Out of control WDW ticket prices

Mawg

I'm going to be kind of frank here and forgive me if it offends....DISNEY IS OVERPRICED. Point blank. They get away with it because nobody does it better than them. They've built, developed, and mastered their brand. I understand people will continue to pay. I understand they are in business to make money. That doesn't mean us, as consumers, have to blindly be happy with the stinging feeling of giving your credit card info over to the Mouse.

Will I continue to pay the enormous toll for a week of bliss? YES!!! but darn it...I WILL COMPLAIN. To those who say it isn't valid, doesn't matter, it's good value, GO TO A DIFFERENT THREAD. You will never convince any one who earns their money that Disney isn't overpriced. Just isn't going to happen.

An average 1.5 hr good show in Vegas is over $100 per person. A whole day at Disney is under $100.

The local "jump" place here costs $12 hr per person, 10 hrs would be $120. You can also look at how much it would cost to spend the whole day at the movies. For all day entertainment that requires staff to maintain it, Disney seems to be cheaper. Entertainment in general is expensive.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you think Disney isn't putting enough money into the parks, vent your anger where it should go. The NFL and other sports that have sucked billions from Disney for the privilege of showing ball games on ABC. Frankly I wish ABC would stop chasing sports... they cost way to much to televise they then just pass the costs onto the advertisers that then pass them on to the customers, so whether I even watch a game or not I'm paying more for my car tires simply because some athlete is getting paid a huge salary for playing... Now that's my view as a shareholder of Disney... as for the ticket prices, raise them more. I wish they were twice as high. Or at the very least do away with the multi-day discounts. I want the park to charge so much that when I go there I don't feel like I'm at central station at rush hour.
ABC and every other network on the planet will stop chasing sports when broadcasting them becomes unprofitable. As of right now, networks that broadcast NFL would need dump trucks to make a cash deposit. People advertise during the games because they get a return on the investment. Do you honestly think for one second that Coke, Ford or Budweiser would drop their prices a single cent if their add budget went down?

Lucky

People are speaking more about the class of the guests and less about their skin color from what I can tell.
There's no reason to think that "class" is positively associated with income level or ability to pay for expensive theme park vacations or other luxury goods. In some cases it's the opposite:

...there's substantial scientific evidence that BMW drivers are some of the most aggressive and selfish on the road.
A study conducted in 2012 by researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, and the University of Toronto examined driver behavior at a four-way intersection and crosswalk on busy roads in California. Drivers were graded on criteria such as whether they cut in front of other drivers or stopped for pedestrians in a crosswalk.
In general, luxury-
car drivers were the least likely to be kind to other drivers and pedestrians, but BMW drivers earned a special mention from Berkeley researcher Paul K. Piff.
"One of the most significant trends was that fancy cars were less likely to stop," Piff told Benjamin Preston of The New York Times. "BMW drivers were the worst."

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/cars/study-bmw-drivers-are-the-worst/#ixzz2rp7WR9z8

gwhb75

MyMagic+ originally was supposed to cost about $800M. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $330M in 1982 dollars. That's how much Disney intended to spend for MyMagic+.

For comparison, a much smaller Disney company spent $1.9B to build EPCOT. Disney then proceeded to build another theme park, a water park, an entertainment district, along with adding numerous attractions and other forms of entertainment that same decade.

In 1982, the Entertainment & Recreation segment (encompassing the theme parks) profits were $130M. (By the way, profits from the rest of Disney were about $23M. Disney's financial problem wasn't with its parks and resorts; it was everywhere else within the company.)

In 2013, Parks & Resorts profits were $2.2B, about $900M in 1982 dollars.

The 1980s and 1990s gave us EPCOT, Disney-MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, DisneyQuest, Pleasure Island and numerous popular attractions such as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and Test Track.

All at a time when ticket prices tracked closely to the CPI.

The 2010s gave us New Fantasyland (about $180M in 1982 dollars), MyMagic+ ($330M), and DAK expansions including Pandora (estimated to be $800M, about $330M in 1982 dollars).

Today's investments pale in comparison to the 1980s and 1990s.

I think there are a few things we could discuss, but if we focus on two lines in what you said, then you see why they don't invest billions on WDW (in 1982 dollars):

In 1982, the Entertainment & Recreation segment (encompassing the theme parks) profits were $130M.
In 2013, Parks & Resorts profits were $2.2B, about $900M in 1982 dollars.

What this tells me is that Disney invested billions in the past and are still reaping the benefits of that investment. Now we can discuss how having this attitude is a bit myopic, but Disney still seems to be doing ok right now.

The other thing to remember is that the Entertainment and Recreation segment today has parks in multiple countries as opposed to 1982 when there was California and Florida. This shows that they are investing in the theme parks, just not the one you want them to.

Last edited:
I guess this is an "argument" that has no winners. Really it's all based on your perception of value. While I have a good time at Disney, I don't necessarily think it truly is worth the price. That being said, there is nothing like it out there which may invalidate my point...so I can see both sides. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay for a vacation every year to travel to the World. That doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it...not until I see the Magical Express desk at least ;)

thomas998

ABC and every other network on the planet will stop chasing sports when broadcasting them becomes unprofitable. As of right now, networks that broadcast NFL would need dump trucks to make a cash deposit. People advertise during the games because they get a return on the investment. Do you honestly think for one second that Coke, Ford or Budweiser would drop their prices a single cent if their add budget went down?

Absolutely. While they are all about profit, they are also concerned with market share and the ability to lower the prices isn't something they would avoid. I don't think they would drop the prices dollar for dollar based on what they saved, but they would still drop them. The only losers you would have if it ever happened would be the handful of team owners and the various women that make their living by marring stupid athletes and then divorcing them... well I guess a few divorce lawyers would also lose.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I'm curious. What "class" of people are we trying to keep out of the parks?
Because if we are talking income class, personally I know people from low income to upper middle class, who have taken trips to WDW or DL.
And if people truly believe that pricing out people/families will keep out the riff raff, then we wouldn't still have threads about ignorance, disrespect, and bad behavior of guest.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I guess this is an "argument" that has no winners. Really it's all based on your perception of value. While I have a good time at Disney, I don't necessarily think it truly is worth the price. That being said, there is nothing like it out there which may invalidate my point...so I can see both sides. Don't get me wrong, I'll pay for a vacation every year to travel to the World. That doesn't mean I'm going to be happy about it...not until I see the Magical Express desk at least ;)

I agree with this. I do think it is overpriced but I enjoy it. And continue to pay every year.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
:eek: Woah! wait... $55 dollars for a season pass.... sure beats the $108 for my local six flags season pass!
A regular Six Flags Great Adventure Season Pass is $80. ($75 when buying 4 or more.) Only the Gold Season Pass is $105. ($85 when buying 4 or more.) Both include admission to their water park and all Six Flags throughout the country.

A WDW Annual Pass with water parks is $699!

And a Disney Premier Passport for admission to both WDW and DLR? $979. :jawdrop:

Six Flags is not in the same league as Disney and doesn't pretend to be.

PrincessNelly_NJ

A regular Six Flags Great Adventure Season Pass is $80. ($75 when buying 4 or more.) Only the Gold Season Pass is $105. ($85 when buying 4 or more.) Both include admission to their water park and all Six Flags throughout the country.

A WDW Annual Pass with water parks is $699!

And a Disney Premier Passport for admission to both WDW and DLR? $979. :jawdrop:

Six Flags is not in the same league as Disney and doesn't pretend to be.

Absolutely agree, that SF and Disney aren't the same.
Personally, I don't see the value in the regular pass when parking is $22 per visit. So Gold is worth it for the savings if you plan to go more than once. And as someone without kids, buying 4 is never necessary so I never can snag it for $85.

o_O... Im sorry, did you say $979? Wow.... I can't imagine parting with $979 for a season pass anywhere... :greedy:
I need a pay raise :hilarious:

Cesar R M

Is that the Spanish version of "YOLO"?
aah no.
cholos are "gang" type.
You could say its the Latino version of the stereotype black "ganstah" or "redneck biker" for whites(lol).

Just because the name "Disney" appears in front of a business or theme park does not mean that you handle them all in the same way.
It still sort of "represents" disney.

Disney raises prices, Universal raises prices, it goes hand and hand.

If you cannot afford it or don't think you're getting proper value, don't go, simple as that.

How much did a car cost in 1960? How much do cars cost now? I mean, you can make any analogy that you want, but as other have said, Disney is not a necessity, you don't need it to survive,( but others can and will debate that, ;)), I just don't see any valid reason to bring up the price of tickets, it is what it is.

Jimmy Thick- And the price people are willing to pay no matter what.

Jimmy, you again are wrong in the comparison department.
Car prices have gone up not just "because" they "could".
Cars are thousands times safer (aka more value) than older cars...
Cars are also more efficient gas wise. Cars now all have radios, almost all of them have A/C and other extras.
So...Does disney has more "requirements" now than back then? I'm pretty sure you pay now for everything that seemed "extra" back then.. that includes food, water, services, transportation.

Does Disney has more value now than back then? Maybe.. But Consumers are paying stratospherically more.
Prices also usually go up/down according to competition and inflation and quality.. the only one park that seems to skip away from this model is; WDW (less maintenance, less services, more restrictions, higher price).
I hope this changes once Avatar/StarWarsLand is completed.

You are correct in Disney being not a necessity, but then people debate if cell phones are a necessity now, or internet, or cars.. (for almost all the jobs that pay well, you sure do need them.. so its a "requirement" now)

Overall I think the CPI is broke or manipulated for government's own gain.

According to CPI, we haven't had an inflation problem since the 80s.

When I look around my normal life.. I see prices skyrocketing over the last 10 years.

Anyone look at the price of a candy bar in your local 7-11 these days? What used to be .50 is like 1.29 or 1.50 - that is twice the jump the CPI would infer.

Overall I think the CPI is a poor indicator of what prices SHOULD be doing across all markets. At best it's an indicator of what 'some' things have done.. and I don't even think it's a good representative anymore across common household things.

To the OP - the chart shows the intended purpose IMO. Price increases have not been linear... they don't match the government's tracked change in trends...

To the point of 'shareholder value' - beyond tracking the share price there is little justification of the correlation of these trends... we don't get to see where that extra money is spent in the organization to support that 'shareholder value'. What if that extra money is just going towards increased overhead inefficiencies?

probably because as the USD dollar real value decreases (Gov. pretty much owing everyone money) , the production moving to china.. the real value of the country monetary levels go down( despite huge billionaire gains of the big corps.. but these big wins only help a minuscule percentage.)
hence why companies are giving less money for more work to employees. this leads into less expending by employees.. and less money circulating.. which means higher inflation.
But then.... I'm no expert in economy to really describe most of what's going or or to understand it.

YES! EXACTLY THIS!
I've said it before: if I chose where to vacation based on stock prices, I would probably be touring a pharmaceutical plant somewhere.
or a Foxconn/intel Fab. heh!

If you think Disney isn't putting enough money into the parks, vent your anger where it should go. The NFL and other sports that have sucked billions from Disney for the privilege of showing ball games on ABC. Frankly I wish ABC would stop chasing sports... they cost way to much to televise they then just pass the costs onto the advertisers that then pass them on to the customers, so whether I even watch a game or not I'm paying more for my car tires simply because some athlete is getting paid a huge salary for playing... Now that's my view as a shareholder of Disney... as for the ticket prices, raise them more. I wish they were twice as high. Or at the very least do away with the multi-day discounts. I want the park to charge so much that when I go there I don't feel like I'm at central station at rush hour.

Problem is, sports are huge attention getters. so they are valued a lot.

Just look how much money the superbowl and the Soccer World Cup (or champions league) generate.

agree!

Absolutely agree, that SF and Disney aren't the same.
Personally, I don't see the value in the regular pass when parking is $22 per visit. So Gold is worth it for the savings if you plan to go more than once. And as someone without kids, buying 4 is never necessary so I never can snag it for $85.

o_O... Im sorry, did you say $979? Wow.... I can't imagine parting with $979 for a season pass anywhere... :greedy:
I need a pay raise :hilarious:
now add the hotel and the food plan ;)

(edit, I apologize in advance if my comment seemed rude to anyone, sometimes what I write seems to look more.. offensive than I try to portray and say. This of course is not because I WANT TO, just sometimes I do not know the proper words to explain properly some specific stuff without sounding like a douc**b*g.)

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I wonder how many one day tickets are even sold. I would think the majority of tickets are for 4+ days, how would a 7 day ticket compare with the CPI?
It's rather difficult to compare other tickets since not all ticket types have always existed, and some benefits were added or removed over time.

Generally speaking, since their inceptions, 3, 4, and 5 day ticket prices have increased much faster than 1-day tickets. However, this is not surprising. As WDW added theme parks, it makes sense that the prices of longer tickets went up at rates faster than 1-day tickets.

Annual Pass prices have increased at about the same rate as 1-day tickets.

7-day tickets did not exist until 1995, when they became available to onsite guests only. They became available to everyone in 1997. Going with either ticket, 7 day tickets have increased at a rate a bit slower than 1-day tickets, unless you add in the "no expiration" option, which was included in many types of 7-day tickets until 2005, in which case they've increase faster than 1-day tickets.

ddbowdoin

so what...

Disney is by no means a right we have as Americans, or citizens of the world.

It is a true luxury item, if you can't afford it... that is neither mine, nor anyones on this forums, problem but your very own.

so what...

Disney is by no means a right we have as Americans, or citizens of the world.

It is a true luxury item, if you can't afford it... that is neither mine, nor anyones on this forums, problem but your very own.
Obviously we can afford it, nor has anyone said it's a right....I don't think the issue is about affordability as much as about pillaging pockets because you can.

bethymouse

It is getting more expensive, but everything is these days.:(:cry: We may not get to go this year because we need a new heating system for our house , and some other house fixer-uppers.:grumpy: Hopefully though we can save $$$. I do know now that unfortunately if we want to go to WDW we must budget for it and stay off site.:( The ticket prices aren't really the problem to me, it's the resort stays. I have to save over $5,000 to stay at a resort that I like ( unfortunately deluxe-spoiled).:arghh: That's only for 6 nights and 7 days, driving, no dining plan, no discounts/deals, and a 4 day ticket ( no park hopper or extras). Oh the agony!:in pain:

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
The other thing to remember is that the Entertainment and Recreation segment today has parks in multiple countries as opposed to 1982 when there was California and Florida. This shows that they are investing in the theme parks, just not the one you want them to.
I agree completely with what you wrote but note it goes back to the core reason why I started this thread.

Disney has raised WDW ticket prices tremendously since the late 1990s but is investing that money elsewhere (including stock dividends and stock options ;)). WDW also has another 24,000 hotel rooms plus another 4,400 (and counting) DVC rooms. WDW is generating an awe-inspiring amount of profit for corporate Disney.

Disproportionately, that money is not going back into WDW.

Recall that throughout the 1970s and 1980s, WDW almost single-handedly kept what's now called The Walt Disney Company afloat. Back then, Disney pulled a lot of money out of WDW to keep the doors open but also pumped a lot back in. Disney management respected the awesome financial power of WDW and treated it accordingly.

Today's Disney management takes WDW for granted.

And there's simply no excuse for WDW's declining quality when Disney still has a quality product in DCL, TDL, and DLR. When then want to, Disney still knows how to produce a quality product.

If continued, price increases, stagnation, quality cuts, and maintenance cuts are going to cost WDW dearly in the not-too-distant future.

Detroit auto manufactures got away with a similar attitude for decades before it came back to bite them (and taxpayers).

Detroit belittled Japanese manufacturers for years until consumers wised up and abandoned Detroit in droves.

I'm hoping WDW does not repeat Detroit's mistakes.

Prior to 2010, there was no competition in Orlando. WDW was safe. WDW will continue to be "safe" for years to come. However, they are coasting on the wise investments of their predecessors.

I've heard a thing or two and no one in Burbank is calling MyMagic+ a "wise" investment right now. ;)

The central Florida theme park landscape has changed since the NextGen initiative was launched. How quickly will Disney management adapt to the new landscape?

Right now, I'm not too optimistic.

Last edited:
It is getting more expensive, but everything is these days.:(:cry: We may not get to go this year because we need a new heating system for our house , and some other house fixer-uppers.:grumpy: Hopefully though we can save $$$. I do know now that unfortunately if we want to go to WDW we must budget for it and stay off site.:( The ticket prices aren't really the problem to me, it's the resort stays. I have to save over $5,000 to stay at a resort that I like ( unfortunately deluxe-spoiled).:arghh: That's only for 6 nights and 7 days, driving, no dining plan, no discounts/deals, and a 4 day ticket ( no park hopper or extras). Oh the agony!:in pain:

I think this post is the epitome of the ever-popular hashtag #FirstWorldProblems hahaha

ddbowdoin

Obviously we can afford it, nor has anyone said it's a right....I don't think the issue is about affordability as much as about pillaging pockets because you can.

No one has ever said it's a right, I completely agree... but some things don't have to be typed. It is the sentiment that is behind these posts that shows the type of self-entitlement people have these days. The Walt Disney Company plays in the open market, it charges what the market will bare.

The idea of "pillaging pockets" is a talking point, it's moot, it's a fallacy...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom