Our road trip, resort hopping, HOT, HOT, HOT trip report: August 9-21, 2010

I just got back a few days ago, and while laundry waits for me, I was excited to get started on this.

We are a family of six. There is me, Jenn, my hubby, Sam, 15 year old daughter, drama queen, Lexy (or as she has taken to calling herself by her middle name this trip Ariana :lol:), 9 year old daughter and mini drama queen, Lainey, 8 year old son, Roderick, and finally 6 year old daughter, Bella.

This was our first trip ever driving. My parents drove down when I was a kid, but we have never driven as adults. I was super excited for this new adventure. Sam was really not excited at all! He kept checking every day for flight prices to see if they had dropped.

I think because of this new experience there was more drama and crankiness before the trip. Sam and I were at each other a bit. Maybe that had something to do with the fact that I had this horrible mosquito bite. I had been itching it for days and on Saturday, the day we planned on leaving, it was very red and puffy looking. Really half of the back of my calf was involved. I asked Sam if he had ever seen a bug bite look like that and he said no. So we headed to the urgent care because I was worried that if it was getting infected that it would only get worse during our trip. So we spent two hours sitting around in a tiny boxlike room waiting to see a doctor for a prescription. It was crazy and not like we didn't have a million things to do. So we were snapping at each other a little, and I think at this point I didn't even want to go on the trip any more. I was ready to just scrap it. But we went home and starting throwing stuff in suitcases. Sam would have loved to been packed already but since I'm the procrastinator it wasn't done. Needless to say we were running late from our self-imposed leave time. Sam said if we were flying we would have missed the plane.

But at 10:30 at night we were finally ready to go. Here is the three little ones excited to get started. Lexy was cranky and too cool for this picture.

IMG_8517.jpg

I have a picture of Sam before we left, but he insisted on loading the garage with the door closed so not everyone would know we were leaving on vacation so he was hot and sweaty. :lol:

We have a 26 hour drive ahead of us without stops, be we left Saturday night because at this point we don't know if we'll want to stop and rest somewhere. We are due in on Monday the 9th and I wanted to be there right away in the morning. So here we go!

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
Keep it coming....you're hair looks fine. It's Disney, we are practically perfect when we are there. It's the pixie dust in the air!

:lol: Oh, that is definitely not the worst of my hair. The absolute worst day was at AK after riding Kali. I was completely soaked and decided to just throw it up in a binder. :eek: Not a good look for me. Sam insisted that we take photopass pictures in front of the tree. I mean really, that's when you decide to do it? :lol: The pixie dust must have been missing that day, but I do really like your theory. :D

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
The kids wanted to do Splash, but my hair just couldn't handle that. It was pretty amazing, since the park was crowded, but frontierland for some reason wasn't. The wait for BTMRR said 20 minutes, so we jumped on. It really wasn't even that long.

Here comes our train.

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8663.jpg

Now the kids love to raise their hands while riding the entire time. I turned around and Lainey and Roddy were having a great time. I kept trying to get Lainey's head- she kept d__________g under the bar, but as you can see I was unsuccessful.

IMG_8665.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

After big thunder, we just wandered around and made our way to Pirates. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I'm a character stalker. I don't know what was with my children, but they just weren't that interested on this trip. I blame the heat and the fact that they now can all go on the big rides. But when we came up to pirates and pirate goofy was out, they all wanted to see him. Yay! A first for us!

IMG_8669.jpg

IMG_8670.jpg

Pirates is another favorite of mine. It holds so much nostalgia for me. And it was nice to be in the air for awhile. It wasn't enough though, and when we went back into the heat we decided that we needed something. Sam decided that a citrus whip would be just the thing.

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

The kids were being weird and didn't want some, so they just all got drinks.

IMG_8677.jpg

This was right before Lainey dropped her Root Beer on the ground. I don't know what she was doing, but one minute it was in her hands and the next it was on the ground. She was pretty traumatized over it. I think she was just mad at herself. I offered to get her another one, but she wouldn't have any of that. She did continue to talk about it during the trip. Everytime we went by the spot she would say, "There's where I dropped my root beer." Funny kid.

IMG_8678.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

loving your trip report jenn! and such great pictures! my boyfriend's family are dvc members and their home resort is okw. they absolutely love it! that is one long drive you all had! but you made it and it looks like you all had a wonderful time! i leave in 14 days and just can't wait so this report is helping me make it these last two weeks! can't wait to read the rest of your report!

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
loving your trip report jenn! and such great pictures! my boyfriend's family are dvc members and their home resort is okw. they absolutely love it! that is one long drive you all had! but you made it and it looks like you all had a wonderful time! i leave in 14 days and just can't wait so this report is helping me make it these last two weeks! can't wait to read the rest of your report!

Thanks, Ashley! We absolutely loved OKW too! I suppose our room could have used a renovation, but the resort is so lovely!

Looks like I'll have another trip report to read soon! :sohappy: Glad I can make your wait go a little quicker! Hopefully I'll finish this thing before you leave! :lol:

sweetpee_1993

Sam liked to take pictures of my death grip on the wheel. Really it wasn't that bad. I felt completely relaxed.

IMG_8537.jpg

Tahoe or Suburban??? We have the same color leather in our Tahoe. Love the old girl...2003 w/well over 150k miles and still pulls the boat out of the water like a champ!

I love that y'all did a road trip! I wanna do that, too. From here it would be roughly 16 hours. I'd stop mid-way and crash at my Gramma's in Pensacola, Florida.

Love all the pics. Your family is totally adorable! Can't wait for mooooore..... :wave:

Wilt Dasney

Fun pictures. Your kids are very cute, and their smiles really tell the tale. It looks like you all had a good time, minus the never-ending trip through my state. :lol: :wave:

jhoff3405

Just read thru. Have to laugh at your comment "Is Georgia a never ending state?"----I totally agree!! We have driven down from Chicago more than we have flown, and Georgia kills me every time!

Beautiful family:)

Looking forward to reading more.

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
Tahoe or Suburban??? We have the same color leather in our Tahoe. Love the old girl...2003 w/well over 150k miles and still pulls the boat out of the water like a champ!

I love that y'all did a road trip! I wanna do that, too. From here it would be roughly 16 hours. I'd stop mid-way and crash at my Gramma's in Pensacola, Florida.

Love all the pics. Your family is totally adorable! Can't wait for mooooore..... :wave:

'02 Suburban. Ours has over 150K on it too. We love the room! We totally couldn't have done it with anything else! Sam wanted to get a roof topper which we never did. And we could barely fit everything in as it is.

Fun pictures. Your kids are very cute, and their smiles really tell the tale. It looks like you all had a good time, minus the never-ending trip through my state. :lol: :wave:

It's a very lovely state though. Sam and I both commented on how we loved the trees along the interstate. We have big walls along ours here and I much prefer the trees.

Hey thats my town too! Although Im not a UL fan it is cool you came through the city! :sohappy:

We can't all be fans!

Just read thru. Have to laugh at your comment "Is Georgia a never ending state?"----I totally agree!! We have driven down from Chicago more than we have flown, and Georgia kills me every time!

Beautiful family:)

Looking forward to reading more.

It's funny. I never knew what a big state it was until I was traveling through it! It's because you go through Atlanta so soon, then have soooo much more to go through.

I absolutely love these two shots, especially that first one! And I find it hilarious that Sam won't even look at a picture of the Haunted Mansion bride; although, I can't say I blame him... she is rather creepy. :lol:

The AP shot was actually Sam's idea. I was just so hot that I wanted to get out of there, but he insisted. He actually calls himself a better photographer than me even though he has no idea how to use my camera besides just push the button.

I don't think she's creepy at all. Maybe Sam should be worried considering his rude comments on my photography! :lookaroun:D

I think that is so funny too! Who knew Sam was so bothered by her?:lol:

Once I found out, it was all over. I rode once with him this time, and he was sitting there saying don't take a picture, don't take a picture.

Loving it so far! Cute family!

Now I cant wait to get down there, 25 more days!!!!! :sohappy:

More, more!

Yay for 25 more days! I wish I was going too! Although I suppose I do need a vacation from my vacation!

sweetpee_1993

Oh yeah! Tooooooo funny about Sam & the HM bride. You should so dress up as her for Halloween, old white gown w/bluish white make-up. Then you can follow him around with the etherial voice. Lol! So funny!

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
Ok, people, we're still on Monday August 9th. Sorry I can't cut anything out!

Everytime I walked by the CP, I thought, "I'll be eating here soon."

IMG_8679.jpg

We headed over to tomorrowland because finally everyone was tall enough to ride Space Mountain!

IMG_8680.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg

Bella had to hold her drink til the last second. She's always thirsty!

IMG_8683.jpg

IMG_8684.jpg

My kids love when I put them in the sun and have them take a picture.

Notice the ominous sky. We got so lucky on this day. We'd go in somewhere and come out and think, "Huh, the ground looks wet. Must have rained." It was fabulous. We were not always so lucky.

IMG_8685.jpg

Yay for first rides!

IMG_8687.jpg

It's so obvious that I didn't know where the camera was.

IMG_8689.jpg

IMG_8690.jpg

Bella loved Space! She was right in front of me and I could hear her giggling the whole time! It was too funny!

Afterwords, it was time for a bathroom break. It sure felt humid out after the rain!

IMG_8691.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
While we were in line for Space some nice people gave us their fastpasses for later in the evening. They weren't staying, and I can't blame them- it was hot and packed. We thanked them and took their 8 fastpasses and found 2 people to give the extra to, although it was harder than it would seem.

The dance party was just starting too. We checked it out from a distance. It was mobbed. I just wanted a picture of the super cute characters, so I managed to elbow my way in for a quick snap.

IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

Sam was like what do you want to do? I was thinking I was hot! He said, what about the cars? I thought, are you crazy? But guess who won? The wait wasn't terrible and the kids love it, so what are you gonna do?

We always have to take a picture of the drivers together. Lexy wanted to ride by herself for a change, but Lainey wasn't quite tall enough to ride on her own. So, she had to ride with Bella, who was nice and said Lexy could steer.

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8697.jpg

IMG_8698.jpg

IMG_8700.jpg

Roddy was actually quite a good driver!

IMG_8703.jpg

Now this is dedication! Sam is trying to watch Lainey while holding the camera back and filming us. I'm sure that's some great film!

IMG_8714.jpg

eagles

i am loving it. thanks so much for the updates, something to read while drinking my tea. however, i finally smartened up and was not drinking while reading. i hate cleaning off the keyboard and monitor.

but i just laughted so hard at the hard shot, that is too funny jenn!
poor bella looks HOT. and you are terrible making them look into the sun for those photos. :ROFLOL:

that is also funny about the hm bride. i would totally dress up like that for halloween if my hubby had this problem.

wow, space mountain has changed since i last rode. you sit by yourself :eek: when i went last you sat directly in front of someone. i don't think i could handle this.

more, more! and please do not leave anything out! :lol:

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
As the kids get older, this is always the debate as to who is going to have to ride in the non spinning tea cup with me. Lexy said she was a bit queasy so she volunteered along with Bella.

IMG_8718.jpg

After all that, it was time for our fastpasses to Space. I took a picture of the castle while walking by.

IMG_8725.jpg

Second ride on space!

IMG_8726.jpg

Sam is so silly!

IMG_8727.jpg

Ready to go!

IMG_8728.jpg

Ahh, now I know where the camera is.

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
i am loving it. thanks so much for the updates, something to read while drinking my tea. however, i finally smartened up and was not drinking while reading. i hate cleaning off the keyboard and monitor.

but i just laughted so hard at the hard shot, that is too funny jenn!
poor bella looks HOT. and you are terrible making them look into the sun for those photos. :ROFLOL:

that is also funny about the hm bride. i would totally dress up like that for halloween if my hubby had this problem.

wow, space mountain has changed since i last rode. you sit by yourself :eek: when i went last you sat directly in front of someone. i don't think i could handle this.

more, more! and please do not leave anything out! :lol:

I'm glad you didn't have to clean off the keyboard! :lol:

I know, where is child protective services? I'm a horrible mother! :lookaroun:lol:

I'm definitely thinking about a halloween costume!

And you still ride in front of someone on Space. There are three to a cab and six in total in the ride vehicle. It worked out perfectly for our family!

And I don't think you have to worry about me leaving anything out! It seems like I'll be posting everything! :D

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
After our second ride on space, it was time to head to the contemporary for dinner. I'm am cutting out about 100 pictures Sam took of us walking out of MK. He was being a papparazzi and just holding the camera and snapping. He'd hold it over his head, or at his waist. Some of them are super funny, some are super blurry, but I don't think I need to post them here. Most are quite unflattering! :lol:

The kids were excited to see some characters at dinner and were really thrilled to be staying on the monorail in a few days.

IMG_8779.jpg

We had to wait a bit for a table, but Bella and Roddy made themselves at home.

IMG_8760.jpg

Lainey was upset that we had forgotten the autograph book in the car today. Not that we don't have their autographs from other trips, but I guess you need to get them every trip. We saw these characters again, though, so it was all good!

IMG_8762.jpg

IMG_8765.jpg

IMG_8772.jpg

IMG_8774.jpg

IMG_8777.jpg

Ummm, yes we have to get in a picture, Sam! What are you thinking?

IMG_8778.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom