nothing at all surprising about these sorts of discussions -- including the posts that attempt to negatively label the thread and dismiss the personal involvement of its participants.

In regards to discussing the same topic repeatedly, and I do believe @Professortango1 stated it best, "The same reason people still discuss literature with a critical eye or review 20 year old movies on youtube. People like to discuss art. Criticism is what helps shape future art, even if the work being discussed is set in stone."

The forums that discuss those topics are typically isolated to those that have the same interest in mind. The internet and society as a whole has become an echo chamber.

For example this forum, the criticism that is expressed toward these projects don't or won't make its way back to Disney management. So these discussions won't shape the future of projects in the parks or the art that we dedicate our time to. Its really just discussing with like minded individuals with no chance of ever effecting anything.

The only way these type of discussions will ever affect the course of direction in the parks is if somehow these discussions can have a direct effect to the bottom line. Until then it again is just screaming into an echo chamber.

D

Deleted member 107043

If want to look at the big picture and realize this is just another step in the wrong direction for society it's actually very serious. ;)

Our society is becoming increasingly commercial and addicted to pop culture. Everything is cheapening all around us. The dumbest people are being catered to at the expense of us all. No one cares about history or being creative or unique anymore. They just want the new Star Wars action figure (@phruby burn) and Jack Skellington sipper. Hollywood and business is controlled by an elite few who are shoving their ridiculous agendas down everyone's throats. And they're just gulping it up.

So if you think about it, this is catastrophic. :)

Yep, which is partly why I rarely indulge in the parks much anymore.

Scrutinizing Disney's every move on the internet is fun, but if you're upset about the direction the parks are headed but refuse to alter your spending habits with The Mouse then why bother complaining?

The only way these type of discussions will ever affect the course of direction in the parks is if somehow these discussions can have a direct effect to the bottom line. Until then it again is just screaming into an echo chamber.

This.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

Why does it matter how much we discuss a topic or how much we express unapproval for upcoming projects?

Yeah I dislike how that always seems to be the end game of a lot of these discussions. There will be like pages of disagreements back and forth (which is fine). But it usually ends with one party telling the other to stop complaining. Considering this is a forum to discuss these topics, there really isn’t any value in that statement. It’s just a convenient fall back or a fancy way to end a conversation either because someone is tired of repeating themselves or because they feel like they can’t win an argument or have no desire to continue discussing.

Californian Elitist

Yeah I dislike how that always seems to be the end game of a lot of these discussions. There will be like pages of disagreements back and forth (which is fine). But it usually ends with one party telling the other to stop complaining. Considering this is a forum to discuss these topics, there really isn’t any value in that statement. It’s just a convenient fall back or a fancy way to end a conversation either because someone is tired of repeating themselves or because they feel like they can’t win an argument or have no desire to continue discussing.

*ding* *ding* *ding*

Correct.

D

Deleted member 107043

It’s just a convenient fall back or a fancy way to end a conversation either because someone is tired of repeating themselves or because they feel like they can’t win an argument or have no desire to continue discussing.

So the solution is to keep ranting about something you can't change then? Serious question. It's one thing to debate the merits of something or lack thereof, but to collectively gather to repeat the same points ad nauseum and then continue to support the business you're railing against is pointless, don't you agree?

__r.jr

Pardon me, just to be sure I comprehend this correctly.

So unless these discussions, this one in particular or in general, elicit effective change from management or corporate, they are left to be meaningless or trivial? Is one not allowed to express critical and/or analytical thoughts and feelings solely because inevitably nothing will come or change it?

The purpose of these discussion forums isn't to sway or influence Disney into changing their minds over their creative and business decisions. It's folly to think otherwise. It is to discuss, debate and share opinions on the state of affairs pertaining to anything and everything Disney theme parks related whether it be positive, negative or indifferent. If the topic is tired and pointless then fine, no one is forcing you and anybody else to engage. However please don't diminish or undermine (especially when it's labeled as just complaining) those of us that want to continue the discussion. It brings the topic to a halt and off the subject matter.

Oh and @raven24 and @mickEblu, thank you both for explaining what I failed to do.

D

Deleted member 107043

It is to discuss, debate and share opinions on the state of affairs pertaining to anything and everything Disney theme parks whether it be positive, negative or indifferent.

Agreed, and that's exactly what we are doing here.

If the topic is tired and pointless then fine, no one is forcing you and anybody else to engage.

Yet I thought the point was to discuss and debate....whether it be positive, negative or indifferent. Or is it only to discuss and debate if the opinion is aligned with your own?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pardon me, just to be sure I comprehend this correctly.

So unless these discussions, this one in particular or in general, elicit effective change from management or corporate, they are left to be meaningless or trivial? Is one not allowed to express critical and/or analytical thoughts and feelings solely because inevitably nothing will come or change it?

The purpose of these discussion forums isn't to sway or influence Disney into changing their minds over their creative and business decisions. It's folly to think otherwise. It is to discuss, debate and share opinions on the state of affairs pertaining to anything and everything Disney theme parks related whether it be positive, negative or indifferent. If the topic is tired and pointless then fine, no one is forcing you and anybody else to engage. However please don't diminish or undermine (especially when it's labeled as just complaining) those of us that want to continue the discussion. It brings the topic to a halt and off the subject matter.

Oh and @raven24 and @mickEblu, thank you both for explaining what I failed to do.

One does not have to stop discussing because one doesn't affect change so long as one accepts that nothing will change. And thus the discussion is going to be exactly the same.

Also I never diminished nor undermined anything, I merely was engaging in discussion. Or are we not allowed to express our opinions on said discussion? Or only allowed to express our opinions when they match yours?

Californian Elitist

One does not have to stop discussing because one doesn't affect change so long as one accepts that nothing will change. And thus the discussion is going to be exactly the same.

Also I never diminished nor undermined anything, I merely was engaging in discussion. Or are we not allowed to express our opinions on said discussion? Or only allowed to express our opinions when they match yours?

It’s funny, I think some of us want to ask the same questions you asked.

None of us have stated we discuss to hopefully direct Disney’s decisions. I believe it’s safe to say that’s not why we’re here, and we know that we’re not influencing Disney on some grand scale, so I’m not sure why you bring it up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It’s funny, I think some of us want to ask the same questions you asked.

None of us have stated we discuss to hopefully direct Disney’s decisions. I believe it’s safe to say that’s not why we’re here, and we know that we’re not influencing Disney on some grand scale, so I’m not sure why you bring it up.

I fully know I have no impact on any decisions Disney makes by me posting here. The only thing Disney will respond to is the almighty dollar.

So we are not allowed to discuss how our posting here will have no impact on those things we like, dislike, or are indifferent about? Shouldn't this also be part of these discussions?

Californian Elitist

I fully know I have no impact on any decisions Disney makes by me posting here. The only thing Disney will respond to is the almighty dollar.

So we are not allowed to discuss how our posting here will have no impact on those things we like, dislike, or are indifferent about? Shouldn't this also be part of these discussions?

Never said that. But I’ve noticed every time we talk about IP, you complain and sometimes try to get us to drop the subject. It’s like you’re trying to get us to stop talking about said subject because you yourself are tired of seeing it pop up in discussions.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Never said that. But I’ve noticed every time we talk about IP, you complain and sometimes try to get us to drop the subject. It’s like you’re trying to get us to stop talking about said subject because you yourself are tired of seeing it pop up in discussions.

Because there is nothing ever new brought to the discussion. Its the same loop of posts over and over, some hate it, some don't hate it, some are indifferent to it. If something new was brought to the IP discussion then it might be worth discussing. But I haven't seen anything new brought to the discussion in a very long time.

And BTW, I should also be free to express said opinion about that discussion just like you should be as well.

Californian Elitist

Because there is nothing ever new brought to the discussion. Its the same loop of posts over and over, some hate it, some don't hate it, some are indifferent to it. If something new was brought to the IP discussion then it might be worth discussing. But I haven't seen anything new brought to the discussion in a very long time.

And BTW, I should also be free to express said opinion about that discussion just like you should be as well.

If you don’t like the discussion, create a new thread, leave the forum, put us on ignore, or deal with it. You’ve got a few choices. When was the last thread you created? You have the freedom to create your own discussion thread. If you’re bored, that’s not on us.

You should be free to discuss what you want, yet you try to deter us from doing the same thing. I’m confused.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom