Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

GiveMeTheMusic

Obviously some/many feel this way - that things need to be new...but how old are you, GMTM? Not personal, but when we have grown up with MSEP and are loving the nostalgia of seeing it and having our children growing up with it, it is something we miss. If you're in your twenties, then you don't have this perspective. Something new could be better, but DL Forever to me was NOT better then RDCT; did we really need Captain Jack Sparrow on POTC? And Wishes, while it could be considered stale (if you want to think of it that way) is still beautiful, and effectively timeless for this audience.

Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing. Ideally, TDO would replace/refresh things that need updating; and then maintain the things which need maintaining. And then expand. It's not like they've tapped out their potential. Add new parades in their other parks before retiring/replacing a classic.

However, in this case - I understand it probably wasn't their choice. It seems to have been TDA's parade to reclaim as they chose.

I am old enough to have grown up with MSEP (but God bless you for thinking otherwise!) and I understand the nostalgia attachment. But nostalgia is not a valid reason to keep performing a 44 year old parade. Disney can do better and has at other parks (TDL and DL in particular); WDW guests should not be kept from top-notch entertainment because of nostalgia. Both TDL and DL's light parades evoke the original EP in different ways (TDL more directly) - both are hugely successful and carry the torch to the next generation. Parades and entertainment should be ephemeral - they are not designed to last forever like attractions.

And I'm with you on Jack Sparrow. I'd cry happy tears and buy two APs for each resort if Disney announced they were overhauling Pirates to go back to its original story sans film tie-ins.

GiveMeTheMusic

Sorry but not all shows require replacing all the time. Wishes and IllumiNations are still world class entertainment offerings. The Main Street Electrical parade and Fantasmic are gems as well. I would like to see them both updated, but replaced no. Disneyland's replacements have not always been stellar either. Disneyland Forever was not as spectacular as Remember Dreams Come True. So change isn't always for the better.

Wishes and IllumiNations are not world-class offerings, sorry. They're not relics like MSEP but they are woefully outdated tech-wise.

But keep telling TDO how great they are!

mikenatcity1

Obviously some/many feel this way - that things need to be new...but how old are you, GMTM? Not personal, but when we have grown up with MSEP and are loving the nostalgia of seeing it and having our children growing up with it, it is something we miss. If you're in your twenties, then you don't have this perspective. Something new could be better, but DL Forever to me was NOT better then RDCT; did we really need Captain Jack Sparrow on POTC? And Wishes, while it could be considered stale (if you want to think of it that way) is still beautiful, and effectively timeless for this audience.

Change for the sake of change is not always a good thing. Ideally, TDO would replace/refresh things that need updating; and then maintain the things which need maintaining. And then expand. It's not like they've tapped out their potential. Add new parades in their other parks before retiring/replacing a classic.

However, in this case - I understand it probably wasn't their choice. It seems to have been TDA's parade to reclaim as they chose.

I may be alone in this- DL Forever felt more of Disney in general and less of DL which was a huge letdown to me...RDCT was absolutely wonderful!

rreading

Well I love both Wishes and Illuminations you have to admit they aren't state of the art and could be improved upon.

To be "state of the art" suggests that they need projection mapping and maybe more exciting bursts? Again, that didn't help DL forever to be a better show, and sometimes less is more. For the truly ADHD among us, we may constantly need a video display in front of us, but I've truly never though that Wishes was lacking in not having projection mapping. Leave it to our minds to construct what images we want.

Also re: updating - I'm looking forward to seeing how well they'll do at updating Fantastic! If they can do a good job with that, I'll feel more confident about other updates.

And if we as regulars are bored, to me that's more of our issue. Being married to a supermodel, their beauty becomes under appreciated as well. But she would still be beautiful.

Ideally, I'd like what DL has done in the not-too-distant past: different offerings at different times/places. Typically they showed RDCT with Magical and other seasonal offerings offered at other times. Similarly, I like the new Soarin' just fine, but I'm looking forward to the time in which we can choose to see either version. Being in TX, I'd be ok to travel to either coast to see either, but the old version is too good to discard.

GiveMeTheMusic

I may be alone in this- DL Forever felt more of Disney in general and less of DL which was a huge letdown to me...RDCT was absolutely wonderful!

Disneyland fireworks shows were always "general Disney" until RDCT, which was the first one to use ride soundtracks - specifically to celebrate the 50th. Forever was a return to form.

Personally, my favorite recent DL fireworks show was Magical. Amazing soundtrack and flying Dumbo took the cake for me. Forever is a really great show, but flying Nemo seems like a waste to me.

mikenatcity1

Disneyland fireworks shows were always "general Disney" until RDCT, which was the first one to use ride soundtracks - specifically to celebrate the 50th. Forever was a return to form.

Personally, my favorite recent DL fireworks show was Magical. Amazing soundtrack and flying Dumbo took the cake for me. Forever is a really great show, but flying Nemo seems like a waste to me.

A flying Dumbo?? I wish I could have seen that! I'll admit- the flying Nemo was eh, but when you added the lights and fog at the top of the Matterhorn, it was cool.

MUTZIE77

Well I love both Wishes and Illuminations you have to admit they aren't state of the art and could be improved upon.
I completely agree, and I will be sad to see them go when that day comes. If TDO put the money into new spectaculars every so many years, the sadness wouldnt be as great because there would be a new mindblowing show or parade for people to fall in love with. I loved Spectromagic, had it been replaced by a light parade that went to the next level i probably wouldnt be as bitter as I am about its demise. MSEP is a fine parade, but its a step back, not next level.

jrhwdw

As much as I'm disappointed in that we don't have a MK plan yet, I'm in love with those clips of MSEP in DL we saw in Inside Disney Parks today! Here's more good video of DL's MSEP that I found on YT last night!:

I'm happy for DL that the MSEP is coming home however, I don't think they need both MSEP & PTN at DLR. Unless WOC is going down for a long referb we don't know about yet. Never thought I see the day when MK didn't announce a replacement for a parade. Not even saying FOF is filling in yet. They way this is going:(Could change at any moment I know)Both MK and AK will have something missing from their nighttime lineup! Not Good IMO!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom