Our last minute first ever trip without the kids: August 2009

Well, we did it. We actually took a trip to the world without our four kids. I really felt kind of bad about taking a trip without them, but after our fiascos on the plane I'm really glad we did it. I'm sure on our next trip our kids will be the best behaved young ones ever. :D

So let's back up a bit. It all started when my dh, Sam, came home from work after hearing about low airfares. He went straight to the computer and started looking at booking a quick trip for the two of us. I rolled my eyes at him and thought that he could look all he wanted, but there was no way we were taking a trip! Then, he started looking into disney...:lookaroun

I started thinking how we really deserved this trip...I had just finished school and got my license to teach, I had had eye surgery in June to correct a detached retina, Sam had been working a lot of overtime...we could use a break. Then we realized that if we used our points, we would only need to pay for air fare and food for this trip. Sold!!! :sohappy:

I booked the next day and the only thing available was Saratoga or Old Key West. We had never stayed at OKW, so we booked a studio. We waitlisted for BWV, but with only a month to be on the waitlist I figured we would never get it. We were happy to try something new anyway. We were very excited to get our vacation info in the mail!

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

Here we are all ready to go, when two days before we get off the waitlist it actually comes through!! Now we have to get into the mindset of staying at BWV. I think we can manage!

IMG_4080.jpg

IMG_4081.jpg

lilclerk

Those pictures made me so happy for you :lol: Those ME booklets really give you the butterfly-in-your-stomach feeling!

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
Allright, I'll try to do a little bit more before I take my youngest out to get her ears pierced.

So we got up on August 25th at 4 am to get ready, pack and leave for the airport. We decided to let the kids sleep in and said our goodbyes the night before. I believe I was a bit cranky at this time. I'm not much of an early riser.

We managed to get on the plane easy enough. It is amazing how much easier it is to travel with just two adults. We each could roll our own suitcase. It was a piece of cake.

That ended once we boarded the plane. Somehow we always manage to find the kids bumping the back of your seat the entire flight. I'm always amazed at how oblivious some parents can be to what the children are doing. I guess I don't notice it so much when we're flying with our kids because I spend the entire time making sure that they are not bothering others on the plane. But I could really notice it this time! Sam is a big guy and his legs barely fit in the space before him. So he has to move them around a bit to maintain circulation. Well, it never failed that whenever he would move them behind the armrest in front of him, the kid in that seat would forcefull put the armrest up and knock his knees with it. He was just playing with the armrest up and down, but Sam would always forget and move his knee a bit and get hit with it. I'm sure you could imagine how much he loved it. I had the kid behind me raising and lowering the tray forcefully over and over again. We were happy to land in Orlando! :D Oh, I forgot to mention the sweet girl next to me who fell asleep and kept resting her feet on my seat and leg. I tried not to think of where her shoes had been. She spilled her drink all over and I had to hurry to flag the flight attendant for napkins before it went on me. :lol:

We couldn't wait to get on magical express and really start our vacation! I thought it was weird that they didn't ask us to check in at the desk, we just started through the line and they checked us in that way.

Our room wasn't ready at the Boardwalk, so we decided to head to Epcot for a bit of lunch. Sam had to take my picture right away and some lovely gentlemen offered to take a picture of both of us that somehow didn't turn out at all. :lol: But the thought was very nice.

IMG_4156.jpg

I somehow managed to ignore the heat and snap a few pictures during the walk to Epcot.

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4159.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
I love entering into Epcot through the International Gateway! We were so thrilled to be using our annual passes again!

So what should you do if you just came from Minnesota that has had absolutely no summer at all so you are completely unused to the humidity and are sweating profusely? Well, you should start drinking alcohol of course! :lol: So we did.

IMG_4162.jpg

Another lovely gentleman saw Sam taking this picture and offered to take one of both of us again. This one turned out better.

IMG_4163.jpg

I love palm trees, probably because I don't get to see them very often.

IMG_4164.jpg

Now here is where I got disappointed with myself. I call myself a character hunter, yet when I saw Mulan out in front of China I think the heat got to me. I actually said to Sam, nah we don't have to stop even though we rarely see her out and about. We decided to grab lunch there instead. What was I thinking? I'm not sure I was able to think at all. :lol: We were laughing as we sat eating. Everyone around us seemed relatively comfortable. We were completely red faced with sweat pouring down our faces. We must have made quite a sight. Here's Sam trying to make the best of it.

IMG_4166.jpg

eagles

oh cool jenn! come on write more, you know i want more words! of course i like the pictures also, so add lots or words and lots of pix.

great start, but now i will have to sit here refreshing. :D

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
We somehow managed to peel ourselves from our seats and continue on our way. :lol:

It wasn't long after that we were coming up on Norway and saw montymon and son- I recognized you from your snazzy orange hats, but you'll have to excuse me for being rude and not stopping. Sam was already halfway to Maelstrom and my one goal was just getting somewhere that was relatively cooler. :lookaroun

After our little break inside, I was ready for more alcohol.

IMG_4167.jpg

We sat on a bench to drink our margaritas before going inside.

IMG_4168.jpg

We were feeling like a fiesta so we went and sat in front of some people talking the entire time about how they don't remember the cartoons in the ride. :brick:

IMG_4169.jpg

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

IMG_4172.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
oh cool jenn! come on write more, you know i want more words! of course i like the pictures also, so add lots or words and lots of pix.

great start, but now i will have to sit here refreshing. :D

I thought maybe I was using too many words! :lol:

Mukta

I love your report so far! I am 6 days away from walking throught the International Gateway myself. Seeing your pictures is really exciting for me.
Were your kids ok with you guys being gone? How did they take the news when you told them?

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
I love your report so far! I am 6 days away from walking throught the International Gateway myself. Seeing your pictures is really exciting for me.
Were your kids ok with you guys being gone? How did they take the news when you told them?

Thanks! I bet you can't wait to go through those gates!!!

Our kids were ok. It was kind of a last minute trip. Our son tried to bribe us to leave the girls at home and take just him. :lol: On our last trip they got kind of whiny at times and Sam told them that if they continued that next time he'd take just me with him. Well, little did we all know that that's exactly what would happen. I know they'll remember that on our next trip! :D

Loving this report!

Thanks!

Those drinks look so good - 23 days to go, International Gateway here we come!

Woohoo! Bet you can't wait! And those drinks were really good!

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
After our fiesta, we decided to check out the wait for Test Track. It was over an hour, but luckily since it was just the two of us we could ride single rider! This would become a theme for us this trip. It was so great to get on quickly since we really don't care if we ride together.

IMG_4175.jpg

I rode with an Asian family that was so funny. I think this was their first ride, and the mom was right next to me. She was so cute. She was screaming right from the beginning. Then she turns to me and told me that I need to help her scream because it's no fun being the only one. I felt a bit silly, but I let loose with her and it was kind of fun. :lookaroun

We then checked out Spaceship Earth. It's so not Sam's favorite, but he did it for me.

IMG_4178.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4180.jpg

IMG_4181.jpg

IMG_4182.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

I know I took a lot of those pictures, but it's the only time that Sam and I get to do it together. :lol:

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
We decided we should start to head to Rose and Crown for our dinner reservations. Along the way, Sam insisted that we just check LeCellier and see if there was any walk up available, I told him there wouldn't be, but he still wanted to check.

IMG_4185.jpg

And he also insisted on this. He's really not happy unless he can make me look dorky.

IMG_4187.jpg

Rose and Crown was good. I didn't end up taking any food pictures on this trip really. I know, what was I thinking? But I mainly kept the 50 mm lens on the camera this trip and it would have been hard for me to get the food in unless I wanted to stand on my chair, which I certainly didn't. :lol:

So Sam's steak looked really delicious, I would have had more than one bite had he not had it finished before I even had half of my fish and chips down. During dinner I realized I had gotten my text saying our room was ready and I was psyched to check it out. So we headed there once we were done.

We ended up on the fifth floor, the room was just fine, although being used to a 2 bedroom I must say I did miss the extra space.

Here are a bunch of pics of the studio.

IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

Now since it was just the hubby and I, we were definitely not wasting points on a boardwalk view. We were trying to use the least amount of points possible. So I was pleasantly surprised by our standard view. It really wasn't so bad.

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

At least until you look down and see the construction going on below you.

IMG_4200.jpg

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
I guess I have some bathroom pics too.

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

And the cute mickey in the carpet.

IMG_4208.jpg

Now please excuse my chubby fred flintstone feet, but I had to take this picture. I have been in love with my fit flops for so long now. I'm not sure if they're making my butt any smaller, but they are really comfortable flip flops and they make me at least an inch taller!!! So imagine my delight when I was in the epcot gift shop and they had.....wait for it.........Mickey Mouse fit flops!!!!!!!! :sohappy: My old ones are black so I had to get a brown pair!

IMG_4209.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Jenn!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited you are already writing!!:sohappy::sohappy:

I love it! I totally understand about the "melt your face off heat". No words can describe it!:lol:

I am appalled you did not go see Mulan, but I understand.:lol:

Your flip flops are adorable, and you're right, that's a neat view!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom