Out of control WDW ticket prices

jaklgreen

Amen, brother. I could not have said it better myself.

To those in favor of sky high prices, I have a legitimate question:

What is your breaking point? When will the high prices be too high for you?

Would you pay $150 a day? How about $200? $300 anyone?

At some point, something is going to just snap. I don't know what Anerican family can afford the prices as they are now without taking out a second mortgage. But somehow, people are still mobbing these parks. It is kind of hard to understand. There sure as hell ain't that many people in the precious 1%.

I am still financially recovering in January from a trip I took last September and I'm just me. I have absolutely no clue how, say, a family of five that doesn't live in a gilded, palatial mansion can pull off a weeklong trip to WDW these days.

So what is your price breaking point? How high is too high?
How we afford it is... we are a family of 4. We had only 2 kids because that is what we felt we could afford and still be able to do stuff. We are fortunate that we can live off of my husband's income but instead of me sitting on my butt I go to work after I drop the kids off at school. I work the lunch rush at a restaurant and that money goes to our vacations. We also live modestly, not too big of a house, we keep our cars forever(at least 15 years) and we only eat out on special occasions, I cook at home. We also do not go out drinking or buy coffee from starbucks etc. You would be shocked how much money people spend just on coffee and eating lunch out most days. My husband take a cup of soup and some crackers for his lunch every day. We also do not have all the latest gadgets(hubby still has a stupid phone). If the kids want something they work for it. We choose to live this way because we love to travel and love our Disney trips. We go every year plus I am able to go solo in Oct for the food and wine fest.

jaklgreen

Save your money!

national geographic channel!!!

I repeat....
national geographic channel!!!

lol
We don't go anymore. Kids are older now but when they were little (before they started school) the annual pass was much cheaper and I would go 3-4 times a week with them. We got our money's worth back then.

thomas998

Amen, brother. I could not have said it better myself.

To those in favor of sky high prices, I have a legitimate question:

What is your breaking point? When will the high prices be too high for you?

Would you pay $150 a day? How about $200? $300 anyone?

At some point, something is going to just snap. I don't know what Anerican family can afford the prices as they are now without taking out a second mortgage. But somehow, people are still mobbing these parks. It is kind of hard to understand. There sure as hell ain't that many people in the precious 1%.

I am still financially recovering in January from a trip I took last September and I'm just me. I have absolutely no clue how, say, a family of five that doesn't live in a gilded, palatial mansion can pull off a weeklong trip to WDW these days.

So what is your price breaking point? How high is too high?

Given the current crowd levels I would pay $150 a day and not bat an eye... But if they raised the prices to $300 a day I would only pay if I knew the crowds were reduced from the high price... Depending on the crowd levels I would pay $500 a day.... I would likely go less often at higher prices but I would also expect to get the same number of rides I currently get at the low prices because I would expect the crowds to be very light an not have to wait hours in lines throughout the day.

In the end $750 is probably the highest I would pay even if I were guaranteed walk on speed to every ride and attraction.

bgraham34

Given the current crowd levels I would pay $150 a day and not bat an eye... But if they raised the prices to $300 a day I would only pay if I knew the crowds were reduced from the high price... Depending on the crowd levels I would pay $500 a day.... I would likely go less often at higher prices but I would also expect to get the same number of rides I currently get at the low prices because I would expect the crowds to be very light an not have to wait hours in lines throughout the day.

In the end $750 is probably the highest I would pay even if I were guaranteed walk on speed to every ride and attraction.

Wow you must just be rolling in the money. Some of us just don't have that luxury.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ya? You mean by charging out the wazoo for their products? A 13" Mac Book Pro starts at roughly $1300 for a bare-bones system. You could get the same Windows Based laptop for several hundred dollars less. Maybe Disney is doing the same thing. Having a nice product at a price-point that matches what you get

The difference is the MacBook pro will still be usable and have a significant resale ($200-$400) value 5 years from now, the 'bare-bones' machine you will need to pay a electronics recycler $10-25 to take it away 3 years from now. I'm still using my 2006 MBP. It's no longer a 'primary' machine but it's still in use.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is just what I was about to say. The attendance numbers are kind of deceiving, because it seems that they've moved to suckering in the foreign market due to some domestic folks catching on to the bs.

Discounts to non-US customers are significant at least 1/3 off US for EU/UK prices and lower elsewhere, Ticket website is location aware so I can't quote those prices. Perhaps someone can fill in blanks for us.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
At least you will see why ticket prices increased at Uni. Heavy investment in new E ticket type rides is a good use of my admission money rather than Disney's current path. It's become so bad that we're just relieved that, as bad as it is, they're not going to just shutter Imagination. It's no wonder sponsorship for attractions is an issue. Would you want to invest millions with way the parks are currently being handled?

No but I don't think TWDC sees that because executives are not doing the 'Undercover Boss' thing like Walt INSISTED his e-staff do.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The difference is the MacBook pro will still be usable and have a significant resale ($200-$400) value 5 years from now, the 'bare-bones' machine you will need to pay a electronics recycler $10-25 to take it away 3 years from now. I'm still using my 2006 MBP. It's no longer a 'primary' machine but it's still in use.
I will second this. I have 15 year old macs that are worth $200 $300.

Lucky

Under previous ownership the Washington Redskins deliberately charged less for tickets, parking etc. than the market would bear, as an investment in the intangible asset of long-term customer goodwill and brand loyalty. As a result they had a large rabid fan base that wouldn't turn on its players and management at the first sign of poor performance. The team's current ownership basically cashed out that asset, trying to get every last dollar it can from its fans. (Parking is now $40.) They still sell out games, but the long wait list for season tickets disappeared, there are a lot more no-shows in cold or rainy weather, and fans are less patient and less well behaved when the team isn't winning than they used to be. There's less "magic" and more of a "what can I get out of this now" mentality.

Sure, Disney has a right to charge whatever prices the market will bear. But there are predictable consequences in terms of guests' expectations, attitudes and behaviors. It might not be the most profitable strategy in the long run to cash out the "magic" that Walt and his successors built over so many years.

sweetpee_1993

On my iPhone, can't seem to find the post from @psukardi mentioning the Apple products...

What a lot of people fail to realize when it comes to Apples products is the level of service I get for the premium I pay. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro. Paid a lot more for it than I ever spent for a regular Windows-based laptop. I never had a Windows-based laptop last 4 yrs. Additionally, there's the value in knowing if I have a problem I can go right up the road to the Genius Bar and get help from a live person who's first language is the same as mine. Last summer my charger stopped working. I went up to the Genius Bar and they gave me a replacement. No additional $$ to spend. This for a 3 yro MBP that was long out of warranty. I recently had a problem with one of my teens screwing up my keychain password. Took it to the Genius Bar and BAM. Fixed. No $$ spent. I pay more for Apple products because they last. Apple stands behind their products and the service is excellent. I pay more because I get more.

In contrast, I'm not really interested in returning to WDW because I don't think I get more when I pay more there these days.

goodlife78

Unfortunately it's the market example universal studios in Orlando one day pass for studio and island adventure 128$. Sea world Orlando one day ticket 82$. The thing with disney is they want u to stay there and go to all the parks so that's why u get multiple days ticket prices drop for eatch additional ticket

Kristoff

I'm still scratching my head on what exactly would make a park ticket worth $500 or even $750 a day with very little changes to the current infrastructure. I could see paying $150 for a day pass within 5 years based on the annual increase, but considering you could see the whole park in a day with normal crowds and a touring plan, I'm not sure what paying all that extra money would do, maybe being able to ride things 5+ times in a day?

Please don't take my post as a criticism for how you spend your money since who am I to tell you how to spend your money, I'm just trying to understand how you believe it would be worth that much.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On my iPhone, can't seem to find the post from @psukardi mentioning the Apple products...

What a lot of people fail to realize when it comes to Apples products is the level of service I get for the premium I pay. I have a 2010 MacBook Pro. Paid a lot more for it than I ever spent for a regular Windows-based laptop. I never had a Windows-based laptop last 4 yrs. Additionally, there's the value in knowing if I have a problem I can go right up the road to the Genius Bar and get help from a live person who's first language is the same as mine. Last summer my charger stopped working. I went up to the Genius Bar and they gave me a replacement. No additional $$ to spend. This for a 3 yro MBP that was long out of warranty. I recently had a problem with one of my teens screwing up my keychain password. Took it to the Genius Bar and BAM. Fixed. No $$ spent. I pay more for Apple products because they last. Apple stands behind their products and the service is excellent. I pay more because I get more.

In contrast, I'm not really interested in returning to WDW because I don't think I get more when I pay more there these days.

Disney has forgotten the reason they CAN charge the premium prices. For most of Disney's existence they were the high cost high value provider, Did they cost more YES, Did they provide the VALUE yes they did, Apple is currently in the same position high cost high value it's interesting that they are a miniscule portion of the PC market in the US yet they account for 1/3 of the profit from the entire market.

Disney is rapidly losing value as a vacation provider at it's current price point and service level, If WE stop going people will ask us WHY NOT "Because you guys ALWAYS GO" and many of them will go to alternate vacation spots as a result of our experiences.

disneyflush

Really? I've seen plenty of trash in WDW, and not in the garbage cans. Disney is not immune from this, sorry to break it to ya.
I don't see the correlation between your comment and my comment and how you are breaking news to me. So you ARE speaking about skin color with regard to trash? I want to understand what you are stating here and how it is a response to my comment without sounding like I'm trapping you somehow.

disneyflush said:
People are speaking more about the class of the guests and less about their skin color from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

pretty sure that applies to all high end business "workstations" and high grade laptops.

because they are build to LAST and be EFFICIENT.

I'm still scratching my head on what exactly would make a park ticket worth $500 or even $750 a day with very little changes to the current infrastructure. I could see paying $150 for a day pass within 5 years based on the annual increase, but considering you could see the whole park in a day with normal crowds and a touring plan, I'm not sure what paying all that extra money would do, maybe being able to ride things 5+ times in a day?

Please don't take my post as a criticism for how you spend your money since who am I to tell you how to spend your money, I'm just trying to understand how you believe it would be worth that much.

I think he means having more "VIP" type feeling;way less crowds, minimum wait times.. having most of the services for almost just for you.

Can we petition for this. They could do an entire season, with each episode being one Exec. going different sections of the industry.
pretty sure the top brass will never do that. Besides, Iger is too busy building his McDuck tower for his money. Or maybe polishing his giant yacht.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im loaded, I light with fivers and wipe my on £20s, its what the market cab tolerate. Id gladly pay $300 a day its pure magical, and the quick service could be $50 cause the burgers are much meatier than anywhere else. Yes signature restaurants are more expensive than most 2 and 3 star Michelin chefs, but they dont offer that unquantifiable mystic rapture that promotes unquestioning acceptance of whatever is offered.

Of course I treat all businesses and corporations with similar unquestioning devotion. Absolute roasters.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.

I think they were implying that they would pay a lot of money to have the park crowd levels reduced to a point that they could walk on rides and do what they wanted as much as they wanted with no waits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom