Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
From what it sounds like PTN will go down this fall for float repairs and such and then go down again next year to fix the big problems they have with the costumes and choreography.

It also sounds like TDA is holding on tight to PTN and not letting TDO take it.. However, and this is just my own thoughts, IF TDO really wants PTN they should make a deal with TDA that they will pay and fix the costuming issues themselves, since it's proving to be a big headache for TDA.

I wonder if the costumes wouldn't be AS BIG of an issue at TDO since the labor laws in Florida aren't as stringent as they are in California. While I understand they are still causing major issues for the performers (and I believe Disney should fix them regardless), I wonder if their rights to worker's comp, etc. would be less in FL than in CA. That being said, if it was the case, I could see TDO saying we'll take it and not actually fixing anything. But, I'm not a labor attorney so I don't know. Just a morning musing from my head.

jrhwdw

From what it sounds like PTN will go down this fall for float repairs and such and then go down again next year to fix the big problems they have with the costumes and choreography.

It also sounds like TDA is holding on tight to PTN and not letting TDO take it.. However, and this is just my own thoughts, IF TDO really wants PTN they should make a deal with TDA that they will pay and fix the costuming issues themselves, since it's proving to be a big headache for TDA.
Seeing that PTN has the highest marks in DL, I think PTN going to MK is over. Unless DL has a hard time ending MSEP. TDO should focus on MSEP's replacement, if they have the money for it...Do they?????

indybill

Disney has the money to build whatever they want; however, I think when you step back and try to understand Iger's mindset, the cutbacks make more sense. He, like every CEO, wants to retire on top. Unless things change, he will retire sometime in 2018 (I personally think it will be after DL Star Wars Land opens.) CEO's are measured on their stock performance. Disney is the worst performing stock in The Dow so far this year with the 3rd lowest dividend yield. Its why they are spending all those billions on stock buybacks. It takes a while to get a stock moving so the moves (cutbacks and buybacks) they have been making will show up in future quarters and then those future quarters will be what will turnaround the stock performance for him to retire "on top." I personally think they have it exactly backwards...invest in the parks and people will run through the turnstiles to spend money, but bean counters are bean counters and not long-range builders.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seeing that PTN has the highest marks in DL, I think PTN going to MK is over. Unless DL has a hard time ending MSEP. TDO should focus on MSEP's replacement, if they have the money for it...Do they?????

The reality is that WDW does NOT have the money for a new parade as WDW is used as an ATM for the rest of TWDC.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney has the money to build whatever they want; however, I think when you step back and try to understand Iger's mindset, the cutbacks make more sense. He, like every CEO, wants to retire on top. Unless things change, he will retire sometime in 2018 (I personally think it will be after DL Star Wars Land opens.) CEO's are measured on their stock performance. Disney is the worst performing stock in The Dow so far this year with the 3rd lowest dividend yield. Its why they are spending all those billions on stock buybacks. It takes a while to get a stock moving so the moves (cutbacks and buybacks) they have been making will show up in future quarters and then those future quarters will be what will turnaround the stock performance for him to retire "on top." I personally think they have it exactly backwards...invest in the parks and people will run through the turnstiles to spend money, but bean counters are bean counters and not long-range builders.

The problem with this strategy is the US equities market is being driven by the FED's monetary policy not economic fundamentals so once interest rates are increased even modestly there will be a huge exodus from stocks and into bonds and commercial paper etc, Right now equities are the only liquid investment vehicle with a decent return at the moment. Once that changes Disney stock will drop like a falling safe along with the REST of the market.

wdrive

I wonder if the costumes wouldn't be AS BIG of an issue at TDO since the labor laws in Florida aren't as stringent as they are in California. While I understand they are still causing major issues for the performers (and I believe Disney should fix them regardless), I wonder if their rights to worker's comp, etc. would be less in FL than in CA. That being said, if it was the case, I could see TDO saying we'll take it and not actually fixing anything. But, I'm not a labor attorney so I don't know. Just a morning musing from my head.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. There's a reason Belle doesn't wear her gown at Disneyland anymore yet still wears it at WDW

GiveMeTheMusic

Wait are you talking about the yellow one, I didn't know that. Is that costume painful to wear or something.

Belle still wears her ballgown at Disneyland, but it has become more of a sometimes dress than a 100% of the time dress. It's nice to see Belle in her villager wear on a regular basis. And yes, the Belle ballgown causes a lot of injuries.

Ag11gani

Belle still wears her ballgown at Disneyland, but it has become more of a sometimes dress than a 100% of the time dress. It's nice to see Belle in her villager wear on a regular basis. And yes, the Belle ballgown causes a lot of injuries.

Dosn't Belle come out in her village wear in Epcot regularly?

Buried20KLeague

To be honest if Mk goes dormant at night for 5 years I think it is worth it for a state of the art new parade.

That would mean 85,000,000 visitors (give or take based on 17million a year) would come through the Magic Kingdom turnstyles without a night parade offering during that time. 85 MILLION. With some significant percentage of that number being first time or unique visitors. That to me is unacceptible.

Especially for a company like Disney, which has the resources (both physical and capital) to design and build a groundbreaking new night parade in 20% of that time. If that.

GiveMeTheMusic

That would mean 85,000,000 visitors (give or take based on 17million a year) would come through the Magic Kingdom turnstyles without a night parade offering during that time. 85 MILLION. With some significant percentage of that number being first time or unique visitors. That to me is unacceptible.

Especially for a company like Disney, which has the resources (both physical and capital) to design and build a groundbreaking new night parade in 20% of that time. If that.

Walt Disney World has never been better! It's so great, I literally can't go anymore. My body can't handle its greatness.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Is it just me or was the sound system for the parades (Mainly the floats) back in the mid 90's much louder than they were today? I remember when Spectromagic returned in the 2000's it was alot more quieter.

(1998)

Not sure about that time @marni1971 may know that.
Could have been an upgrade to the system and guest complaints of it being to loud.

jrhwdw

Is it all of her ballgowns or just her meet and greet one? If its just the meet and greet one, would the F! or ACF gown be easier? Those have been used for years and I know Belle walked in the Halloween cavalcade DL had before this week, in her F! gown. Or she could get the simpler gown DHS has in BATB Live. Or they could go back to the old meet and greet gown. I know about the new look but it doesn't have to be a new gown, does it?

GiveMeTheMusic

Is it all of her ballgowns or just her meet and greet one? If its just the meet and greet one, would the F! or ACF gown be easier? Those have been used for years and I know Belle walked in the Halloween cavalcade DL had before this week, in her F! gown. Or she could get the simpler gown DHS has in BATB Live. Or they could go back to the old meet and greet gown. I know about the new look but it doesn't have to be a new gown, does it?

You're overthinking it.

Show and parade dresses can't be used in meet-n-greet situations on a regular basis for a few reasons. Typically they're much more elaborate and won't hold up to guest wear-n-tear. There are also fewer of them - resorts like DLR and WDW need dozens of dresses per day. Secondly, the look needs to be unified, which is why resorts use the same meet-n-greet costumes.

If there's an issue with Belle's new dress, it will eventually be redesigned and the revised dress will then be rolled out worldwide.

oceanbreeze77

I understand your point but disneyland went YEARS without it. Disney doesn't really care if you're getting a good nighttime experience as long as they're still making a buck. At disneyland mainstreet was a place of suffocation, even without a nighttime parade. Revenue was still up and it was not a problem for disney.

Should WDW get a new parade? Yes. Will they? IDK but it sounds like right now as long as revenue is up thats all the matters, which pushes a new parade to the back burner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom