Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I completely agree, and I will be sad to see them go when that day comes. If TDO put the money into new spectaculars every so many years, the sadness wouldnt be as great because there would be a new mindblowing show or parade for people to fall in love with. I loved Spectromagic, had it been replaced by a light parade that went to the next level i probably wouldnt be as bitter as I am about its demise. MSEP is a fine parade, but its a step back, not next level.

What the Pixie Dusters don't seem to realize is if Spectromagic had been replaced by a NEW and amazing light parade would anyone even care that Spectromagic went into Yesterland, Probably not we'd look at pictures and videos and remember it but there would be something even more amazing in its place,

The Pixie Dusters forget for the first 50 years of Disney it was Amazing being replaced by even more amazing. Now it's what's getting cut THIS week.

brb1006

why Ill never be a lifestyler: Illuminations is garbage. Music is the best part, and I have the CD

The music is phenomenal. The show does nothing for me. Most of it just spent squinting at that awful globe screen to see what animal or child is splayed across it.
Iluminations was amazing and good during it's first few years. But I do see where you two are going for. I still love the pre-show music. The show really hasn't been as good as it used to once they removed the "screaming fireworks".

Last edited:

TP2000

It's not the PLANS that are the issue it's the FUNDING for those plans which the bean counters will never approve. It's like the line in 'The Right Stuff' where the Sacred Seven are discussing funding and this classic line was spoken which is still used widely in the aerospace business.

.... I'll tell you something, and you guys too: No bucks, no Buck Rodgers

It's not that Disney does not have plans for amazing things its that the bean counters refuse to FUND THEM.

True, but the bean counters used to work for the executives. Bean counters are just accountants working in Finance. The executives, the leadership, tells the bean counters what the budget is and that $80 Million is going towards a new parade.

Unfortunately, it seems the leaders are now just bean counters without vision. Just counting beans quarter by quarter.

JediMasterMatt

As somewhat of a connoisseur of Disney Parks Nighttime Spectaculars, I would have to say it would take the most egregious amounts of Pixie Dust imbibing to attempt to condone WDW's continued status quo for their lineup as acceptable, let alone reasonable. Nostalgia is fine and dandy when you want to trot out the latest YesterEars lineup celebrating the fact that they neglected their last new and unique nighttime parade offering to the point of it's eventual destruction via apathy; but, to let nostalgia be the excuse that allows stagnation to occur - that crosses the line of unacceptability.

I love Wishes, IllumiNations, and can tolerate the vastly inferior Fantasmic on offer in Orlando; but, to accept that the core of these shows has not only remained the same as they were at inception at best and in many instances declined is to be accepting of the general malaise that plagues the entire resort.

How often is anything "plussed" in Orlando when it comes to the Show? Instead of pushing for improvement, WDW fans find solace in the sameness and avert their eyes towards the stagnation and neglect that they frequently find. Is the return after many years of a central show element like the lasers from IllumiNations a reason to think that everything is great in a show that sill is running on reduced and altered pyro?

Do you ever stop to ask yourself why those wonderful projectors that are in use 15 minutes before and after Wishes each night aren't used during the show?

The reason's for all of this is that TDO simply doesn't feel like they need to pay to have any of this TLC done and if they aren't going to pay maintain what they've already got in place - why would they pay to upgrade and replace their existing line up? If the parks are still filling up for their nostalgic lineup of offerings and the resorts are full - who can blame them? Especially when you get feedback from a large part of your core audience that it's perfectly fine to stay stuck in the mud in nostalgia-land.

"To stand still is to fall behind" - Mark Twain

BTW - I'm glad the MSEP is heading back home. That way I won't need to see the frequent tow of a float after it goes 101 in Orlando.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
True, but the bean counters used to work for the executives. Bean counters are just accountants working in Finance. The executives, the leadership, tells the bean counters what the budget is and that $80 Million is going towards a new parade.

Unfortunately, it seems the leaders are now just bean counters without vision. Just counting beans quarter by quarter.

The context is what happens when bean counters are promoted to the executive ranks they don't drop the bean counting mentality, You can always tell when a company is dying because Finance types instead of the Business types end up running the business and since they are hyperfocused on 'cost-cutting' because it's the only tool they understand you get the death spiral.

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Some of the posters here crack me up. You're a crop duster if you enjoy old parades or fireworks shows. You're a crop duster if you enjoy anything Disney because everything is doom and gloom.

I'm sure everyone wants fresh, state-of-the-art shows, parades, night time spectaculars etc, but faulting people or dismissing them because they enjoy the older parades, shows, etc is just plain silly. Let people enjoy whatever their little pixie-duster hearts enjoy.

My next trip up to Central Florida will be on Oct 1 and you can bet I'll watch this outdated parade and enjoy it one final time. But then again, I guess that's what makes me a crop duster right? ;);););)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Some of the posters here crack me up. You're a crop duster if you enjoy old parades or fireworks shows. You're a crop duster if you enjoy anything Disney because everything is doom and gloom.

I'm sure everyone wants fresh, state-of-the-art shows, parades, night time spectaculars etc, but faulting people or dismissing them because they enjoy the older parades, shows, etc is just plain silly. Let people enjoy whatever their little pixie-duster hearts enjoy.

My next trip up to Central Florida will be on Oct 1 and you can bet I'll watch this outdated parade and enjoy it one final time. But then again, I guess that's what makes me a crop duster right? ;);););)
Even I'm going to watch it one last time.

Since I don't know when it'll be back.

MKeeler

I've been thinking over a few of the themes that have popped up in this thread, particularly with regard to longevity of the different nighttime spectaculars that Disney mounts. Like always, the conflict arises with conflicting interests of nostalgia, progress and fit. We want to see something we love, but we also want new things, and they have to feel like they "fit" or belong.

With regard to the first two points, it seems like the ideal compromise is the Tokyo Disneyland approach - to treat Dreamlights like an attraction, such that it will be an expected part of the Tokyo Disneyland experience, and will be impeccably maintained and continually plussed. This satisfies nostalgia in that you know you will be able to revisit a familiar and loved parade, but also satisfies progress in that the parade is upgraded and added to on an ongoing basis.

Which brings me to the third point. In my opinion, there is something very right about having the Main Street Electrical parade back at Disneyland. While I have personally seen it in two other locations, it just feels like it fits at Disneyland. And were I in charge, it would find a permanent home at Disneyland, albeit after a substantial upgrade and refurbishment, with the continuing Dreamlights treatment. For the Magic Kingdom, I would do the same for a Spectromagic 2.0.

In fact, if TDA really wanted to spread the crowds out for the nighttime spectaculars, any chance they could figure out a way to run the Main Street Electrical Parade at Disneyland and run Paint the Night at DCA? Again, if we were to talk fit, it would seem that Paint the Night would be an excellent fit for DCA. The various floats in PTN are all well represented in DCA, apart from the Peter Pan float. Additionally, both nighttime spectaculars at DCA would be tied to color (Paint and Color). Probably no way to work it given the way that they manage crowds for World of Color, but it would definitely benefit the resort overall by pulling a few more people out of Disneyland at night.

Buried20KLeague

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom