Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is so far from the truth. The parades don't have any effect on shopping. Cutting a parade isn't going to make people go into the stores either. I don't know why you continue to come up with these delusional statements and try and present them as facts.

It might have something to do with the fact that I have a patent or two in the 'Retail Technology' field so I've done my bit to keep shoppers in stores. Also when thousands of potential customers are looking for seating up to an hour in advance of a scheduled parade logic and common sense dictates that they are NOT spending money in the stores,

Yes WDW HAS to have A parade, At one time ALL parks in WDW had parades and in some cases MULTIPLE parades - now there is the single remaining daytime parade at WDW, Why is this? Certainly it's not guest demanding that WDW have FEWER parades.

Could it be that Merchandising was complaining about the drop in revenue during parades yet were required to have a full complement of staff and won the argument because they generate REVENUE whereas Entertainment is merely an expense... No that could never happen in MAGICal WDW.

Why was FP invented?, To keep guests in a virtual line so they would have MORE TIME TO SHOP
Why was FP+ invented ? In Staggs OWN WORDS 'To Give WDW a bigger share of the guests WALLET',
Why were benches removed ? to draw guests into the stores.

I would suggest YOU are the delusional ones as you cannot accept that WDW has over time morphed from the greatest themed entertainment and lodging complex on the planet to something which is little more than a mall with a cover charge where every square of space is evaluated on how much revenue that square foot generates compared to the rest of the facility and things will be closed if they do not adequately contribute (or negatively impact) revenue per square foot metrics.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If anything, it gives them one fewer smattering of people to hawk glowsticks and lightup doodads to...

I would love to see the revenue numbers from Main St before, after and during parades I suspect the answer is right there. Local merchants around here complain about the farmers market at one of the banks because when it's active most local businesses sales per hour are off 5-20% depending on distance from the bank.

MagicHappens1971

What if it's not a rush because the parade has already been conceptualized and designed? Food for thought.
@marni1971 said that there is a design, just hasn't gone anywhere. In my opinion it would probably still have to be rushed construction wise, even if the budget is greenlit in January. Plus they would still have to cast and do rehearsals for live performers.
There is a design ready to progress. Just needs funding.

peter11435

It might have something to do with the fact that I have a patent or two in the 'Retail Technology' field so I've done my bit to keep shoppers in stores. Also when thousands of potential customers are looking for seating up to an hour in advance of a scheduled parade logic and common sense dictates that they are NOT spending money in the stores,

Yes WDW HAS to have A parade, At one time ALL parks in WDW had parades and in some cases MULTIPLE parades - now there is the single remaining daytime parade at WDW, Why is this? Certainly it's not guest demanding that WDW have FEWER parades.

Could it be that Merchandising was complaining about the drop in revenue during parades yet were required to have a full complement of staff and won the argument because they generate REVENUE whereas Entertainment is merely an expense... No that could never happen in MAGICal WDW.

Why was FP invented?, To keep guests in a virtual line so they would have MORE TIME TO SHOP
Why was FP+ invented ? In Staggs OWN WORDS 'To Give WDW a bigger share of the guests WALLET',
Why were benches removed ? to draw guests into the stores.

I would suggest YOU are the delusional ones as you cannot accept that WDW has over time morphed from the greatest themed entertainment and lodging complex on the planet to something which is little more than a mall with a cover charge where every square of space is evaluated on how much revenue that square foot generates compared to the rest of the facility and things will be closed if they do not adequately contribute (or negatively impact) revenue per square foot metrics.

Most retail locations would be lucky to have thousands of people lined up right outside their doors waiting for a parade. Those guests waiting for the parade ARE purchasing high margin glow merchandise. They ARE purchasing high margin snacks and beverages while they wait. They ARE taking turns shopping while other members of their party hold spots. And most importantly that parade is keeping them in the park giving them more time to spend. Disney knows that without attractions and entertainment there is no reason for people to be in the park and without people in the park the profit centers will have no purpose and no profit.

And for the record, stores and merchandise has NOTHING to do with why benches were removed.

Just because you think you know everything doesn't mean you actually know anything.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
It wasn't planned.

It seems the PTNs need work doing. As does MSEP. With Disneyland's lesser evening offerings something was needed to plug the gap. They get a nightly parade. WDW has nightly fireworks. But I'm still trying to join the dots.

But has WDW really gotten to the point of cheapness that they didn't even fight to keep the parade? It appears that they simply saw a way to unload an expense, both nightly operation costs and long-term maintenance and rehab costs. I would love to know if WDW actually even wanted to keep MSEP or tried to get PTN or if they were dictated to by other parties. Of course, I understand if you don't know/can't say.

asianway

Is it just me or does anybody feel that it's weird thag OLC approached Disney and not the other way around.
the Disney of that era didnt have the capabilities to reach that far. Even now, I dont know that they have figured it out, and they still have local partners. The deal was good for both parties, long term, I dont see Disney ever signing a deal again that favored the licensee so much, but they still continue to get a check every quarter for little to no effort in addition to WDI consulting fees and in some cases splitting costs for new attractions.

Ag11gani

the Disney of that era didnt have the capabilities to reach that far. Even now, I dont know that they have figured it out, and they still have local partners. The deal was good for both parties, long term, I dont see Disney ever signing a deal again that favored the licensee so much, but they still continue to get a check every quarter for little to no effort in addition to WDI consulting fees and in some cases splitting costs for new attractions.

I have a question, what would happen if OLC ever did something with the Disney brand that Disney didn't approve of and OLC didn't cooperate, would the deal end and the resort colse. Doubt this would ever happen, just curious.

asianway

I have a question, what would happen if OLC ever did something with the Disney brand that Disney didn't approve of and OLC didn't cooperate, would the deal end and the resort colse. Doubt this would ever happen, just curious.
The contract would have provisions for remediation; however, it is in no ones best interests for that to happen as OLC is making plenty of money with their business model.

Ag11gani

It was a bit of both.

OLC finished their landfill and original plans to build a public park on the site were seen as weak. TWDC wanted to expand to the Far East but couldn't afford it theirselves.

Weak plans, well those weak plans turned into a top class theme park resort (even though the plans would have been very diffrent back then.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

It wasn't planned.

It seems the PTNs need work doing. As does MSEP. With Disneyland's lesser evening offerings something was needed to plug the gap. They get a nightly parade. WDW has nightly fireworks. But I'm still trying to join the dots.
Paint the Night isn't even 2 years old and already needs work while MSEP has been running on its last leg 6 years after refurbishment just fine. Seems to me Paint the Night wasn't to successful. Is Spectromagic wasn't destroyed we would have a definite answer unless it comes crawling out with whatever might be left of it. Doesn't seem like there going to have an empty slot, Disney Worls would never be caught dead without a light parade. Just look what they had fill in for Spectromagic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom