Out of control WDW ticket prices

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
If ticket prices were more inline with the Six Flags prices, then we'd also have some of the problems in those parks. For the most part, a family can still safely visit a Disney park that is clean, friendly, etc... I can't say that about Six Flags ... we stopped taking the kids years ago when we didn't like the 'guests' and the appearance at the parks. Yes, it costs a bit more to go to Disney but it's where I CHOOSE to spend MY money.

I'd agree, the Disney pricepoint and remoteness does tend to thin the herd. Six Flags (at least some of them) targets a different demographic.

3WaltFans

The complacency of the company seems to have spread into the guests...
There's a dangerous cycle...

images

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
You can't in one sentence quote the estimated billions spent on My Disney Experience/Magic Bands/Fast Pass+, and then say that they aren't investing in the parks in the next.
MyMagic+ originally was supposed to cost about $800M. Adjusted for inflation, that's about $330M in 1982 dollars. That's how much Disney intended to spend for MyMagic+.

For comparison, a much smaller Disney company spent $1.9B to build EPCOT. Disney then proceeded to build another theme park, a water park, an entertainment district, along with adding numerous attractions and other forms of entertainment that same decade.

In 1982, the Entertainment & Recreation segment (encompassing the theme parks) profits were $130M. (By the way, profits from the rest of Disney were about $23M. Disney's financial problem wasn't with its parks and resorts; it was everywhere else within the company.)

In 2013, Parks & Resorts profits were $2.2B, about $900M in 1982 dollars.

The 1980s and 1990s gave us EPCOT, Disney-MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, DisneyQuest, Pleasure Island and numerous popular attractions such as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Rock n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and Test Track.

All at a time when ticket prices tracked closely to the CPI.

The 2010s gave us New Fantasyland (about $180M in 1982 dollars), MyMagic+ ($330M), and DAK expansions including Pandora (estimated to be $800M, about $330M in 1982 dollars).

Today's investments pale in comparison to the 1980s and 1990s.

Last edited:

MY_NAME_STITCH

Quote="psukardi, post: 5913002, member: 84592"]Who says they have to?[/quote]

You're right. We have to remember that Disney is a major corporation with shareholders to please. They are lucky to have a cash cow like the parks in their portfolio. They have no obligation to us to invest more money in the parks or to hold the line on ticket prices.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ticket increases are a given especially with a company like Disney and I agree

They are having trouble filling the park, people are still flocking to the world. I have to say though, I can't see then going over the 100 mark before tax for a few years. I'd say once Pandora is built then for sure we can see $100 days .

I think THIS year will be the year we break the $100 barrier, The Street is very concerned about the NGE spending and a price increase in the face of this will go well with the street.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
If ticket prices were more inline with the Six Flags prices, then we'd also have some of the problems in those parks. For the most part, a family can still safely visit a Disney park that is clean, friendly, etc... I can't say that about Six Flags ... we stopped taking the kids years ago when we didn't like the 'guests' and the appearance at the parks. Yes, it costs a bit more to go to Disney but it's where I CHOOSE to spend MY money.
No one is comparing WDW to Six Flags.

However, since you brought it up ...

My local Six Flags charges $55 for a season pass.

Universal charges $280 for an out-of-state Annual Pass.

WDW charges $609.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

WDW charges $609.

And which of them are INVESTING in their parks, Seems that both Six Flags and UNI are investing heavily systemwide while Disney is increasing prices and decreasing investment. Heck even Great America in San Jose is making investments and they are only open 5 months per year!

discos

How many months is an operating season for a six flags park? My local cedar fair park costs about $80 for a season pass but it's only opened everyday for 3 months and just weekends in May, sept and October. So yea I expect it tobe the price it is given the season and what they offer: it's not disney.

If you wanted to compare UNI and a cedar fair or six flags park I think its more it's more comparable to an annual pass price for universal, but still universal has much better theming, attractions and also has two parks.

But comparing the six flags or cedar fair park to disney is like comparing apples to oranges: disney has 4 parks, much more theming, more attractions, more shows, just a lot more to offer in whole than any seasonal park. If you break down the annual pass price per day it's less than 2 bucks a day for 4 parks. I would say if uni had two more parks then you'd see AP prices around the $550 mark. So when you really look at all the factors I would say all the prices are competitive when comparing what each offers.

draybook

They are a for-profit company. The goal isn't to take every penny they earn and dump it back into more rides and attractions. Would I like more rides? You bet. But they have a job to do and for the most part it seems to be OK. The first time visitor isn't going to notice. The BTG isn't going to care. They'll still pack the place and make the $

Believe it or not, you can please shareholders while putting out a superior product......I'm looking at you Apple.....

Disvillain63

WDW charges $609.
I'd still pay and do pay WDW prices, because the environment of the parks/resort is worth it to me. $55 at Six Flags is not a bargain when the environment is not what I want to expose my family too. We went to Uni and didn't enjoy it. Again, like I said, it's a personal choice of what I want to do with my money.

psukardi

Believe it or not, you can please shareholders while putting out a superior product......I'm looking at you Apple.....

Ya? You mean by charging out the wazoo for their products? A 13" Mac Book Pro starts at roughly $1300 for a bare-bones system. You could get the same Windows Based laptop for several hundred dollars less. Maybe Disney is doing the same thing. Having a nice product at a price-point that matches what you get

psukardi

I'd still pay and do pay WDW prices, because the environment of the parks/resort is worth it to me. $55 at Six Flags is not a bargain when the environment is not what I want to expose my family too. We went to Uni and didn't enjoy it. Again, like I said, it's a personal choice of what I want to do with my money.

What don't you want to expose your family to? I love how everyone is tip-toeing around it in fear of being racially insensitive. Just say it and get out of your system.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
I'm looking at Disney Cruise Line.

Or Tokyo Disneyland.

Or even the new and improved Disneyland Resort.

Other parts of Disney's Parks & Resorts segment provide a superior product.

Corporate Disney simply chooses not to anymore at Walt Disney World. :mad:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom